2K2 UM - Maxima

Guides / FAQs / Tutorials with Videos per character for Tougeki Arcade/ 360, Ps2 and Neogeo
Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron
2K2 UM - Maxima

Post by Toxic Avanger » Sun Mar 01, 2009 04:09

Command moves :

Mongolian
fwd .A
Overhead if done stand alone, can also be super canceled.

M9 Kata Maxima Missile (Experimental) :
df .C

Special Moves :

M4 Kata Vapor Cannon
QCB .P
Counter wires and his a fireball

M4 Kata Kai Missile Cannon
DP .P
Anti air version of the above

M11 Kata Dangerous Arch
HCF .K
Command throw. Among command throws this one has probably the least range in the entire game, so be mindful of that.

M19 Kata Blitz Cannon
DP .K
Jumping anti air grab, already a staple type of move in the series.

System 1 (or 2) : Maxima Scramble
qcf .A (or .C)
Quick move, the A and C version actually have different names (hence the notation), but this was because previously they where super different (they are the same now).

> Double Bomber
qcf .P
Super cancelable and continuation to the Maxima Scramble. This move must be done with the same button that you did the Scramble.

>> Bulldog Press
The finisher that goes after the Bomber, can't be super canceled.

System 3 : Maxima Lift
HCB .K
Running throw.

> Centon Press
fwd .K
Follow up to the previous move, remember to perform it after the Lift hits, otherwise it's going to cancel the press before it comes out and that voids all damage from the move.

Desperation Moves :

Maxima Revenger
HCB HCB .K
Can be performed as MAX, unlike his normal command move this throw has an amazing range.

Bunker Buster
QCFHCB .P
An autoguard defensive move.

M2 Kata Maxima Beam
fwd HCF .P
Strong damage slow fireball. I hate the move sequence, it gets in the way of many things.

Arch Enemy HCF HCF .B + .D
Max only, it's a running throw and previously his MAX2

End of World
bk (charge) fwd bk fwd + .A + .B + .C + .D
Huge ass multi hitting laser fireball, his MAX2 move.

Basic Combos:

cls .C (1 hit) -> fwd .A -> QCB .A
Your Main combo. You can replace the Cannon for the Revenger

cls .C (1 hit) -> df .C -> HCB HCB .D
The missile does more damage than the mongolian, so yeah.

cr .A -> ( qcf .A ) x 3
Your other main combo, you can add up to three jabs if you are close to the enemy, and you can super cancel the second Qcf

cr .B -> df .C -> ( qcf .C ) x 3
Similar to the one above, a low combo that whiffs against some crouching enemies, against some characters the Qcf won't hit, so you can replace it with the cannon.

cls .A -> cr .A -> cr .A -> df .C -> QCB .A
Your strongest no bar combo, it even works after a cross up, it's kinda hard to place though since it needs zero range against the enemy.

cls .C (1 hit) -> fwd .A -> qcf .A , qcf .A -> super cancel
Corner only combo (or by the back) that doesn't work on anyone, huge damage.

General Notes :

He seems to be more or less the same that he was in 02 with some Nowave tweaks... I was hoping for... well, more, since he had a bunch of different gameplay options in '99 & '00; and many other characters incorporated characteristics from every game.

His crouching B is now cancelable, but not chainable like in the good old days.

His Missile cannon (623 + punch) has 2 speeds, the weak one is extremely fast, while the strong one is a little bit slower. This doesn't seems to have any kind of special effect upon counter hit. While I thought that this move was unnecessary at first, once I got the hang of it , it became easy to stop quick characters jumps, even from jumpers who where incredibly hard to stop before (like King, Chris, Xiang Fei, Billy and others). Be careful of the angle. Just like the regular cannon, this is a fireball, so you can't doko cancel from it.

His Maxima Lift (63214 + kick) is supposedly beefed up, according to the hakase blog the follow up is now granted. I haven't checked if the start up still dodges special throws (which, certainly, was the main use of the move).

The Maxima Beam was supposedly being tuned up with better speed and more flexibility, but it feels almost the same (impossible to use).

His MAX Maxima Revenger is a little bit different visually; after the third headbutt he now jumps towards the enemy and finishes the move with a weird pile diver. Damage is still obscene.

I haven't checked how much invincibility the Arch Enemy kept, but due to the new, quicker input method (41236 x 2 + BD) now doing a thick throw tactic with "(whiffed) cls A -> this move" is pretty good and reliable.

His trusty good 'old school combo' is still there. Cross up C, cls C (1 hit), forward with A, Qcf + A x2, super cancel. (As usual, the enemy must be facing the other way for the cls C -> fwd +A -> Qcf + A to connect, and it doesn't work against everyone).

His doko cancel options are pretty lousy even with these changes, and he doesn't have that many new dialogs, I think I only heard "Missile cannon" for the 623, "BEAM" or "FAIYA" for the Maxima Beam, he goes "Final Formation... SHOOT" on his MAX2. Most of his other intros are dialogs taken from '99, he actually talks on his K' vs Maxima intro, he also has and talks on his new vs Kula intro.

EDIT :

I got to play around with the game some more.

-> The C missile cannon is invincible on start up, and then has some auto-guard before the cannon launches. It's very hard to place, and it does insane damage on counter.

-> Against a cornered enemy, on counter, from an A missile from the ground or a C missile against the air, you can fit a df + C, but it's very difficult to do so and you need almost suicidal close range. Missile cannon x 2 on counter seems more reasonable.

EDIT :

I just noticed, but; the damage of his Bunket Buster got beefed up quite greatly. If you only look at the energy bar, damage "feels the same", but that's why exactly it's more powerful than before, characters have more life in this game, but a properly placed buster still takes almost 30% of life. It even does more damage than a normal Maxima Revenger, and that's pretty hot. Also, unlike every other pre 03 KoF; damage is the same regardless on how the move hits. (Previously, if you placed wrongly the Buster (like, if the enemy is jumping pretty high in the air), the second hit of the buster did paltry damage (you lost something like >15% of damage from the move).

In short, this move is hard to place, but it's insane damage is very much worth it, specially since it can stop a bunch of stuff that you can't really stop with his other moves. LEARN when and where to place it. Just like 2k, this move and the fear of it is very important to his defense now.

Ah, also, it seems that the Buster has a different effect if it hits from mid air and behind the enemy (previously, you could do a pseudo bug where the enemy pushed you while in mid air when falling down), I haven't seen it happen through my time on 02UM.