KOF XIII General Discussion/Rant Thread

ASH ASH ASH BORKEN
Gaseous Snake
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Re: KOF XIII General Discussion/Rant Thread

Post by Gaseous Snake » Thu Jul 22, 2010 18:57

Saw this this week. Is it me or do all the characters look kinda washed out, almost like viewing them through a sepia lens.

Raiden's alternate costume that covers his whole body (face and all) is awesome. Looks like Venom!

Max
More power! ...18%
More power! ...18%

Post by Max » Thu Jul 22, 2010 19:43

While watching that Boss Run video (I'm in love with Saiki's music), I noticed something…

Is there any difference between Saiki's normal grab and his DM one? I know it's not his counter DM, since on his first video you can see him whiffing his throw, and sometimes it costed him stock and other times didn't, and without a DM/EX flash on top of it. Damage and animation seemed to be the same, so…

On another note… Why is it that in some videos, the timer appears to have "regular" seconds while in others the timer is much slower (almost 2 seconds between "counts")? Is it also an internal feature?

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Jul 23, 2010 00:02

DarkDreamT2 wrote:If I may, I say someone should make a separate thread posting the current worldwide Arcade locations of KOF XIII.
I did!

http://orochinagi.com/forums/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SilentNinja
I'm not a bot! :3
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Currently Playing:Kingdom Heroes Online, HOTK(Red Cliff), SF4, Tekken 6, DOA, KOF98 UT, FFS, Koei games
XBL:SilentNinja23

Post by SilentNinja » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:20

I like what I'm seeing. Though, endings don't reveal that much. Is there a special ending or just Ash's ending?

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Sun Jul 25, 2010 21:37

So far, Iori/Ash/Kyo team doesn't get a special ending.

However, whatever they didn't finish for the arcade, could be finished for the console....

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Sun Jul 25, 2010 22:01

Gunsmith wrote:So far, Iori/Ash/Kyo team doesn't get a special ending.
...then what is this?

SilentNinja
Currently Playing:Kingdom Heroes Online, HOTK(Red Cliff), SF4, Tekken 6, DOA, KOF98 UT, FFS, Koei games

Post by SilentNinja » Sun Jul 25, 2010 23:08

2 minutes of Ash's background and an appearance of Oswald. What we know about Ash,
Elizabeth's team ending took the intiative of her resonance for Crimson's demise.
But, what REALLY happened after the tournament? That's the ending I wanted (Kyo, Iori, Chizuru KOF 2003 ending) Hero and Rival team collabrate the events in KOF XI. Oh well, 85 percent of the other endings could careless what happened to Ash. BTW, Ash team edit with anyone is the SAME ending

And Iori getting his purple flames back seems anti climatic(it will still curse his life span)

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 00:36

That Ash Iori and Kyo ending is regular the edit ending.
SilentNinja wrote: But, what REALLY happened after the tournament? That's the ending I wanted (Kyo, Iori, Chizuru KOF 2003 ending) Hero and Rival team collabrate the events in KOF XI. Oh well, 85 percent of the other endings could careless what happened to Ash. BTW, Ash team edit with anyone is the SAME ending
Most details are complicated so the post is kinda long.

.... Well, t looks like the edit ending is the more official ending of them all (then again most ending don't contradict each other except on the part of "who won"). That would mean Ash wins over Saiki and as such gets himself wiped out of existence.

About "what happened", we have to check that there it was "two" sides of the tournament. One was what the propaganda told you that was going to happen (a competition among teams to search for the strongest team and whatnot). The other side is the secret conspiracy from "Those from the Past" group, a business that most of the cast didn't even knew was going on.

In the End Ash changes history by "eating" Saiki's soul, with that the past was changed because Saiki wasn't supposed to die at that point, and as such some events of the story where rewritten (This is what the staff roll shows you, as first they go through what Ash did in these whole games, and then they show you those events without him on it). In the end, the story rewrite was as such that all of the deal with "Those from the past" was erased, and as such the "propaganda" side of the "just a regular fighting tournament without anything weird happening" became the reality. As usual with time paradox gimmicks, you can't tell what was exactly changed and what didn't (for example, with Ash being not even born; then it's likely that Kagura and Yagami didn't even lost their powers at any point. That would hint that Mature & Vice gave Yagami the chance to overwrite history outside the normal time continuum in his ending, and he didn't took it).

It is hinted that Betty was the only one that was "outside" the effect of the time alteration, this probably has to do with the fact that she seems to be part of it. Probably Rose will never even realize that she was being controlled in the first place (probably it's cannon that Betty took place in the Saiki / Dark Ash fights, and could perfectly witness what happened afterwards).

