Poll: Should unlockable characters be allowed in tourneys?

Guides / FAQs / Tutorials with Videos per character for Tougeki Arcade/ 360, Ps2 and Neogeo

Should unlockable characters be usable in a tournament?

1. Hell no! What's in the game is what's intended to be, NO unlockable characters!
38%
2. All of the default rooster plus the three EX characters (EX Takuma, EX Kensou, Ex Robert)
31%
3. All characters + EX characters + Reg. Geese
23%
4. All characters + EX characters + Reg. Geese + Goenitz
No votes
5. Restrictions?!!?! Everything goes baby! Bring on the Zero infinites!
8%

Total votes: 13

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Poll: Should unlockable characters be allowed in tourneys?

Post by Kane317 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 18:21

There's been a long discussion over at SRK and Cyberfanatix.com that I need all of you to help me resolve.

It starts here: http://www.cyberfanatix.com/forums.php? ... =4216&d=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but if you don't want to read 4-5 pages then the summary is this: Dark Geese from CX and SRK (I think he has the same name here) feels that at least Reg. Geese should be allowed in a tournament that he is hosting. Since there is no arcade release there's no official rooster, therein lies the question: Should unlockable characters be allowed in tourneys?

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Re: Poll: Should unlockable characters be allowed in tourneys?

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Mar 27, 2009 21:40

From watching videos on Youtube and elsewhere I'm pretty sure the NESTS bosses and Omega Rugal are pretty broken, but how do Geese/Goenitz and the EX characters fare? From that thread it sounds like even they seem to be on a higher tier than most of the rest of the cast.

Dark Geese
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Dark Geese » Fri Mar 27, 2009 21:42

Poll ends Friday April 3rd, 2009 at 1 PM CST so I can count all the votes and add them to the other 6 forums I am gathering information from. Now keep in mind since my poll is a bit different from his in order to syncronize the results if the options are different than mine then I am going to put them as options in the "Other" section...

-DG

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 23:29

Dark Geese wrote:Poll ends Friday April 3rd, 2009 at 1 PM CST so I can count all the votes and add them to the other 6 forums I am gathering information from. Now keep in mind since my poll is a bit different from his in order to syncronize the results if the options are different than mine then I am going to put them as options in the "Other" section...
-DG
I tried editing my time, doesn't allow me. But I guess we'll just freeze frame whatever result we get. I think we need to choose either your poll or my poll coz adding my results as Other to your poll doesn't change a thing (unless I'm misunderstanding you). The problem I have with your poll is that it's misleading because if ppl really want to use EX Takuma for instance, they'll have to choose #3 (nobody in their right mind would allow O.Rugal, Ignitiz, Zeroes etc...) and deal with having a possibility of going against Geese.

My whole overall point really should be:
Should Geese be legal yes or no. That should simplify everything else since most everyone agrees that EX Chars are acceptable and all the other bosses other than Geese (Goenitz included) is unacceptable. The only one in question is Geese.

So we need to come to a conclusion. If we do, then we scrap your first poll and just make it pure and simple. Should Geese be legal yes or no, then I'll delete this and start a new one.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 02:08

I'm kinda on the fence about Regular Geese. He's a wee bit too strong for my case.

Before we address that issue, yes, EX characters should be allowed. They're essentially extra characters and are copy-paste versions of the KoF counterpart they came from. i.e. They're balanced FOR normal play (not to say they're balanced, but to say they weren't given overly stupid buffs to be "boss" characters).

Boss characters - TAKE THEM ALL THE FUCKING OUT. IGNIZ HAS A FUCKING INFINITE. OMEGA RUGAL IS JUST BROKEN AND HAS A JUGGLE ANYWHERE DM. KRIZALID DOES TOO MUCH DAMAGE, etc etc. SNK made these characters to be cheap. Nothing more, nothing less. I can go on about why these characters should be banned, but come on - trying to justify their presence in a TOURNEY WORTHY setting is like letting Shin Akuma into a tourney. You just don't do it.

Now Reg. Geese. I don't know. I know SNK did their best to make him a little less gayer than the SvC counterpart, but he still doesn't seem balanced. It feels like they threw some changes on him and didn't get a chance to playtest him compared to the rest of the KoF cast, e.g. he feels like he was added as an afterthought. I need to play him a bit more to see. Obviously you would want Reg. Geese, since you're a Geese fanboy like how I'm a Kyo fanboy (you = Dark Geese), but I don't know, he's a bit A+ tier to me. Which is fine - he's no Kula/Gato/Oswald.

