sonicboom + .B or .D Ground Sabre - EX

Desperation moves

QCFHCB + .A or .C [air] V-Slasher - EX

QCBHCF + .B or .D - Super Ground Sabre

NeoMax

Console Changes
* Voltec Launcher chips less guard meter
- Strike Arch (directon move) comes out faster
* Fierce V-Slasher has different angle; weak travels short, fierce goes far. EX version is the same as the arcade.
- Ground Saber has longer recovery when blocked. About even when fierce version gets blocked.
- Moon Slasher has less hitback when blocked. All of them (weak, fierce, EX) are easier to get punished than the arcade.
- EX X-Caliber comes out faster. Still can’t be comboed from a normal or direction attack.

Producer Yamamoto says: Moves such as the Ground Saber and Moon Slasher are easier to get punished so be careful. We’ve balanced her so that she can do things such as attack strings with her EX X-Calibur, or break into the opponent with her Strike Arch. Her Fierce V slasher has been buffed, and she’s a character that’s good in various occasions such as air-to-air combat or against projectiles.
Movelist Vid
EX Move and Cancel Timing Guide
Starts at 3:38

Leona Basic Combos Guide by Robocop Two
In this game Leona is still quite fast and mobile, she can get around fireballs relatively eaily and has some decent basic combos the first being.....

cr.B, cr.B, st.B, f+B, qcb+A

This is your basic low combo, it doesn't do great damage but it's a staple of her game so very much worth learning and making consistent.

As I'm sure you will be aware once you play the game f+B has a strange jumping kick animation to it, this is because this is her command normal that I previously talked about. Leona is classed as in the air during this move so she can't be thrown, it is an overhead if you do it on it's own but if you put it in a combo it loses those properties (so don't worry about standing up to block it) and because she is in the air she can cancel into her air special and super moves.

The next combo is her jump in variation which is.....

j.C, st.C (2hits), f+B, qcb+A

This has the same ending as the previous combo, so once you perfect the first one, this one should be incredibly easy. Additionally the reason why you need to use the qcb+A and not qcb+C is because the qcb+C moves at a different angle and so misses the opponent in this situation. There are other combos that use qcb+C but we'll get on to them later.

Okay, so you have Leona's 2 basic combos down but what happens if you have some Super Meter? This is the faded orange/yellow bar at the bottom of the screen so if you have some super meter stocked (and by the way, some of the older players call super meter 'Stock' just so you don't get confused) here are some nice variations.

So if you have 1 bar.....

cr.B, cr.B, st.B, f+B, qcf.hcb+A

and

j.C, st.C (2 hits), f+B, qcf.hcb+A

and if you have 2 bars

cr.B, cr.B, st.B, f+B, qcf.hcb+AC

and

j.C, C(2 hits), f+B, qcf.hcb+AC

As you can see, some of these supers require you to press 2 punch attacks, this is because these are a more powerful version of the original super. In games such as SF4, you have normal special moves you where you press one button or EX special moves and where you press 2 buttons, this game is no different in that for normal supers you press 1 button, and for EX supers you press 2. EX supers cost 2 super bars and every character has at least 1 EX super which are usually very good.

Leona Intermediate Combos

Okay so this is where Leona gets tricky (and really quite good). So you must be thinking, but what if the opponent blocks all my lows and reacts to my jump ins, what can I do? Well just like every other character Leona has a throw but Leona is quite special and she has on thing that can help here out so take a look

here

and here

What you have just seen is Leona's neutral jump D cancelled into her air super and EX super. As you guys know, jumping attacks are overheads and Leona's neutral j.D hits so low to the ground that it can hit a crouching opponent and so it acts like an instant overhead, this is then cancelled into the super for a very quick, very dangerous mix-up.

To do this is quite tricky, what you are doing is buffering a neutral jump in the middle of her super motion (qcf.hcb). While you are on the ground you start the motion of the super by doing qcf, you then need to jump vertically so you have to move from forward to up and miss out up forwards which is the first tricky step, if you jump forwards then Leona's j'D has a different animation and won't connect on a crouching opponent properly. Once you have performed the verticle jump press D as soon as you leave the ground for the fastest possible overhead. After Leona has jumped I find it easiest to go straight back to forwards and rotate the stick all the way round to back and press A or A and C to cancel the j.D and get my nice overhead damage.