So basically.... the dull explanation.

Ash offs Saiki after the kof champion team distracted / weakened him.
Ash goes crazy.
Ash stops himself before the shit hits the fan.
Ash disappears from history.
No one even remembers Ash but Liz.
What exactly happened in kof 2k3 and kof XI after the story change it's "exactly" unknown. It's probably the same minus Ash interventions on those tournaments. That would mean that in 2k3 who ever won couldn't stop nor scratch Mukai, in XI Shion would betray and Kill Magaki and due to the paradox, in XIII Saiki just disappears. I liked the fact that since story was rewritten, it gives the feeling that those from the past literally where killed without the intervention of anyone else

Oh, what happened with those from the past it's unknown. Mukai was killed by Saiki and Botan seemingly died when Saiki fused with Ash. Magaki was theoretically ressurected (he is on the stadium when everyone arrives) but what becomes of him is unknown... Fat chance that the whole group was done in by Ash while Saiki was fighting (they where supposed to held the gates open, but after the Saiki fight the gates close, meaning that they weren't where they where supposed to), if that's true then Shion is the only one that ended up alive and is no longer aligned with "Those from the past" (in the demos is hinted that they couldn't find him).

Knowing how Diabolo's stance works really helps understanding the storyline ^^

For the record, what seems to happen in the bad ending :

Ash either steals the energy gathered to open the gates or is just contemplating on how the winning team didn't produce enough energy, thus Saiki's plan is completely ruined.
Saiki's uses his own energy to open the gates to travel back into the beginning of the tournament, and warns the rest of the "those from the past" group that this is a one time deal that won't happen a second time so better not slip up again.
Last edited by Toxic Avanger on Mon Jul 26, 2010 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Mon Jul 26, 2010 01:44

Thanks for the write up. Makes half sense to me. Then again, i wasnt really into the kof storylines.

SilentNinja

Post by SilentNinja » Mon Jul 26, 2010 02:56

then again most ending don't contradict each other except on the part of "who won"). That would mean Ash wins over Saiki and as such gets himself wiped out of existence.
Just what KOF needs, another interruption before the finals volia KOF 97.

About "what happened", we have to check that there it was "two" sides of the tournament. One was what the propaganda told you that was going to happen (a competition among teams to search for the strongest team and whatnot). The other side is the secret conspiracy from "Those from the Past" group, a business that most of the cast didn't even knew was going on.
They have to make the AOF/FF team semi canon....*Facepalm* because that's where the meaning of the fight is at in the tournament. Time after time, we know big crap is gonna happen when the Big Bad reveals himself, half the cast wouldn't give a fly. Yeah, it's the law of KOF storyline.

Can't wait for the HK comic relevance.

Yuki Yagami
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:a "trader" and a "messenger"
Currently Playing:...with someone's mind...

Post by Yuki Yagami » Mon Jul 26, 2010 07:41

Regarding to Special Ash Ending...

I read Toxic's comment @ MMCafe about the vid that it's not necessary to bet the game with Ash, Kyo, Iori.

I had a hypothesis that you must beat Dark Ash with Ash himself to obtain that special Ash Ending.

If not, I just hope there is a way to obtain that special ending @ the KOF XIII Master Guide.

Anti-K'
Neomaxxing
Currently Playing:JoJo All Star Battle, Vampire Savior
PSN:Anti-KDash

Post by Anti-K' » Tue Jul 27, 2010 04:09

A.I. was pretty much empty today, so I had the game to myself for quite a while.

Beat the game 3 times. Got the regular(no boss battle) ending twice, true ending once.

Elisabeth takes almost no skill to use. Her juggle combo is waaay too easy :P

Also:
Greatest quote ever.

Bugle/Hawk'M
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:When life gives you lemons, make Kaiser Waves
Currently Playing:some games
XBL:BugleHawkeM
PSN:BugleHawkeM

Post by Bugle/Hawk'M » Tue Jul 27, 2010 06:29

Okay, I have to know who says such a thing. Also, it is nice to know that SNK's localizations are still of their superb classic quality.

Anti-K'
Neomaxxing
Currently Playing:JoJo All Star Battle, Vampire Savior
PSN:Anti-KDash

Post by Anti-K' » Tue Jul 27, 2010 07:22

Bugle/Hawk'M wrote:Okay, I have to know who says such a thing. Also, it is nice to know that SNK's localizations are still of their superb classic quality.
Kula. It's so strange and random. She's usually asking everyone for ice cream, so this kind of came out of nowhere.

She also mentions autographing Candy's head when you fight Raiden, but this quote is so much better.

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 13:51

KOF XIII: Of exploding goldfishes and nekkid bosses!