Arcade Stick Review

Anime Games Films Etc
PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35
Arcade Stick Review

Post by PenPen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 19:27

Stuff all the arcade stick notes you have in here.

I have one stick atm, it's called the Elecom JC-AS01BK (that's just the model name).

Link: http://www2.elecom.co.jp/peripheral/gam ... /index.asp

It's quite heavy, and it was intended for the PS3, but it can also be used for the PC. There's 8 face buttons, and 4 buttons on top (start, select, 'auto', clear). As an added bonus, Elecom is nice enough to throw in the stick's PC driver plus a macro program which lets you perform stuff easier. IIRC it can store up to 10 macros. The macros allow two different types of inputs, a 60 frame one where you enter one command at a time, and one by real-time where it will record whatever you entered (in real-time of course).

It's a nice stick, but it doesn't seem to work well on GGPO, I dunno why. It worked well with my NeoRage X though.

Currently it's only in Japan, and stock was kinda limited before I got it (I bought it in September) so I'm not sure of the availability now. It's definitely a nice stick to have, especially if you have a PS3 and a PC (and no, I don't have a PS3).

The SRP is 5040 yen which is about $45 USD. It's reasonable but then if you consider that the stick isn't sold outside Japan, you will need to factor in the shipping charges.
[hr]
I looked up on Play-Asia and somehow this stick is being sold, made by Mayflash.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-4 ... -2byy.html

This seems like the Elecom stick but without the brand. But there's no news on how good this stick is, just that it's really cheap. I looked up on another site and the cord's plug looks different. So maybe they're copying...not sure about that.
[hr]
Another quick note is the Hori Fighting Stick 3 does not work with the PC. So if you want a cheaper alternative for a nice PC stick, cross this out of your list.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Feb 08, 2008 19:44

damn we had a stick thread in the old forums didn't we...

Well I've got loads, tried loads, and a little concerned that HK copies anything and everything so I'm wary of buying a cheap stick from there

On the other hand, if you have the tendency to whack your buttons, it's just a matter of time before your button starts to malfunction and I doubt you have spare microswitches lying around (actually you might if you fancy ripping up an old stick)

I have the Sega Virtua Stick for PS2 green ball it rocks, had to pick it as it has the arcade ball, otherwise I would have got the Neogeo stick for ps2 with 8 button layout :salivates: and in a way there's no need for arcade because the likelihood of that ever happening is now pretty much zero.

BUT one button has now gone dodgy, same happened to my Dreamcast stick. No more rolls with that config! Have to use three top row and one bottom right instead of four in a row. Pah.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Feb 08, 2008 19:56

I have the Tekken 5 special edition Hori PS2 stick (I got the bundle secondhand pretty much just for the stick, so the copy of Tekken 5 that came with it is collecting dust). It's pretty good - the lever is the same as the Real Arcade Pro (i.e. Sanwa) but the buttons are regular Hori buttons. Works decently for KOFXI/NGBC/GGXXAC/VF4E.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Re: Arcade Stick Review

Post by Slapper Joe » Sat Feb 09, 2008 05:32

PenPen wrote: I looked up on Play-Asia and somehow this stick is being sold, made by Mayflash.
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-4 ... -2byy.html

This seems like the Elecom stick but without the brand. But there's no news on how good this stick is, just that it's really cheap. I looked up on another site and the cord's plug looks different. So maybe they're copying...not sure about that.
Cheap plug - RE: Mayflash: http://www.ozhadou.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2976

Since then I've thrown a white ball top on there. Works good enough with a total part overhaul, but I still prefer the weight behind my other stick. ..
Cheap Plug 2: http://www.ozhadou.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1750

I really need to get around to taking some proper pics of it but there are some tacky ones on page 2 of that thread. It has a suitcase handle and a pop-off bottom for quick access and repairs, but the best bit is it's way to big for other people to use (it has even had Justin Wong verbally abusing it).

Never got around to finishing off that EB stick II, current project is a Namco Exceleena Blue cabinet.

Fuu
hunted by pedo police
Currently Playing:by ear
PSN:OswaldK9o

Post by Fuu » Tue Feb 26, 2008 16:50

So it's about time i get a stick, because ggpo broke my pad that was decent for fighters, and my other pad quite suck for them.
i want it for pc obviously, but ideally in the future i'll be playing some of the new fighters online(hopefully), probably on PS3, and it would be nice to have it compatible with PS2 too, albeit that's not a top priority.
Is there a good stick with this kind of compatibility or something close enough?

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Tue Feb 26, 2008 20:14

spend money, get good stick

don't spend money, get stick that breaks very soon... especially if you like to whack the buttons to ensure LAG understands you pressed CD MOFO, I PRESSED C+D!!!!

Fuu
hunted by pedo police

Post by Fuu » Tue Mar 04, 2008 00:27

ah sure, money shouldn't be a big problem i think, suggest me some good models plz!

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Thu Mar 06, 2008 14:45

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1i- ... 0-gyn.html

get whichever version for whichever console then get a convertor to pc

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-4 ... -1799.html (mind you you may have problems playing anything past kof xi because of button layout)

everything else sucks balls

read the reviews on play-asia, pretty useful as many posts are by fighting game enthusiasts

GRRRR

http://kingoffighters.planets.gamespy.c ... .php?t=358

Fuu
hunted by pedo police

Post by Fuu » Fri Mar 07, 2008 09:10

lol thanks Gun, but damn those sticks seem to be sold out on the whole planet! I'll keep an eye for them.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat May 03, 2008 18:11

Just got the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 for PS3. Works perfectly on GGPO and just needs to be plugged in to play on XP and Vista. I've heard conflicting reports as to whether it also works for the PS2, but haven't tested it yet.

Fuu
hunted by pedo police

Post by Fuu » Sun May 04, 2008 12:07

yeah, i was going to order that from play-asia, then one day i found a Hori Fighting Stick 3 here in my city, 15€ cheaper than any price i could find in my country!
So i was like, this must be destiny!
Only that, see, it doesn't work on pc.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Sun May 04, 2008 14:06

did you try adapters? which one did you use? I noticed that my ps2 generic clone from HK virtua stick doesn't work with my older ps1 adapter or my ps2 adapter!

2) how are the combos? can you do 2k2 cancel combos? Moves come out smoothly? Is there a gap between the stick and the microswitch contact? ie do you have to press hard when all you want to do is hop with a light flick? That's the test for a well made stick, it should be TIGHT and responsive liek virgin anus!

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Sun May 04, 2008 20:00

The HRAP3 and HFS3 connect over USB so no adapter should be needed.

In any case according to this thread:
http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?t=136

the HFS3 does not work on PCs, but the HRAP3 does, pretty much as AE and Fuu have mentioned here.

Fuu
hunted by pedo police

Post by Fuu » Mon May 05, 2008 08:29

To be fair Pen told me the HFS3 wouldn't work, but i read on srk that it worked for a few people. I gambled because the price was good, but anyway i'll be getting a PS3 eventually, so it's not that bad. I still need to get a stick for pc though, i'll prolly order the Mayflash stick Pen is talking about in the 1st post, i know it's not going to be that great but eh i haven't touched a stick in years anyway, and i don't feel like spending money on the HRAP3 now.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:15

guys btw

anyone who has a ps2 -> pc convertor can use it to plug ps2 controllers into their ps3

there is also a virtua stick for ps3

but I want that HRAP3 8 button layout.... real bad