Once you have these combos down your Leona is well on the way to greatness, her speed and range of normals is really quite good and her incredibly fast overhead into super gives her incredibly strong meter based mix-ups which every character in the game has to be aware of.

Leona Advanced Combos

But what if you wanted to be even better?

How can Leona do more I hear you ask, the answer is the corner. The office. Her place of business.

In this game there is a mechanism called the Drive bar, this is the green bar above your super meter. Up until this point you may have wondered what it was for and it does 1 thing but it allows you to do it in multiple ways, this bar allows you to cancel special moves into any other special, EX special, Super, EX super or Neo Max (Neo max is like an X-Ray, lvl3 super or Ultra). This works in a similar, but quicker way than an FADC. Instead of performing the move, pressing 2 buttons, dashing and then performing the second move all you need to do is perform one move and then perform the second move when the first hits. This is called Drive Cancelling (DC) and allows you to extend out your combos, this makes things faster (and you do have to perform things faster) but it makes things much easier once you practice it.

j.C, C(2 hits), f+B, qcb+C, d~u+C, DC b~f+D, d~u+A

So what have I done here, well this is Leona's qcb+C and remember how I said the move has a different angle so it doesn't connect mid-screen, well if the opponent is in the corner there is less push back so it does connect. If the qcb+C does connect Leona doesn't bounce off, she passes through and recovers quite fast meaning you can do her Moon Slash afterwards. Just a note for the SF4 players here, charge times are much shorter in this game so if you are trying to do this like Guile or Boxer and it's taking too long, try charging a little less to see results.
Once you get passed the Moon Slash section you may be wondering how you Drive Cancel from a Moon Slash into a Running Slash so quickly, this is simple, all you have to do is perform the Moon Slash as down back and move to up back, this allows you to keep the charge for the running slash and as I have said before, it just needs to be performed fast.
The Running Slash is a little tricky though, they game does not let you perform this by going to down forward so you do need to go to forward and press D. Once you have pressed D go straight to down forward as this is faster than going to down back and gives you more time to charge you A Moon Slash. a bit of practice is required for this but once you get the Moon Slash to Running Slash Drive Cancel consistent, this combo is easy.

j.C, C(2 hits), f+B, qcb+C, d~u+C, DC b~f+D, qcf.hcb+A

So this combo looks similar but different but ends differently, this is because the Running Slash with D lifts the opponent higher than the Running Slash with B so you can perform the aireal super by doing qcf.hcb and then keep moving the stick to up back, pressing A and getting the super to come out as close to the ground as possible.

j.C, C(2 hits), f+B, qcb+C, d~u+C, DC b~f+BD, qcb.hcf+B

So this one looks similar but there are blue flashy bits as well as a Super! The blue flashy bits are infact an EX special move which costs 1 Super Meter (or Stock), so you are performing the same Running Slash Drive Cancelled in the same way but instead of pressing just D, you press B and D together. This EX special hits twice deals more damage and lifts the opponent higher so you have more time to can connect the running super.

Now I have given you one way of using Drive Cancels and I'll ask you to try another once you get the game. When you are in training mode press B and C at the same time, you're character will start to glow a yellow colour and have a trail behind them similar to Geni-Jin and your green Drive Cancel bar will start to deplete. This is called Hyper Drive mode (HD) and every character has access to this, what this allows you to do is Drive Cancel as many times as you like while you still have bar. I won't tell you the best or most efficent combos here as Leona has quite a few good ones but if you can Drive Cancel a Moon Slash into a Running Slash then you have the tools necassary to find almost anything you want to do.

If you guys have any questions or need help with performing combos the please ask any questions you want. Have fun and explore this game, you have alot of options
Perfect Stranger wrote: Arcadia Combos:
dwn .B , stand .B , fwd .B , air QCB .A , super cancel V-slasher (air qcf HCB .A / .C ).

