2k2 - Ryo Sakazaki

Guides / FAQs / Tutorials with Videos per character for Tougeki Arcade/ 360, Ps2 and Neogeo
Archedgar
Mode Change!
Mode Change!
A.K.A.:Turned ON
2k2 - Ryo Sakazaki

Post by Archedgar » Thu Sep 01, 2005 06:48

Old Ryo info

Ryo Sakazaki , son of Takuma and apparently dating King according to the storyline.

As much as I like calling K9999's general gameplay an advancing defense, its definitely no match for Ryo's.

Ryo has been described by many as 2002's 'tank' character(Maxima as runner up) due to his generally poor mobility, no 'good' cross up moves, command throws or projectiles, but high priority special moves and the ever popular 'Ryo parry'.

As far as I know, his basic combos can vary from:

-Close C, Forward A
-Close C, QCF + P
-Stand A, crouch A, crouch B, Stand B, QCB + K

etc...

However, his poke combo is surprising, I believe he is the only character in 2002 who can link a heavy(non command move) attack after a light poke(discounting cross ups) giving him his:

-Crouch B, Crouch C, QCF + P

:o

His ranbu DM(rush) , at proper distance will go through fireballs and is quick to come out.... although, obviously his Haoshokouken(projectile) will also pierce projectiles and hurt the 'user' :x

His forward A overhead has good priority and comes out at fairly decent speed, if you have quick hands you can link it into a fairly short, but effective BC combo, I don't have very quick hands so I've only done:

-Forward A , MAX mode activation, Far C, QCB + K

Which isn't that bad to land some good damage from an overhead.

His QCF + P will nullify non DM projectiles(except maybe Leona's) and has high priority, it can stop early jumps, while his DP + P, has various frames of invincibility, not to mention his parry into F,B,F + P will also stop 'late' jump ins.

Despite having a good defense and a rather diverse moveset, Ryo seems to have trouble fighting characters such as Billy Kane, and to a lesser extent, Leona.

Anyway, Ryo's gameplay is fairly rigid , it doesn't involve jumping around like a madman or relying on 'the combo' to win the match(barring his HSDM at times), a sleek and smooth advancing defense is more his style.

If I had to put a specific tier to Ryo, I'd say, upper middle tier, just *BARELY* outside of the higher tier area, this due to his 'insane' defensive game, high priority special moves and great poke combo. He lacks a more 'profound' offensive game, but it would be insane if he had greater offense with his already strong(est) defense.

And so forth...

7d3j
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by 7d3j » Thu Sep 01, 2005 08:57

I've always liked Ryo, his gloves make him look so cool...

ANY tips on HOW to do his SDM? :D It's been a popular question that no one can answer that surely yet I think.

QCF + C~A my butt... :mad: This shoud count against him from being an upper tier character, surely?

Inconsistent SDM!! :P

KoFFreaK
Charging...99%
Charging...99%

Post by KoFFreaK » Thu Sep 01, 2005 09:31

7d3j wrote:I've always liked Ryo, his gloves make him look so cool...

ANY tips on HOW to do his SDM? :D It's been a popular question that no one can answer that surely yet I think.

QCF + C~A my butt... :mad: This shoud count against him from being an upper tier character, surely?

Inconsistent SDM!! :P
Actaully I have done it :grin: , after a million tries though, and only about 3 times it has come out, meh who cares. The feeling you get when you do Ryo's SDM: priceless 8)

7d3j
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by 7d3j » Thu Sep 01, 2005 14:45

Hey, hey, I've done it too okay? :D

But yeah, universal agreement on Ryo's SDM... It's rare. VERY rare.

And his HSDM seems kinda... weak.

See? He's no Iori. :P

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 14:55

Just a couple of things I want to add:

- Ryo's dp + A = god. Well, almost. Pretty much beats anything you can throw at it. Beware of it being baited though.
- stand CD - one of the, if not the most quick CD attacks in the game. You can use this for pressuring quite nicely.
Archedgar wrote: However, his poke combo is surprising, I believe he is the only character in 2002 who can link a heavy(non command move) attack after a light poke(discounting cross ups) giving him his:
Actually, Kyo can do dB, stand C as a link in 2002, so it's not just Ryo who has this ability.

Vice Vecta
Almost there! ...74%
Almost there! ...74%

Post by Vice Vecta » Thu Sep 01, 2005 17:17

7d3j wrote:And his HSDM seems kinda... weak.
Weak? Tenchi Haoken weak!? HELL NO! Maybe weak in substantial damage, but it's sure your opponent will be dizzy and ready to make him eat dirt in no time. his HSDM implies many of the most useful combos ever made:

(4 or 5 bars in stock) jumping D, standing C, f + A, BC, Tenchi Haoken (qcf qcf + AC)... *dizzy* jump D (try to cross land), standing C, kouho (dp + A), cancel with ryuko rambu (qcf, hcb + a). AUCH!! :-P

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Re: 2k2 - Ryo Sakazaki

Post by Empyrian » Fri Sep 02, 2005 04:25

Archedgar wrote:
However, his poke combo is surprising, I believe he is the only character in 2002 who can link a heavy(non command move) attack after a light poke(discounting cross ups) giving him his:

-Crouch B, Crouch C, QCF + P
:o
Oh great one. Apart from Ryo, Kyo can do that. Iori is able to do a stand B, stand C too.

For Ryo, it is a good idea to use a LOT of far B and down B. While doing that, turn the motion for the uppercut. Opponent does something = Press A.

Archedgar
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Re: 2k2 - Ryo Sakazaki

Post by Archedgar » Sun Sep 04, 2005 05:38

Empyrian wrote:Kyo can do that. Iori is able to do a stand B, stand C too.
Kyo users in general are few and far between, I had seen some people whiff Kyo's crouch B into Stand C and fail... but I wouldn't rule it out. I suppose my statement was off.

As for Iori, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you can only do that after a successful scum gale command throw or an aerial cross up, not as a stand alone hit like Ryo can do.

By the way, if you're going to try and provoke conflict, might want to go to another section of the forums, some people actually want to read 'strategies' - 'combos' - 'facts' , they don't want to see you attempt to 'poke' me into an argument and fail miserably.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sun Sep 04, 2005 06:06

Kyo's down B to Stand C *works*, so does Iori's stand b to stand C(without a scum gale).

And I really can't be bothered with you. I have NGBC to entertain myself.