Anime Games Films Etc
hebretto
Neomaxxing
A.K.A.:Free HUGS!!!
Currently Playing:2D fighting games
XBL:hebretto
Re: Arcade Stick Review

Post by hebretto » Tue Feb 10, 2009 03:57

The Madcatz won't be available in Japan AFAIK because Hori is releasing a HRAP for the PS3 and a EX2 for the 360

My SF4 TE stick for the 360 arrived ... but they short changed me ... I ordered three and only got two (but still charged for three) ... but it's a really nice stick. The turbo features doesn't seem to work on the PC though.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Tue Feb 10, 2009 17:24

double checked, I'm corrected, different sticks. But there is a sfiv stick by hori

http://hori.jp/items/detail.php?id=755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the madcatz line up

http://www.gamecyte.com/street-fighter- ... rders-open" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Mon Feb 16, 2009 16:29

As I'm sure a lot of you are getting hyped on the idea of crushing a thousand noobs at SFIV some tips for PS3 owners

You can use any controller that fits into the ps3 via usb. But you can't use them for any PS2 games as the PS home button needs to be pressed to activate the controller.

According to one post. The sega virtua stick for PC works on PS3.

The whole modding thing recap.

Most of the hori sticks do not use sanwa parts. However, most of the sticks have 30mm buttons, which are the same size as sanwa buttons. So you can buy a hori stick and replace all the buttons. I would do this when they wear out, not before. The stick itself is a bit more tricky, but if you open up your stick and see that your connector on the stick a 5 pin plug, it's probably good to be replaced by a sanwa stick.

I think only arcade competitors really need to worry about this as sanwa is the standard in tournaments, so if you're using a sanwa stick then you're using arcade. If you're only going to be online, don't worry about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Descrip of Sanwa parts:
http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/produ ... kgreen.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
inside the hori HRAP 3
http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-st ... -3-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've had my virtua stick for maybe 5 years now and two buttons are only now starting to get faulty so replacing them will probably not be an issue for most of you. I would still recommend not buying a cheap stick and getting a good name like Hori or Sega, and... not from HK on Ebay. There are loads of clones which have crappy components. I have a virtua stick clone from a friend who visited vietnam, and the stick is horrible. Looked inside and I can't even replace the buttons or stick, it's soldered straight onto to a circuit board!

If you're wondering about the mayflash, it sounds okay, but most recommend it just for modding!

Note that modding a cheap stick is the same thing as buying the more expensive stick!

There are loads of reviews of sticks on the net and youtube... although mostly by ppl who have no real clue what the fighting gamer actually wants to hear about: responsiveness, execution capability and component quality. Sheesh.

Hori fighting stick review (the cheapest hori stick out there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDS_eCZ44Gc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you listen to the stick you'll notice that IT DOES NOT MAKE CLICKING SOUNDS. This makes me think it's not using microswitches, which means it'll wear out really quick. The guy reviewing it doesn't realise this at all even though he notes srk.com and other sites telling you it's crap.

This is a microswitch for your button, which you'll get in any decent stick - hear the click! Easily replaced.

Analogue buttons are situated directly on a circuit board, look below and you'll see small round things on the board where you would have the XYAB buttons- these send the input of a button press when the buttons comes down and makes the connection- these break and wear down every time you hammer on them. Obviously you can't replace them.

Bottom line: if you're in this for the long term, get a stick above $70. You won't regret it. If you just want a few shoryukens and your biggest combo will be 3 hits, get whatever.
Last edited by Gunsmith on Tue Feb 17, 2009 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added the word "only" and put a line break

hebretto
Neomaxxing

Post by hebretto » Tue Feb 17, 2009 04:25

Post too long (though appreciate Gun) I think we should just all play on keyboard the microswitches are never wornout! hahahaha

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Feb 18, 2009 00:19

I bought a nuby sf anniversary pad (chun li) just for playing SF at college, as lugging my joystick around is too much hassle.

Looking for a pic I stumbled across this review which highlights the same concerns as I do: it's a good pad, but some things are best left for a stick.

http://www.shoryuken.com/features/r09232005.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
review by James Chen.

If only all reviews were like this!