Close .C , fwd .B , air QCB .C , flashkick C, sonicboom .D , flashkick .C or V-Slasher (air qcf HCB .A / .C ) . Corner only.

HD Combo, Corner only:

Close .C (2 hits), Hyper Drive Cancel, dwn .C ,[ flashkick .A , sonicboom .B ]x5, flashkick .A , sonicboom .D ,V-Slasher. 798 or 858 damage, 1/2 stocks.

Trick to doing moon slasher -> ground saber ( flashkick .A , sonicboom .B ) is to do db hold ub .A , fwd .B .

Other pointers from Arcadia:

Abuse Stand .C .D , can kara-cancel into sonicboom .A or sonicboom .D . If sonicboom .A hits, can V-Slasher or air .C .D . sonicboom .D gives you slight frame advantage even if blocked, can try to stuff opponent with dwn .C after.

When jumping always input qcf HCB motion, if opponent does something instantly V-Slasher, if opponent does nothing, just press .D and continue pressuring.
Moon Slasher has upper invulnerability, EX version has total invulnerability.

Vertical jump D great for wake-up pressure, mix up with empty jump low b.

Some other notes from me:

From dwn .B , stand .B , fwd .B , QCB .C will miss if not in the corner, do QCB .A instead.

Leona is a monster with lots of stock. V-Slasher is like 2k2, invincible all the way until landing. Neo Max gives her horizontal movement + invulnerability as well.
fiol

Leona's combo from Singapore:

fiol
Mode Change!
Mode Change!
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Re: KoFXIII - Leona

Post by fiol » Tue Jul 20, 2010 07:17

from zer0kage @neoempire:
Ok had alot of games yesterday.

Leona
- Feels almost exactly like her KoF2k2UM version
- Normals are teef, far C is her f+C in 12, stD is the same as 12, Rest are same interms of speed or priority. compared to 2k2.
- Ground normals wise... crA is actually shorter than the previous ones, max range crA won't guarantee the C slash move.. perhaps EX Slash. crB/crC/crD are as good as ever.
- Air normals wise... Her jC is almost Heidern's quality in the sense that it's more liable to crossup now. VSlasher can be done from jA/B/D like 2k2 again!
- Specials.. I'll get into the new stuff..
- Ground specials- Running slash is back to old school style. Still good on block but hitbox also feels bigger than before.
- Air specials- Xcalibur- A version is mad unsafe on block, (projectile), C version is safe (probably neutral?), EX is great (free mixup, but slow startup)
- Supers- Vslasher kills everything in the air as usual.

- <brb<

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Jul 21, 2010 18:34

Did I see a stand B hit low? Like Kyo/Iori's 98 stand B?

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Sat Jul 24, 2010 17:48

Not sure if I'm seeing things...but I think Leona's b&b combo is something like low B -> standing B -> f+B -> whatever. In addition to that, her normals are strong, jump C crossup is good. Unfortunately I don't really use her. But I got beat by a bunch of Leona HD cancel combos (a loop of b,f+K and d,u+P ending with her new DM).

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Sun Jul 25, 2010 01:24

Im assuming that her canceling in HD mode is like 2k2um with those 2 moves?

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Sun Jul 25, 2010 05:53

Dark_Chaotix wrote:Im assuming that her canceling in HD mode is like 2k2um with those 2 moves?
I think there's more than these two moves, IIRC in that technical reference she can cancel her air qcb+P, but how you put that into an HD combo is beyond me.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:58

Ah, i guess we will see soon enough

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:31

Arcadia Combos:
dwn .B , stand .B , fwd .B , air QCB .A , super cancel V-slasher (air qcf HCB .A / .C ).
Close .C , fwd .B , air QCB .C , flashkick C, sonicboom .D , flashkick .C or V-Slasher (air qcf HCB .A / .C ) . Corner only.

HD Combo, Corner only:
Close .C (2 hits), Hyper Drive Cancel, dwn .C ,[ flashkick .A , sonicboom .B ]x5, flashkick .A , sonicboom .D ,V-Slasher. 798 or 858 damage, 1/2 stocks.

