Charging...15%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Currently Playing:badly
XBL:resurgentcaesar
PSN:resurgentcaeser
Re: KOF XII Official Rant Thread

Post by resurgentcaesar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 07:28

raiden seems to have a new glitch...

http://kotaku.com/5325170/king-of-fight ... -buggy-too" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Jul 29, 2009 08:28

Played online. Lag is terrible. Beat some scrub's first two characters with Kyo and then he managed to kill all three of my characters with LOL LAG TIGER KICK

As for the rest of the game, my opinion (which you all are surely familiar with by now) hasn't really changed much.

Branger
More power! ...18%
More power! ...18%
Currently Playing:Too much, or not enough?
XBL:BurningRanger23
PSN:BurningRanger23

Post by Branger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 21:30

Received my copy for the X360 today. Was hoping to be blown away, since there are no arcades around here, let alone those that could get the game.

Anyway, my impressions:

The game looks good and plays well enough. I wonder if SNK was going for an SF IV vibe by making everything simple. I was surprised a lot of my favorite characters seemed to lose moves I had gotten used to (Joe's QCB+K, Ralf's BF+P). Seems odd since some other characters retained somewhat complex gameplay (Kyo). It doesn't quite feel like the KOF I know and love, but at the same time it does. Sort of like how SF IV both does and doesn't feel like classic SF.

Haven't come across any glitches, yet. Not going to play online.

Presentation is good, but overall, the game is incomplete. No boss? No story? Even KOF94 had a boss, as did the dream matches. I would have even taken evil or EX versions of characters (like in GGXX) as bosses.

Overall, I'm not sure if I should have paid the $57 for this game.

Wolfie
Almost there! ...99%
Almost there! ...99%
A.K.A.:I am single & available
Currently Playing:Meself
PSN:yummymochi

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 00:50

SNKP just drop teh stink bomb, again.

Check the Ignition forum, there r plenty of angry customers atm. And also plenty XII off loaded on ebay.

Tiamat
Powering up...24%
Powering up...24%

Post by Tiamat » Fri Jul 31, 2009 08:41

I like the game a lot but I'm aware I'm a minority on that. x_x

mr crimson
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by mr crimson » Mon Aug 03, 2009 09:35

Sadly enough, I diagree with the hate on the game, which it's getting a ton of (go to Gamefaqs and it's a whining frenzy!)

Personally, I have no issues with it, since I've been playing it non-stop since I got it with my fiancée, and several friends on a daily basis. The combo capabilities are huge, the two extra characters were an incredibly nice addition, and characters like Ash Crimson, and Sie Kensou feel so incredibly fluid and easy to play with once you figure them out.

I must admit, compared to something like BlazBlue, 22 is incredible for a roster, but being a King of Fighters fan, I was expecting a few more. Still, I'm completely thrilled with what I got.

I don't play online, I have plenty of friends that love playing the game around me, and my personal favourite, Ash, has SO much improvement, such a great addition of moves, and an incredibly fun fighting style. :) I'm very happy with it!

I also like the new system - the mechanics feels a lot easier and newcomer friendly, while still retaining an intensely complex level for the higher level fighters - I love the new critical combo system - you can pull off some incredible stuff if you know what you're doing.

Mostly, the one thing I was worried about most, Iori, came out wonderful though. I've never been a Iori player, but he's very intuitive now - great outfit, great move-set, and this game's a fantastic step for the next gen King of Fighters for me.

The issues people are having with the title cannot be denied to a large extent (except for the sprites - I think they're magnificent and simply stunning!), but they just don't happen to pertain to me. :P I know I've invested about 4 hours every day of playing the game so far, so they certainly did things right in my book.

Crazy Bee
Charging...15%
Charging...15%
A.K.A.:the soul still burns
Currently Playing:Your Mom
XBL:XxCrazy BeexX
PSN:twozeezeegeeteee

Post by Crazy Bee » Mon Aug 10, 2009 16:02

Game needs a serious overhaul for the overhaul they previously gave it.

BP
hunted by pedo police
A.K.A.:Leader of the Yoruzuya Dan
Currently Playing:Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, KoF XIII

Post by BP » Wed Aug 12, 2009 07:07

Well turns out that the game is region free; so I copped the US copy of the game yesterday.

