2k2 - Billy Kane

Guides / FAQs / Tutorials with Videos per character for Tougeki Arcade/ 360, Ps2 and Neogeo
Archedgar
Mode Change!
Mode Change!
A.K.A.:Turned ON
2k2 - Billy Kane

Post by Archedgar » Tue Jul 26, 2005 06:10

Before I start, the mods have yet to step in and answer , will the forum format be team based threads or single, so I will go ahead and type this in despite the fact that it may be deleted at a later date in case they go for team format.

Old Billy Kane team thread

William "Billy" Kane, arguably the third strongest character in KoF 2002, number 1 body guard of Geese Howard and brother to 'Lilly Kane'.

Billy Kane is credited , to have the most solid ground game in 2002, this is the reason why he is 'arguably' the third strongest character, despite how many people might say: "But Archedgar, how? Billy Kane has no command throws or decent high-low games like Vannessa, Kim, he doesn't even have a (real) projectile! He doesn't even have lengthy combos like Kula and Kyo or even relatively damaging short combos at all like Chang and Maxima, WTF!?!! "

Note: The earlier statement(s) do not include his corner combo.

Anyway, while these claims may be true, Billy Kane still has the most solid ground game, this is partly due to him having the undisputed BEST long distance poke in the game , his crouch A has a huge hitbox and quick recovery to boot. The priority for a crouch A move is hideously low when compared to others such as: K9999, Vice, Yashiro, Maxima, etc. , this adds greatly to his general ground 'offensive' and even defensive game.

Further fueling this fire that is Billy Kane on ground, he has once again 'arguably' the best command move in the game in his Forward-A, this builds up power meter quickly, produces guard crush faster than nearly any other move in the game and is extremely safe on block, not to mention knock's out jump attempts at the proper distance.

All of this is lovely, however, even MORE power to his ground game are his anti air and anti ground counters, they are both fairly decent, not as good as ... Blue Mary's counters, but they are fairly good. The fact that his ground counter can stop 'CD' guard cancel attacks makes Billy Kane difficult to shake off once he corners someone, while the air ... well... obviously counters air attacks(... duh).

FURTHER adding to this, his crouch C has great priority and a large hitbox, this attack, IMO, is overpowered, serving as anti air and also 'defeating' almost all ground attacks in the game when they clash. This attack can be canceled into his forward-A and can also be canceled into his ground counter.

All of these things add to why Billy Kane has the best ground game available.

*Worthy mentions are his mock projectile and his anti air version of it, which are... balanced(unlike the other attacks mentioned), abusing either of them will lead to being heavily punished.

Despite Billy Kane being the third strongest character, as a general rule, he usually has problems against projectile characters, this is due to the fact that he is forced to go on the offensive. His air attacks are not as 'bad' as other characters like Kula(A,C, CD) but he lacks a strong jump in move and he has no real outstanding aerial prowess, aside from his straight jump A as anti air.

Kensou, Athena, Yuri, Mai all give Billy Kane a vast amount of problems, this is because said characters ALL have a more 'solid' air game than Billy Kane and they all have a good long distance game.

I'd say, again, as a general rule, characters without projectiles, usually have trouble against Billy Kane, characters such as Vice, K9999. There are exceptions to this of course, but they are few, and its still a troublesome match for the opposition.

Just as additional info, Billy Kane's jump D can cross up, which can lead into: Jump D, Crouch Bx3-4, DP + B, Jump C, for lovely damage.

Anyway, discuss Billy Kane , how to kill him, how to kill with him, and general tactics.

Well, since I started the thread, I will kick things off.

I have had some problems using his 'Crouch C' into his ground counter to counter 'CD' guard cancel attacks.

For some reason it seems to fail sometimes, I am not certain if this depends on character, distance, or just luck. For example, I can get this to work every time against Iori, Chris, Yamazaki, but it has failed for me against Benimaru and Athena.

Anyone know how or why this happens?

Also something I can't really seem to understand, Billy Kane's Jump CD is supposedly his highest priority air attack, however, when matched against Chris's jump CD, it loses.

Of course this is not news, Chris's jump CD is extremely strong, however, the situation is like this, Billy Kane's jump C will trade hits or 'win' against Chris's jump CD most of the time(*Note: this is without having Billy Kane's jump C hit before Chris's jump CD, the attacks actuall clash and Billy Kane's 'can' win).

This strikes me as odd, because the hitbox range for both attacks is roughly the same(in air to air distance), and as I understand it, CD attacks are meant to be the highest priority attacks in the game.

Hmm, it is quite perplexing, and I have no idea why this is, similarly...

Billy Kane's jump CD will beat Iori's crouch D, but his jump C will lose to it.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 28, 2005 03:32

U mention this all right.

"Well, since I started the thread, I will kick things off.

I have had some problems using his 'Crouch C' into his ground counter to counter 'CD' guard cancel attacks.

For some reason it seems to fail sometimes, I am not certain if this depends on character, distance, or just luck. For example, I can get this to work every time against Iori, Chris, Yamazaki, but it has failed for me against Benimaru and Athena.

Anyone know how or why this happens? "

The reason why you can't manage to guard counter Benimaru and Athena's is because their CD counter hits high. So,instead try out the B version . It works find for me all the time ^_^ Do try it yourself and tell me what you think.... :wink:

ken_garou
Charging...15%
Charging...15%

Post by ken_garou » Thu Jul 28, 2005 03:35

The Guest user above is actually me, ken_garou. I can't log into my old account for some reason,so I actually re-registerd myself again into this brandnew forum.

Anyhow,here are some counter tips against Chris's jump CD.