Trick to doing moon slasher -> ground saber ( flashkick .A , sonicboom .B ) is to do db hold ub .A , fwd .B .

Other pointers from Arcadia:
Abuse Stand .C .D , can kara-cancel into sonicboom .A or sonicboom .D . If sonicboom .A hits, can V-Slasher or air .C .D . sonicboom .D gives you slight frame advantage even if blocked, can try to stuff opponent with dwn .C after.
When jumping always input qcf HCB motion, if opponent does something instantly V-Slasher, if opponent does nothing, just press .D and continue pressuring.
Moon Slasher has upper invulnerability, EX version has total invulnerability.
Vertical jump D great for wake-up pressure, mix up with empty jump low b.

Some other notes from me:

From dwn .B , stand .B , fwd .B , QCB .C will miss if not in the corner, do QCB .A instead.

Leona is a monster with lots of stock. V-Slasher is like 2k2, invincible all the way until landing. Neo Max gives her horizontal movement + invulnerability as well.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR

Re: KOF XIII: Leona Heidern

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Mon Nov 22, 2010 00:05

fiol

Leona's combo from Singapore:

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Wed Aug 10, 2011 02:53

So leona air SDM where you can juggle after it, is that character specific (ive only ever seen it on ash) and it consisted of qcb+BD small jump air SDM... I cant seem to get that consistently either. Is that similar to Liz double DM combo?

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Wed Aug 10, 2011 03:51

Dark_Chaotix wrote:So leona air SDM where you can juggle after it, is that character specific (ive only ever seen it on ash) and it consisted of qcb+BD small jump air SDM... I cant seem to get that consistently either. Is that similar to Liz double DM combo?
The V Slasher does leave the enemy open for more attacks, but to take advantage of that two conditions must be met :
- The enemy must be "above" Leona when the V Slasher lands.
- The enemy must be pretty high above the ground.

Sounds easy? Well, it's not. Naturally that's never going to happen, much less in a combo. If you check it out, you'll notice that the combo vid that uses that feature does a specific "non practical" drive cancel in order to create the circumstances to extend the combo. (the drive cancel is Moon Slasher -> EX Earring Bomb).

Speaking of, if you have access to the game, can you check out if Leona's Ex (and or normal) V Slasher are OTG? The last time I played I got the impression they where, but I can't be sure since it only happened once (non counter jump CD -> EXDM) :lol: , but I haven't traveled to that arcade in months and by the next time I go there I'll probably already have the game on console :lol:

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Wed Aug 10, 2011 04:08

At 7:30 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9pec5lGtBw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Seems kinda practical, if you have the stock and is "accessible" to do.

Only reaon im asking if for combo ideas and understanding.

Ill try what you requested above.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Thu Aug 11, 2011 02:58

No, either DM doesnt OTG....

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Thu Sep 01, 2011 09:16

I've been slowly editing all the threads, I'd like them to ultimately look like this one. If there are more volunteers who would like to help, PM me!

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Kane317 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 01:20

Good tutorial Robocop Two! I especially enjoyed how you wrote so a beginner could easily understand it--which I'm sure many will appreciate when picking the game up in Oct.

May I add a couple of suggestions and corrections? The Intermediate section, second video, may have been incorrectly linked unless that's what you were showing (I thought you were illustrating instant overheads). Under the Advanced section, the second video is linked incorrectly as it's same video before it.

As for the instant overhead tricks, diagonal jump A into V-Slasher is much easier IMO. If you want to stick with the vertical jump D (can't be a hop), then here are some other shortcuts quote from myself from DC:

I read some shortcuts for her V.Jump D into V-Slasher:
(Apparently, all qcf~hcb motions can be performed like qcf~qcf~b)
- qcf x2~up+D --> (buffers the V-Slasher) b+P
I dunno which one works (maybe they all do so I'll post this)
- qcf~up+D --> qcb+P EDIT: This one seems work better than the first.
- qcf~down~up+D --> qcb+P

A very slight variation to what you suggestion is qcf (no button), up+D, hcb+P which is the one I actually use but I do this in a blockstring: d.B (blocked), [During the d.B] I buffer "qcf", up+D, hcb+P.