KOF XIII: Kyo Kusanagi

ASH ASH ASH BORKEN
Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.
KOF XIII: Kyo Kusanagi

Post by Iie-Kyo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 04:57

IT'S KYOOOOOOOOOOOO.

*Copy pasta '95 Kyo movelist here*
Command moves:

Goufu You: fwd + .B

Naraku Otoshi: dwn + .C in air

88 Shiki: df + .D

Specials:

Yami Barai: QCF + .P

Oniyaki: DP + .P

Kototsuki: HCB + .K

Oboro Guruma: RDP + .K

75 Shiki Kai: QCF +. K (notice you only need to do hit kick once - the second hit is automatically executed no matter what)

DMs:

Orochinagi: QCB, HCF + .P (CAN BE DONE IN MIDAIR LOL)

NM:

QCF x2 .A .C
Console Changes
- (shown in video) 88 Shiki (df+D) moves forward more. As a result, stand C, df+D, QCF+K now does the full four hits.
- Kototsuki You (HCB+K) has more lag on block
- (shown in video) B version of 75 Shiki Kai (QCF+K) can now be followed up with other attacks. On the ground you can only follow up with an uppercut, but on a mid-air hit you can do more interesting things.
- (shown in video) Added an EX version for his mid-air Orochinagi. It does 3 hits and 300 damage. Unlike the ground version it has no invincibility but is very fast, so you can use it in combos or in air-to-air battles.
- far D has less lag.

Yamamoto: The air Orochinagi which he learned in KOF Sky Stage (laughs) and now the EX version on top of that has made him a master of the move. It’s now possible to do high damage combos off of a hit confirm with his df.HK>fb+HK {df.D > qcf+D}combo. Please try him out now that he has so many more attack options.
Movelist VId Special Move and Cancel Tutorial Other Notes
So now that Kyo suddenly fucking forgot how to do his Firepunch moves after almost 15 years, let's see how he plays. I haven't been looking at much gameplay footage of him, but from what I've seen he seems a little bit more pre-XII-fuckup-like, with his df + D being comboable, 75 Shiki Kai floating the opponent higher, and the general fixing up of the overall core game system.

Anyway, it's time to GET HYPE!

Notes:
TBC: Kyo's Orochinagi becomes faster (and more comboable) if you hold down the P for a tiny bit longer.

GAMEPLAY
Kyo can be played as a shoto character, but is much more effective as a rushdown attacker. Because he's lacking his RED kick, Kyo can't back off and then pretend he's jumping in with it, so he has to wait and DP instead.

BASIC
Jump in with dwn .C to crush anti airs (unless they are invincible) then when they are scared and start blocking, mix up with empty hop into crouching B combos and then when you think they are going to block this, use a hop/jump .B to hit them at the last second and then combo as you wish.

Simple combos: (air attack optional)
  • c .B, c. A, df D
    c .B, c .A, df D (1hit) hcb .B
    .C, qcf .D, hcb D
ADVANCED
At this point you need to learn the distance required to attack with a crossup dwn .C. A good set up is to throw, then run till you're about one character's width away then hop.
Stun Combo thx Tamayak
Easier Stun Combo by CSKOF
Dannyboy's Kyo Combo tutorial
Last edited by Iie-Kyo on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:26, edited 2 times in total.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Re: KOF XIII: Kyo

Post by SonicTempest » Tue Apr 06, 2010 07:10

Don't forget AIR OROCHINAGI lol.

First off here's his featured hyperdrive combo from the official site:

C, df+D (1hit) HD mode activate, run forward C, df+D (1hit) HCB+K, dp+C, QCF+D, rdp+B, HCB +K, dp+C, rdp+B, dp+C xx Orochinagi.

Also, he can apparently drive cancel his rdp+D into aerial Orochinagi. Not too surprising I guess.

The Master
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:For Great JUSTICE!
Currently Playing:KOF 13, Tekken 6
XBL:Vlad Draulea
PSN:NYCYakuzaKyo

Post by The Master » Tue Apr 06, 2010 13:59

I'm guessing here.. but.. Oboro Guruma seems like it would be a good buffer into mid-air orochinagi. We'll see how it pans out.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Fri May 14, 2010 20:34

Quick tidbits from today's blog entry:
- Naraku Otoshi lets you cross up (as one would expect)
- You can do mid-air ON immediately after Shiki Kai, but you need to be fast. Also you can followup afterwards with an Oniyaki.
- EX version of Kototsuki You is a command grab!

And yet another Hyperdrive combo (in HD this time):

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 17:05

Not surprisingly Kyo looks like his EX 98 version.

Far C is kara-cancellable! His df+D is also kara-cancellable on the first hit (wtf). Yay for fireball mind games.

A few XII things can apply here, except for his bullshit low B x N -> standing B -> whatever, which is doable but much harder.

One thing is that after moves like his rdp+K, qcf+K and hcb+K, they don't have a huge lag afterwards. Yes, it's punishable, but you can sorta do stuff on block after that to trade hits. It was like that in XII. So basically, on block after Kyo's close C->qcf+K, you can pretty much just do a dp+P afterwards. And people will eat it (if they don't plan to block further). Same goes for his hcb+K. It doesn't really have much lag in there - it's still dangerous but somehow you can throw a dp+P in there on block and the opponent will eat it (except when they decide to block some more, obviously). Partially it's due to Kyo's invincibility on his dp, which wasn't as ridiculous as XII's, but still a very good clutch move on many occasions (wake-up, blocked move, etc).

I've seen some guys connect his qcf+K into his rdp+D afterwards outside the corner, but for the life of me I can't connect it even though I thought I got the timing. Anyway, rdp+D into air Orochinagi is very cool, but even though I saw some vids where the Kyo followed up with *something*, I can't catch up to the opponent since Kyo flew himself too far away. I'll fool around more. Just to be safe, outside the corner after a qcf+K I'd just do hcb+K afterwards. Much safer with insured damage.

