One stock!
One stock!
A.K.A.:Testaminty Fresh
Currently Playing:Chrono Trigger.... AGAIN
PSN:edgey_berzerker
Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Edgey » Fri Aug 06, 2010 17:26

this is a repost from my facebook mini review:

After many months of deep thought, I have come to the conclusion...

I HATE Final Fantasy XIII

Seriously... I tried to like you. I did enjoy your plot but when the game play was literally hitting auto battle all the time, maybe switching the paradime system here and there... it feels so unfinished.

"Oh but Edgey!" you say, "it gets better after 15-20 hours of play!"

That's the point! The game shouldn't have to get better after 15 FREAKEIN' HOURS!!! It should be good from the start! That doesn't point this into the games favor at all! It's hard to stay focused on a strong plot when you have to STRUGGLE to get through a game filled with EMPTY CORRIDORS!!

It should have been called Empty Corridor 13. Good god.

Would Final Fantasy XIII Versus be any good? Will it be Final Fantasy XIII: The good edition? I don't know at all. I've really lost my faith in Squaresoft lately. It's all about "OOOU PRETTY GRAPHICS SHINEY OBJECTS!!! IGNORE LACKLUSTER GAMEPLAY INBETWEEN OUR MOVIE!" then "Let's make a solid RPG."

The kicker is this took 4 Years to make. FOUR YEARS! I think it was sort of like Avatar in that sense, spend a lot of time on the pretty visuals. Then use the last 10 dollars on the plot. Or in Final Fantasy XIII's case, the gameplay.

The heart of the game.

Because it woudn't be a GAME without GAMEplay.

As for you Final Fantasy XIII, I will be giving you to EB and add you to my store credit so I can use that on something else. Something that wouldn't cause my urge to poke my eye out with a pen just to add a little colour to the boredom I feel when playing it.

Grr-bah.

Did anyone else just give up after hours and hours of nothing? Did someone enjoy it? What are your thoughts on this game?

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Aug 11, 2010 17:50

We did discuss this... but I can't find where- I think it was in the ps3 topic in "all other games" forum.

Basically, the majority agreed that it was pants. I have given up on it.

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Post by Foxhole » Thu Aug 12, 2010 02:41

I was looking forward to it, but I never played it because of the dubbing. Quite honestly, in this day and age, I'm fine with Final Fantasy Corridor. All that free roaming shit eats me.

Kyo-wa
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:FUS RO DAH!!!1111111 Stop telling me about taking an arrow in your knee
Currently Playing:Elder Scroll V: Skyrim

Post by Kyo-wa » Thu Aug 12, 2010 09:22

Guh... I hate it.
It looks so pretty, I admit that.
Gameplay wise, heck, I spend more time with Fable II on my Xbox360 than FF13... 'coz Fable 2 is really fun and I get to fight enemies however the way I want.
Final Fantasy 13? Auto Battle turns me off so much - do Square Enix think I am an idiot?

... <_<; I think I am going to exchange it for a store credit.
Adios, Final Fantasy 13.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Thu Aug 12, 2010 13:42

The HK version does have jp language with English subs if that's your only problem....

Foxhole
DESU!

Post by Foxhole » Thu Aug 12, 2010 15:47

I read that it doesn't. The HK version is in English.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Thu Aug 12, 2010 18:59

I have a Canadian friend who says otherwise, and he bought it. Oh and he told me that it even works with the NA/PAL gamesave. So you can sell it to me after you've finished with it.

And because I have nothing better to do:
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/final-fan ... subtitles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apathy Wind
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:PS3 Crap Shoot
Currently Playing:no whammies, no whammies...

Post by Apathy Wind » Thu Aug 12, 2010 19:08

So all this autobattle stuff - are we talking the same gambit based system found in FFXII? Or is something altogether different? If it's the later please to be giving a brief description of said system.

+1 thanks to you

Shiny
Posts too much
A.K.A.:Wreck-It Richard.
Currently Playing:Baseball. With your skull.
XBL:Callsign Rain
PSN:Anariaca3279

Post by Shiny » Thu Aug 12, 2010 21:48

I haven't dedicated enough time to Final Fantasy the 13th; I was about 10 hrs in before I started playing other stuff. I'm not disappointed, but not wowed either. I've logged in more time with UC2 multiplayer. :/\

Didn't play FFXII, so I kinnae answer your question, AW.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Aug 13, 2010 01:52

XII's system was weird, but fun, I enjoyed it and had some crazy battles.

XIII is similar, and not really something to complain about. It has the FFX grid for levelling up, more or less.

The complaint is the linear path, segregated into practically one way corridors, sandwiched with movie segments. A slight exaggeration but you cannot explore anything. You are not free to move from the section you are in, to visit a section you were at before, until the END of the game.

My local used game store has stacks of it on the shelf and will probably refuse to take any more (they did the same with LP2).
The whole internet screams DON'T PLAY THIS GAME.

When I think about it, I don't think the dubbing will make any difference to me. The only reason I haven't traded it in is because it feels like I shouldn't, and I bought the goddam guide book to go with it!

I had been waiting for the first FF on the PS3 for years. YEARS. All of my friends and I were so hyped about it. I was like "when this game comes out, goodbye life for a few months! I'm locking myself in and turning the phone off!"

