SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest
King of Fighters XIII at EVO 2012!

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Jan 04, 2012 05:07

http://shoryuken.com/2012/01/03/introdu ... nt-season/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The fighting game boom is in full swing, and amazingly 2012 is shaping up to be biggest and best year yet. So big that we’re expanding both the Evo game roster and the Road to Evo tournament season! Without further ado, here’s a glimpse of what’s in store for Evo 2012.
Evo 2012 Game Roster

Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Version 2012
Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
Soul Calibur 5
King of Fighters 13
Mortal Kombat 9

This is maybe the most exciting roster we’ve ever had. It’s got tried and true tournament games with balance refreshes, two series reboots that both show great potential, and a great variety of play styles from old school 2D to the zaniness of Marvel to an updated take on classic 3D fighting. It’s amazing to see so many great games hit the market at one time and we can’t wait to see who comes out on top in each of these games.

Road to Evo 2012

It’s our privilege to be able to work with so many of the grassroots tournament organizers worldwide to help seed players for Evo. In 2012 we’re making three big changes to the tournament season.

More tournaments, which means more chances to earn seeding points
All games are seeded, not just SFIV and UMvC3
Simplified point structure

The first two points are self-explanatory. Here’s the new system for how points are awarded. At each tournament:

50, 25, 10 points are awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place respectively
1 lousy point is awarded for 4th – 16th place

We’ve made these changes to reflect the reality that a double elimination bracket is really only accurate for the top few places (just the top 2 if you want to be scientific about it, but with good seeds you can have high confidence on third place as well). Remember, there are lots of pools for each game at Evo; the bigger games have hundreds of pools. So the most important factor is to earn that first point that puts you in the group of players who are seeded.

Here are the events for 2012. A big thanks to all the organizers of these events for participating in the Road to Evo this year.

Apex Tournament Series, New Brunswick, New Jersey Jan 6-8
Winter Brawl, Philadelphia, PA Feb 18-19
OzHadou Nationals X, Sydney, Australia Feb 17-19
Final Round, Atlanta, GA March 2-4
South East Asia Major, Bugis Arcade, Singapore Mar 17-18
NorCal Regionals 10, March 24-25
Texas Showdown, Houston, Texas April 6-8
PowerUp 2012, Cincinnati, Ohio April 13-15
Team Mad Catz Championships, San Diego, CA April 13-15
Toryuken, Toronto Ontario, Canada May 4th-6th
Season’s Beatings: Summer Slam, Columbus, OH May 5th
Northwest Majors, Seattle, WA May 26th
Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament 8, Chicago, IL May 25.27
Montreal Annual Tournament, Montreal, Canada June 3-4
East Coast Throwdown, Morristown, NJ June 9-10
CEO 2012, Orlando, FL June 15-17
Midwest Championships 2012, Nashville, TN June 22-24

That’s all for now. We’ve got lots more in store for Evo 2012, which we will be revealing in the months to come. Happy 2012 everyone!
'nuff said.

BP
hunted by pedo police
A.K.A.:Leader of the Yoruzuya Dan
Currently Playing:Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, KoF XIII

Re: King of Fighters XIII at EVO 2012!

Post by BP » Wed Jan 04, 2012 05:19

SNK going with Atlus as it's publisher (and marketer) of KoF 13 in the US is probably their best business decision they've made in a loooong while. If it wasn't for Atlus doing it's darnedest to promote and sponsor the game in tournaments (alongside the fact that the game is a breath of fresh air compared to the competition), it wouldn't have had a chance. But here we are.

Really excited to see how this goes.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 08:37

Can't wait!

Hope we get some competition from Asia coming to play KOF 13. The whole KOF = Mexican fighter thing has kinda become a running joke in the mainstream FGC, so I want to see the likes of Oogosho, Poongko, Vash/Bash, Xiaohai, Dakou, etc. prove them wrong.

ZeroSoulreaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Hedgez
Currently Playing:KOF. MBACC,SC
PSN:Hedgez00

Post by ZeroSoulreaver » Wed Jan 04, 2012 15:06

The Mexican joke is ancient and has to end, honestly their are good KOF players in many other places. I get sick of hearing Mexicans and Japanese own everyone in games, that's just silly fanboy speak. Their is nothing to prove, people are just ignorant and believe everything has to be Japan or Mexico vs America which is b/s.

I look forward to seeing Mr KOF again hopefully and maybe some new faces this time around.

I'm glad MK is at EVO again, people bitch and moan about the game yet they still watch it. I don't get what's to hate about the game. I used to play it often before KOFXIII came out.

SC5 will be interesting, expect 100 Violas and Ezios though...sigh.

Sogetsu
Charging...80%
Charging...80%
A.K.A.:Anime Fan

Post by Sogetsu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 04:57

I think the Mexican and Japan thing is true... not like there can'be people from other places who play even better, but they are really really good

Loona
Charging...50%
Charging...50%
A.K.A.:Geese did it his way
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, Dissidia, FFXI, SRW W
PSN:IkariLoona

Post by Loona » Thu Jan 05, 2012 19:22

This is great news, but at the same time I'm worried - the event's pretty close to the 4th of July, which ups the travel costs all around, and a big part of the KoF fanbase is not even in that country and so may be reluctant to travel, especially with all the talk of financial crisis. I wonder if there's a way to know how many people are committed to going to that particular tournament so the more distant and less tournament-victorious of us can check if/when the number breaks 300 so we can enjoy seeing the series stick around as an EVO staple instead of offering ourselves and our money as sacrificial lambs to ensure the number is reached.

Last year's ON campaign to sponsor sending a player there for the KoF XIII side tournament was a nice one, I wonder if we'll see more like that and from more places.