I pretty much enjoy the gameplay (even the CC stuff) and the new sprites are really well animated. Of course there is this issue of missing moves for a few characters (moreso with Clark and Mature) but I can deal with it. Should be trying out a bit more of the cast the next few days.

The online however, as mentioned earlier, is so far one of the worst experiences I've had with a fighting game online. Not just because I'm far off from the rest of the world - MvC2 is faring great with me. But even from the character select screen, you'd feel like you're playing underwater. Input lag is even worse than KoF'98 UM, too - I at least could do a qcf,hcb motion consistently in the latter. I'll give it a couple of more tries and wait for the next patch, whenever it may be.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Aug 12, 2009 17:45

region free? Do you mean PS3 or 360? I thought all PS3 consoles were region free (for games not movies)?

BP
hunted by pedo police
A.K.A.:Leader of the Yoruzuya Dan
Currently Playing:Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, KoF XIII

Post by BP » Wed Aug 12, 2009 22:33

Gunsmith wrote:region free? Do you mean PS3 or 360? I thought all PS3 consoles were region free (for games not movies)?
The 360 version. 360 games are mostly region locked, except for a few. KoFXII turns out to be one of the exceptions.

Gojira
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:Twit
Currently Playing:Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, WWE 2k16
XBL:Gojiraaa
PSN:Gojira_X

Post by Gojira » Sun Aug 16, 2009 00:15

I rented it yesterday. Ready to return it today. My personal aesthetic just doesn't recognize this game as fun or complete.

In terms of gameplay, it's slow and floaty and laggy. That's the nicest way I can put it. Jumps feel like they don't travel at all. Movesets feel far too basic. Attack priorities are inconsistent. Even character types don't feel very well-defined. Liz is a better grappler than Clark for some reason. Critical counter is way too gimmicky and clash doesn't happen enough to really explore it. To be honest I'd rather have moves just trade or compete for priority than clash. I like the changes to CD at least, with guard breaks having some use and counters being changed from reactive to anticipatory, but that alone isn't enough to make things feel right.

The graphics are pretty nasty-looking for me. Nona's design is hit-or-miss and his deformations make some of the characters look like something out of a Tim Burton animation. Kyo, Ryo and the Ikaris got the worst of it. Athena's head looks like a balloon. The animation of characters is inconsistent. They look okay when they're doing their own moves and idle motions but they look stiff and choppy when they're being hit. The backgrounds look good at first, but after 1.4 seconds you've pretty much seen everything they have to offer and there are no alternations from time of day or other BG elements.

The music is weird. Aside from the remixes it doesn't sound like SNK music. The character select BGM is heavily reminiscient of VF. That's not a terrible thing, but I can't bring myself to like it much.

I don't really care about the issue of fewer characters or fewer modes. I can see now that those complaints are trivial matters. With the state this game is in, a few more characters and modes are not going to help it. Right now, they just need to focus on improving what's already done.

Frederick
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Frederick » Sun Aug 23, 2009 09:11

I sold the game recently after getting all the trophies. I couldn't wait for online play to improve. I knew I was getting a dream match but I didn't expect for the single player stuff to be even less than 98 or 2k2.

A lame gallery collection. It's really bad when the gallery is just concept art for the stages and the character pictures are just one profile pic from the website. What happen to all the concept art or funny stuff........ rank down!

A tough boss waiting at the end would have been welcome addition. However if there was a boss then he/she would most likely be selectable and then online matches might be broken because of it. Seth and Nu sort of rigged their matchups if an experienced player did pick them. We can't have everybody using say Omega Rugal online. So the boss thing is 50/50.

Most of the stages are eyesores except the stadium. A boring generic arcade ending without anything different at awaits you at the end. At least 98 and 2k2 had something different at the end waiting for you. It was like a step back to neowave where you just beat up on geese.......points deducted

some pre fight character specific text or taunts could have been done in single player mode. I would even accept the blazblue box of text.
However, Snk did put in different win quotes which were an okay touch. So it's not all bad in this dept. 50/50 also

some people wanted a survival mode. I don't care for survival as all it does is force you into a grinding against all the cpu characters with their predetermined patterns. Most ppl will just find a glitch or pattern that can be abused to go through it anyway. Gief lariat spam weeeeeeee you want to test your skills? play human opponents online but oh too bad the online play isn't up to par even after a freaking month of release. Thumb down

Most of the cast being strucked with technique amnesia. we want more options in offense and defense. Clark only knows how to SABB people wow! Iori must have really beat the crap out of mature to the point where she only remembers 2 specials and 1 dm. Anyway, it's not cool to have less moves or DMs for most of the cast. No more SDMS, LDMs, or HSDM. Oh noes!