The pad is good for casual SFII in all its forms and a bit of 3s and kof 98. But for more complex fighters, get a stick.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Mar 04, 2009 19:02

did you buy the cheaper SF stick? Oh oh...

http://www.vg247.com/2009/02/20/mad-cat ... iv-sticks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Sat Mar 07, 2009 03:57

Fun fact - the Madcatz PS3 sticks don't work for PS2 games. At least, not until Sony releases a firmware update that lets them work (apparently this was a problem with Hori sticks in the past).

Good thing I have another stick I can use for my PS2 fighters.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Tue Apr 21, 2009 16:53

nice ranking chart

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-st ... k-ranking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hmmm "arcade parts straight out of SF4 cabinets" hmmmmm I wonder how true this is...

http://www.gadget-asia.com/en/home/fron ... nAodTR-zQA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hebretto
Neomaxxing

Post by hebretto » Wed Apr 22, 2009 04:28

It's a hump of shit hahahaha the casing the same as the SC2/T4 sticks for the PS2 and the buttons are not sanwa or semi-watever-su. I have one and it works I have no qualms with it but that being said none of my sticks have ever broken so I could just be very lucky or that I treat my sticks with great care *caresses stick ... yes ... precious .....

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Apr 22, 2009 05:12

I've been having trouble getting my PS3 Madcatz TE stick to work on my PC even though PC support was advertised as a selling point. Then I found this thread:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=175047" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems that if you have a motherboard with an nForce or ATI chipset, you might need to use a PCI USB expansion card to get the stick to work on your PC...apparently the nVidia USB controller has some issues powering the stick.

This particular one has been confirmed to work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815106007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hebretto
Neomaxxing

Post by hebretto » Thu Apr 23, 2009 05:29

How to find motherboard to be that chipset? I r comp illiterate nom nom

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Jul 15, 2009 19:48

If you didn't like the SF4 artwork on the Madcatz sticks, you can get them without it starting Q4 2009:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dd- ... -3hcy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm quite happy with my Madcatz TE stick for SF4 and Blazblue, so if a HRAP isn't an option for whatever reason, this stick should be pretty good.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Sun Oct 04, 2009 22:18

Saw this in Japan in a few random stores and now it's on ebay for cheap. Perhaps good for modding?

There's even a kof version!

neopenny
I'm not a bot! :3
I'm not a bot! :3
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by neopenny » Mon Nov 21, 2011 00:20

i've been collecting Sticks for a while, due to my job situation i dont have them with me (i probably see them once a year). But for now i have the Mad Catz Marvel vs Capcom 3 Stick.

The reason I bought the PS3 version of this stick is because i have used the VSHG from Sega before with no problems on my old mac. I thought i would have no problems with this one on my new PC, but i ran into the same problem as Sonic Tempest (BTW the solution is buying USB PCI card or a USB 3.0 HUB, im on a laptop so ill try the latter later on). My roommate has PS3 so i've used it a couple of times on the PS3.

This stick is pretty good for in my personal opinion is behind the VSHG and the HORI V3 SA, i have a lot of sticks and i can honestly say that those 2 sticks are my favourites.

Changing the subject a little bit there has a been a huge increase in multiplatform sticks from companies (at least that offer Sanwa, Semitsu, Fanta, or IL)
Qanba
eightarc
etokki
razer
FutureSky

Qanba and Futuresky and Chinese based. Eightarc is the US distributor for Qanba sticks under a different name. Razer is only a 360 stick maker. and etokki is the only one from this brief list that offers crown/fanta parts.

I will review more sticks Early next year with a few friends so that's a work in project.

On an update note, i never got my stick to work on my pc laptop, but its working flawlessly on my mac, i feel a little lag, but i've been able to do some complicated combos in 99. So, ill do further research with other games to see if theres any lag or not.

I forgot Also, the HRAP series, people say that the HRAP 1 from PS2 and the HRAP 2 are the exact same thing. I can assure you guys, no its not. One stick is far more sensitive than the other, and i fully modded them with sanwa parts.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Mon Nov 21, 2011 06:31

I look forward to these reviews on the different sticks. You take requests at all?