We were all so bitterly disappointed. 13 is definitely Squeenix's unlucky number.... tch, screw more moaning, I'm going to play something! Probably Star Ocean 2 PSP/ P3 Portable!

Foxhole
DESU!

Post by Foxhole » Fri Aug 13, 2010 01:54

Gunsmith wrote:I have a Canadian friend who says otherwise, and he bought it. Oh and he told me that it even works with the NA/PAL gamesave. So you can sell it to me after you've finished with it.

And because I have nothing better to do:
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/final-fan ... subtitles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link doesn't work.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Fri Aug 20, 2010 01:25

Square lost its touch after X-2 i think. The battle system in XII was crap and the gameplay in XIII is even worse. My cousin auto leveled his team on XII and left his ps2 on for 12 hours, while it did it. That pretty much made me to never touch the game...I remember when they were releasing XII that they wanted to get away from the point and click option like the old turn based games, but having a gambit system and only controlling one character (in away) at a time sucks.

Maybe if they do this remake of ff7 id play it again...

Apathy Wind
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:PS3 Crap Shoot
Currently Playing:no whammies, no whammies...

Post by Apathy Wind » Fri Aug 20, 2010 02:10

I disagree about FFXII's system being a failure. I mean the gambit system was too limited in my personal opinion (should have allowed for multiple conditions - i.e. if X and Y then Z) and the game should have been on the PS3 (graphic intesive spells just chugged) but the game system was fun and, for once, challenging. Even just controlling one character alot of the optional battles required 100% more attention and planning then any FF game to date.

If FFXIII refined XII's system I'd be interested. But even so I'm not liking the 'no exploration til the end' thing. Maybe I'll wait for a drop to $30 or so and try it out then

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Aug 20, 2010 03:23

Instead of buying FFXIII I'm watching this.

Random banter of British people > some JRPG whose tutorial is 30 hours long

Gojira
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:Twit
Currently Playing:Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, WWE 2k16
XBL:Gojiraaa
PSN:Gojira_X

Post by Gojira » Sat Mar 12, 2011 09:06

Wow, so this is where the review forum went. Not that I was looking for it, but I missed my chance to rant about this game again. Since FFXIII-2 was recently announced, I suppose bashing it one more time won't be totally out of fashion. So...

Yes, it sucks.

Let me count the ways:

1) No towns + non-interactive NPCs is an absolute fail. I don't count randomly listening in on someone's conversation with somebody else an NPC. I WANT TO INTERACT WITH PEOPLE IN MY RPGS. Not a fucking crystal, not a... floating... shop robot thingy, not an automatic cutscene. I want to walk up to someone, press a button, and have them address me/my character directly. And I want to do that in a town with personality that makes me feel welcome, no matter what the townspeople say to me. If your NPCs aren't giving at least that much payoff, you're forgetting the R in RPG.

2) Bad buildup for a battle system. Note that I'm not necessarily saying the battle system is bad, but they made a major misstep in introducing it to the player. Most RPG battle systems are like trees. Even though the trunk is in place, the branches (techniques, spells, powerful attacks, etc) unlock bit-by-bit. That's why building it up works. But the problem with FFXIII's battle system is that when it starts, it's not a tree at all. It's a floor. It has NOTHING. You slowly unlock the trees for the first 20 hours. And once you got everything unlocked? Not many branches. They're there, but you spend more time managing your job than you do managing your actions so the branches have minimal appeal. The roles are a nice idea when it's finally realized, but the buildup was totally pointless and made it look retarded for a very long time.

3) Goals! Goals! Where the hell are my goals?! Jesus Christ guys, can't you give me anything to do other than "go on" and "beat this monster?" At least the NPC thing would have opened up some avenues for design. Barely any sidequests hurts. No grinding for currency also hurts. Limited exploration REALLY hurts. And then they go and add those crystal quests about 30 hours in? Sorry guys, not good enough. In the end those were just more "beat this monster" goals like you had all along. The only faint spark in a world without fire was the little robot part mini-quest near the last area. It was as easy as a quest that would have appeared in the first hour of a normal RPG, but it was so much more satisfying than anything else. It had story, it added to the characters, it was a thing you could interact with. And yet, it was clearly an afterthought.

4) Speaking of exploration, yeah. I don't need to talk about this much, because anyone who's played the game for a short period and gotten disgusted with it knows what a crock it is. But what really gets my goat is how unnecessarily large it gets in the latter "OMG THIS IS WHERE IT GETS BETTER" stage. Great, a wide-open space. With long stretches of nothing. Thanks. Remember 2D games, when you could cross an entire map in 20-30 seconds? Remember when it was much easier to find stuff? While playing these games, did any of you EVER say "gee this game would be much more fun if it took me longer to cross these maps and these items were much harder to see?" I didn't. That doesn't mean you can't make it work, but this game really went overkill in terms of space-to-content ratio.

5) Hope. Hope is annoying. Does Hope get less annoying later? Sure. Will you care by then? Not really.

It'll be hard mustering up the strength to care about another Square-Enix FF after this (and considering FFXIV was their fastest failure yet), but because of the little robot quest I have the faintest hope that FFXIII-2 will right the wrongdoings of this game. Maybe.