Fireball is still good for pressuring, but not the most vital part of his game. EX fireball travels very fast, but I guess you'd only do that if the other side decides to throw a fireball out, which is unlikely.

On EX moves I recommend his hcb+BD. People aren't expecting Kyo to have a grab, but he has one now, so you can be like a Clark and empty jump in into hcb+BD. And people will fall for that. Adds a really nice dimension to his hop pressure game (imagine doing jump B/jump d+C a few times and then an empty jump into hcb+BD...delicious!)

I have done a few crossup jump d+Cs in the beta but sadly this time around I can't jump for crossovers. I think it's partly the jump mechanic (where I can't seem to jump as high) and partly me still trying to adjust on the spacing for crossup. It IS there, and it works like the old jump d+Cs, with additional longer hitstun on ground opponents. I'd be playing around with this more.

Also had a few times where I intend to do his qcf+D but his df+D came out. It's probably just me being lazy in motions. I for the life of me never got to cancel his df+D properly (even in 2k2UM) so I'm not an expert on this at any sense. But it's a vital part of connecting more hits from his weak attack. Note that the second hit on df+D may whiff at times on block, if pushed farther away.

Neomax is awesome, if you didn't see that tougeki seiyuu video thingy, his Neomax's initial flame beats all sorts of projectiles and as long as it hits, the rest of the move will follow. I did it as an anti-air once too. So it definitely has its uses.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 17:43

The thing about QCF+K is that while it might be relatively low lag on finish, you can interrupt it between the first and second kicks (see the K' technical reference video for an example of this). Probably just the D version though.

Glimmerous.Fop
I'm not a bot! :3
I'm not a bot! :3
A.K.A.:People die if they are killed.
PSN:GlimmerousFop

Post by Glimmerous.Fop » Sat Jul 17, 2010 02:52

Some combos that I came up with:

(Jump .C / .D ), .C , df .D (1-hit), qcf .D , qcf .P / HCB .K / QCBHCF .P .
The df .D is very dependent on Kyo's distance from the opponent. Sometimes it will miss if Kyo is too far. In that case, skip the df .D and just go straight into qcf .D .

Corner combos:
(Jump .C / .D ), .C , df .D (1-hit), qcf .D , RDP .B , DP .C.
Again, you can skip the df .D if Kyo's distance is too far.

Super Cancel combo:
(1 Drive Stock, 2 Super Bar)
(Jump .C / .D ), .C , df .D (1-hit), qcf .D , RDP .B , RDP .B .D (2-hit) , SC air QCBHCF .P .

Crouching combos:
dwn .B dwn .A , qcf .B.
dwn .A df .D (1-hit), qcf .D, qcf .P / HCB .K / QCBHCF .P.

It seems like Kyo's df .D can no longer link from his dwn .B or stand .B . I could be wrong about this though.. could someone confirm this?

You can link into df .D fron dwn .A . This is quite dependent on Kyo's distance: too far and the df .D will miss.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Tue Jul 20, 2010 15:37

Based on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCrd4b52Ko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kyo can do dB, sC as a link again.

fiol
Mode Change!
Mode Change!
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by fiol » Tue Jul 20, 2010 15:41

from srk (Token686)

PenPen
MOAR
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders

Post by PenPen » Sat Jul 24, 2010 17:29

One combo of note:

Turns out Kyo can supercancel his rdp+B into air Orochinagi. So perhaps this would be a pretty good HD combo to use?

Close C -> qcf+D -> rdp+B -> (SC) qcb,hcf+P -> hcb+K once on ground

Not sure about the damage of this as opposed to rdp+D into air Orochinagi after qcf+D, but I think this does more, and is seemingly easier to connect.

Additionally I find qcf+B on block to be dangerous.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Sun Jul 25, 2010 01:13

Can you delay the second kick on qcf+B/D or it an automatic double kick kick XII?

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Sun Jul 25, 2010 05:33

Dark_Chaotix wrote:Can you delay the second kick on qcf+B/D or it an automatic double kick kick XII?
Nah, it's automatic.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Sun Aug 01, 2010 22:06

Kyo HD combo from Arcadia:

C, df+D (HD activate) dash C, dp+C (1hit) dc QCF+D, HCB+D (1hit) dc rdp+B, dp+A (1hit) dc rdp+B (whiffs), dp+A (1hit) dc rdp+B, dp+C (1hit) dc rdp+B, dp+A (1hit) dc QCF+D, midair QCF,HCB+P, land, QCF,HCB+AC

776 damage, 3 stocks.

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:52

Other combos from Arcadia:
dwn .B x1/2, stand .B , HCB B/D or DP .C (1st hit), Drive Cancel qcf .D , RDP .B , EX RDP .B .D or EX Orochinagi . If in corner, after RDP .B can do DP .C to preserve stock.
Close .C , qcf .D , HCB .D or [ RDP .B , EX RDP .B .D or EX Orochinagi] or [ RDP .B , Drive Cancel Air Orochinagi, HCB .D (Corner only followup)].

Other notes from me:
EX HCB .B .D has surprisingly long range, try it! Also has invulnerability on start up, so great move for reversing/countering wake up ground attacks.

dwn .B , [ dwn .A , df .D (1st hit)] or stand .B , HCB .B / .D is great,as Pen mentioned it's pretty lag free.
Close .C , qcf .D, RDP .B , Drive Cancel Air Orochinagi, HCB .D does very good damage for a 1 stock, 1 drive cancel combo.

Crossing up with air dwn .C much easier than in most other KOFs.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Sat Sep 04, 2010 01:43

wow