In attempting to defeat Chris Jump CD, do not forward jump CD ,or vertically jump CD, instead do hyper jump back CD or C. But you need to anticipate his jump and do this in advance or else you WiLL lose. Billy's areial defense is the strongest when he's hyper jumping back for some odd reason although I think it is kinda cheap.But who cares? You gotta make full use of it in order to win such high prority attacks such as Chris.

Other options of anti air is his "air counter " move (qcb B),u need to anticipate that as well. But his best move is his Dwn C,try it ,it works like wonders,but do time it well though. Vertical jump A must be heavily abuse too . Be unpredictable in all these anti airs, and fighting a jumpy Chris will be second nature to you 8)

One word of caution,don't ever try fwd A against his jump CD,it will eat you out most of the time depending on how he jumps towards you.

Against Iori's Dwn D , use jump low CD , B or D and combo him. Never do jump C or A against a grounded Iori.Other than countering your A and C buttons with a down D, good Iori players will even grab him(his scum gale) from mid air if you do that. It will result in a huge punishment, I am warning you cuz I have been an avid user of Billy since 2k2 has been released several years ago.

Another usefulness of Billy I have recently discoverd some time ago.You may knew it or not but anyway here's the scenario. When opponent jumps towards your Billy , respond by doing a dwn C (a counter hit message appears in your screen) and follow it up by either doing a qcb A or fwd A. You will get a cool 2 hit combo,but personally qcb A is so much stylish. Try it out in versus,you will be amaze on how useful this is

Try this combo on Yama(it works ONLY on him though for no apparent reason,so don't ask me why)

Conditions: In corner and at least a power stock.

Do down B(up to 4 or 5 hits depending on distance) , DP B (not D as it is slow), and finish the combo with the firewheel DM(qcf,hcb A)

It may seems kinda old skool,it is so simple,yet it works.Please try it!

Please reply to this post and tell me what you think and whether if all of the info above works well for you. I will be waiting.... :3

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 31, 2005 06:01

Wow, I was shocked at how well the corner crouch B into DP + B and DM worked out, it is amazing that Billy Kane can link so much damage to Yamazaki in this manner.

I couldn't get crouch C into anti air Counter to work against Benimaru or Athena, I think its just bad luck on my part based on distance for both counters.

Iori is not too much of a problem to fight, as Billy Kane, sure, things can 'hit the fan' very quickly if the enemy Iori has 3-4 stocks, but aside from that, Billy Kane has the upper hand I think.

Anyway I was wondering if someone could run some tests on a Billy Kane/Iori set up.

Iori's scum gale has near ultimate priority, it has some frames of invincibility and projectiles sometimes even fly through it(tested and proved), however some close range attacks will knock Iori out of his scum gale throw.

I don't own 2002 on PS2 or anything like that, so I am a bit limited as to the tests I myself can attempt. I believe :

K9999's crouch A will stop scumgale
Kim's close C will stop scumgale, etc.

I would like to know if any of Billy Kane's close up moves can stop him, his crouch C loses to scum gale, every time, I'm pretty sure his crouch B also loses, I haven't tried his close D or his stand A, or other similar moves... if someone would be so kind as to try it out and post results... I would be most grateful *cough*

Archedgar
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Archedgar » Sun Jul 31, 2005 06:02

The above post is mine...

ken_garou
Charging...15%
Charging...15%

Post by ken_garou » Sun Jul 31, 2005 06:53

Anonymous wrote:Wow, I was shocked at how well the corner crouch B into DP + B and DM worked out, it is amazing that Billy Kane can link so much damage to Yamazaki in this manner.

I couldn't get crouch C into anti air Counter to work against Benimaru or Athena, I think its just bad luck on my part based on distance for both counters.

Iori is not too much of a problem to fight, as Billy Kane, sure, things can 'hit the fan' very quickly if the enemy Iori has 3-4 stocks, but aside from that, Billy Kane has the upper hand I think.

Anyway I was wondering if someone could run some tests on a Billy Kane/Iori set up.

Iori's scum gale has near ultimate priority, it has some frames of invincibility and projectiles sometimes even fly through it(tested and proved), however some close range attacks will knock Iori out of his scum gale throw.

I don't own 2002 on PS2 or anything like that, so I am a bit limited as to the tests I myself can attempt. I believe :

K9999's crouch A will stop scumgale
Kim's close C will stop scumgale, etc.

I would like to know if any of Billy Kane's close up moves can stop him, his crouch C loses to scum gale, every time, I'm pretty sure his crouch B also loses, I haven't tried his close D or his stand A, or other similar moves... if someone would be so kind as to try it out and post results... I would be most grateful *cough*

I am glad you did the combo against Yama.Thumbs up for you!

About the counter part against Athena and Beni,I am SORRY to say that it is actually based on distance(U r right) ,there's is nothing to worry about if this "thingy" whiffs as it is pretty safe ,nevertheless it is well worth the risk if you manage to land it.

As for Billy countering Iori's almost invincible grab(a.k.a the scumgale),use near standing D ,it works for me most(possibly all) of the time. :D Use it when you anticipate Iori's gonna do that. Another method(sounds very weird and stupid,yet risky) of Billy is that you can just keep pressing the A button repeatedly(the spinning thingy) to prevent him from grabbing as well. I strongly emphasize that this move is an anti-scumgale,but do use it with care as you will get punish severly when it is being block. :cry: Despite all this,don't think too much of safety,just do it when you think the dreaded moment(the scum gale) is gonna be upon you. Kof is not just a skill based game,it involves taking risks as well. I hope you find this useful as much as I do.

Archedgar
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Archedgar » Thu Aug 11, 2005 08:32

I have been having a lot of trouble against Kensou, anyone have any pointers in Billy Kane vs. Kensou match up?

Kensou seems to have a very solid air game, and strong anti air attacks, I end up getting shreded attempting to catch him.