On the other hand less moves means the characters are simplified so newcomers only need a small amount of memorization and some combo practice before hopping into a local match or online. Veterans already know the moves. Fun casual play can exist since the game is easy to pick up. People who have been playing the series for a long time will feel right at home also. Critical combos are relatively easy to do if you can set it up and you don't have to input motions as quick as 2k2. CCs don't really break the game but there is a problem with characters who have faster and higher priority CC starters. Experienced players will turtle most of the time to avoid them but you have a guessing game going once you have CC bar. The basic special and DM combos aren't difficult to do. Stringing CD attacks in the corner into a more damaging combos tell ppl to stay out of the corner. The fighting engine is pretty good and I like it more than blazblue. For most ppl, you can't get button mashy or spam the same crap over and over.

I hate how regular throws are stopped so easily by pokes. Well it is realistic that if you reach out to grab someone and he/she punches you you would be knocked back and your attempt to throw them would fail. No more wtf moments of clark SABBing or super grabbing you out of a poke, move, or super like in the older kofs. A turtling poking kim can literally just sit there waiting for the next move because there is no penalty for jus sitting there timing your down As with kim. if you jump hienzan, if you roll throw. if you follow this simple strategy you can rack up a crapload of wins. you'll also pissed off a lot of ppl too. it becomes worse when it's an underwater match where you can clearly see everything that is being done. this is a just one example of how turtling can't really be punished and can be abused but turtling has always plagued most fighters. Throws b debatable.

if you are playing on an hdtv change the filter in options to 3 to make the sprites look better. The soundtrack sucks but at least you have the option of running your own mp3 playlist (talking about the ps3 version). English voices are horrible like SF4's.

really just wait for a price drop, get it used, or just rent the game. it's a you'll love or hate game.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Sun Aug 23, 2009 13:23

Thanks for the review - ouch.

Turtling is in everygame... but the gameplay is good, probably the only thing good about XII...

But I'm not selling my copy! Come online!!

Frederick
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Frederick » Mon Aug 24, 2009 04:08

I had more fun with the game than blazblue. I don't know whether I rank it higher than SF4 because I had fun with both in local matches.

Ye I know turtling is in every game. it's just made more apparent in an underwater match or by the random douche you can encounter online. I literally fell asleep during a turtle match. An action packed match will always keep me awake and get the blood pumping.

here's a trf tournament match for sf4. behold the mighty samurai staredown between the players!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw8SUlK_5OM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Indeed the gameplay is good and the redrawn sprites are beautiful. You can really see the effort the artists put in it. It's fast paced like the old kofs. Unfortunately, even if I found ya online Gun, I think it would have lagged bad if I played ya Gun. I had freaking lag for california, mexico, japan, taiwan. basically everywhere that wasn't within my area..........

lol real or fake?

http://www.sagamansensei.es/KOFXII_K_MAI.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

from the facebook kof 12.

Say does anyone know if there is a site or wiki with all the win quotes between the characters?

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:23

Damn, I have to say that's so good I'm not even sure it's a fake.
However, It could be photoshopped then simply plug your pc into the monitor. No ingame sprites, no deal. I'll call fake.

Fred, you should have waited for the patch!!! End of August.... and if that don't work, then I'm doomed to play underwater kof for life.

Wait to hear if the patch is good then get another XII from ebay lol

At the moment there are like 16 rooms online for KOF XII: most are japanese, 1 is French, 1 Hong Kong, 1 Bahamas, 1 Canada, 1 USA. I am literally the only Brit hosting a room.

Some people really don't understand the red bar connection thing. It's very annoying. Three guys on headsets screaming "GET OUT GET OUT" and still the red bar guy will sit there, lagging up everyone. THEN when we finally let him fight, he realises we're playing in mud and disconnects. IDIOT argh