Dark Geese
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Dark Geese » Sat Mar 28, 2009 03:20

Kane317 wrote:
Dark Geese wrote:Poll ends Friday April 3rd, 2009 at 1 PM CST so I can count all the votes and add them to the other 6 forums I am gathering information from. Now keep in mind since my poll is a bit different from his in order to syncronize the results if the options are different than mine then I am going to put them as options in the "Other" section...
-DG
I tried editing my time, doesn't allow me. But I guess we'll just freeze frame whatever result we get. I think we need to choose either your poll or my poll coz adding my results as Other to your poll doesn't change a thing (unless I'm misunderstanding you). The problem I have with your poll is that it's misleading because if ppl really want to use EX Takuma for instance, they'll have to choose #3 (nobody in their right mind would allow O.Rugal, Ignitiz, Zeroes etc...) and deal with having a possibility of going against Geese.

My whole overall point really should be:
Should Geese be legal yes or no. That should simplify everything else since most everyone agrees that EX Chars are acceptable and all the other bosses other than Geese (Goenitz included) is unacceptable. The only one in question is Geese.

So we need to come to a conclusion. If we do, then we scrap your first poll and just make it pure and simple. Should Geese be legal yes or no, then I'll delete this and start a new one.
Well like I said in CX.com, we'll just use this poll as Phase II..meaning we'll make sure the questions are super objective and there's nearly every option available people can think of the next go round....

And also with them voting as Other yes it will have an effect..because Other will gain its votes...say people want default+EX only..if a lot of people say that vote..then that option becomes viable..in other words Other works like this..

Say someone says "default+EX ONLY"

Then I mark it like this:

Other:
1. Default + EX Only: 1 vote

If someone says "Default + EX + Geese ONLY" then I mark Other:

2. Default + EX + Geese ONLY- 1 vote.

You follow me? So literally what these people say if it doesnt follow the four options BECOMES AN OPTION.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 06:55

Alright cool. How do you want to do this, merge this with your poll, start a new thread? I just don't want ppl to lose their posts which has their insights.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read you want me to keep it.

Dark Geese
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Re:

Post by Dark Geese » Sat Mar 28, 2009 14:28

Kane317 wrote:Alright cool. How do you want to do this, merge this with your poll, start a new thread? I just don't want ppl to lose their posts which has their insights.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read you want me to keep it.

Yeah we will just merge it...

Kulanator
More power! ...51%
More power! ...51%

Post by Kulanator » Sat Mar 28, 2009 15:33

I'm for Geese being allowed.

Dark Geese
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Dark Geese » Fri Apr 03, 2009 19:14

Phase II of the Recount Poll is complete:

Here are the Final Results:
SRK:
1. 36 (45)
2. 34 (66)
3. 58= (72)= wins Phase II!
4. 10
CX.COM
2. Kane317,Duc, Alternate275, Vice Vecta, Dark Chaotix,RedHurricane24,JHUN,Remxi,riot_iori
3. Hatred Edge,PhoenixAzure,Kulanator, Heavens Ascension, God Geese Howard, riot_iori, MG
NG.COM
1. Grandmaster,ilazul,Rbjakespecial
2. Astrodan, Deuce, jeff bogard,TurboCro,Domino-chan,Lyte Edge,kingbuzzo
3. Amithos,werejag
4. KanYo, Dizzy, Hakkai,VanillaThunder
SC.COM
2. jeff bogard, Grandmaster-C, Master Giby
3. Cherry Comma,
ROUND 2

NEOEMPIRE
1. KLJ,Zak
2. Atb-555, Firebug, Zer0kage,kaworu
3. True Phase, Tasty-C, Roboduck

OROCHINAGI
1. 5
2. 1 person
3. 2 people
4. 1 person

Option 3 wins across the board on 6 forums...including the vote from SRK.

What this means is that The rules for Final Round XII stay put until Phase III and we do another poll. This means for Raging Storm 2009 Goenitz will be banned to unify the North American and Mexican rules.

Thanks to everyone that voted see you for Phase III and for the KOFXII Console poll!

-DG