KOF XII System Discussion

Information and discussion
Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Re: KOF XII System Discussion

Post by Kane317 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:27

PenPen wrote:Interesting stuff, pretty useful!

I see that sometimes when you're blocking you can do the b+CD attack. How does that work? Do you just press CD while blocking and it'll come out on its own?
Guard Attack, b+CD, must be initiated before you enter block stun.

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Thu Jul 09, 2009 15:14

Random tidbit:

During order selection, you can press start to hide your cursor and the big portrait on whom you're choosing. In a way, that also means you don't even know who you're choosing if you're not careful.

You can also press C (I think it's C) to show your cursor only but keep the big character portrait hidden during this mode. To cancel the portrait (and cursor) hiding, press start again.

KusoGaki
Charging...69%
Charging...69%
A.K.A.:KOF[UK]
XBL:Kuso4649Gaki
PSN:Kuso4649Gaki

Post by KusoGaki » Mon Jul 20, 2009 01:28

Dunno if this was just really obvious but i only thought of it the other day and only had time to get to test it today.

But you can roll cancel if the opponent does a guard attack.

Gonna have to mess around with roll cancel a bit more.

Tiamat
Powering up...24%
Powering up...24%

Post by Tiamat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 09:28

so it seems like if you're knocked down and don't have a good DP your options are roll or guard attack. backdashes only seem to have lower body invulnerability

fatacon
Charging...8%
Charging...8%

Post by fatacon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:34

not sure if it's a big deal, but i only recently noticed that for any command in the game, if you hold the last directional input for a few frames and you press the corresponding button, the move still comes out. it really helps when you're buffering into a move say after a CD cancel. have KOFs always had that?

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:55

holding a direction? Not sure. Older KOF's have had the (release button = input) which means you could do 2 hit combos of a normal into a special/ DM with one button press- which I have to remember to test for XII

orochan
Charging...35%
Charging...35%
A.K.A.:Leona addict
Currently Playing:Gyakuten Kenji, Yakuza3, GH5
XBL:orochan
PSN:orochi_leona

Post by orochan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 04:56

Gunsmith wrote:holding a direction? Not sure. Older KOF's have had the (release button = input) which means you could do 2 hit combos of a normal into a special/ DM with one button press- which I have to remember to test for XII
I'm pretty sure 'negative edge' is a capcom only thing...

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Aug 26, 2009 15:26

WTF... I distinctly remember a negative edge in at least one KOF. But now I can't find it (tried 95, 96 and 98). Oh well! Perhaps obviously, XII certainly does not have NE. Will try to test that input lag thing though.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Tue Sep 08, 2009 09:37

OK well I've confirmed this:

It's not just lag, it's block stun, which in XII, is much shorter than previous KOFs.

Timing is crucial in KOF. In typical games where both opponents are standing, one will perform an early jumping attack, because they're afraid of an anti air.

If XII, this is very dangerous because of reduced block stun. If the opponent blocks this early attack, you are pretty much wide open to a combo. Even if you hit the opponent, they will recover very quickly and will be able to do a (fast) attack (such as Kyo's DP), or CD counter.

Against a standing opponent with fast reflexes, don't jump. Make sure they are downed first. Any jumping attacks should be deep and comboable. Jumping CDs should only be used as counters for anti airs that are not invincible, but frankly Kyo's stand C knocks out pretty much everything.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 07:02

Crap blockstun? Rings of KoF 2k3...

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Tue Dec 08, 2009 08:57

Iie-Kyo wrote:Crap blockstun? Rings of KoF 2k3...
(very late reply, just got the game).

This is actually a big misconception, the thing is that (it's very hard to notice without carefully looking) but short jumps and long jumps have slightly different block stuns (and hit stuns). So early hops have incredibly bad block stuns, while miss timed long jumps aren't that bad. In addition most of the hops 'fall' very slowly, making the bad block stun even worse; but long jumps 'fall' at very high speeds, taking better advantage of their longer block stuns.

Few pointers that I'm not really sure if are in the forum already (but I didn't saw them in the thread, I think) :

+ Weaks attack can be cancelled into CD attacks as well, they won't combo but can be slightly useful in some cases; for example my favorite DM bait for Ash is cr B, cr A, CD, b+B. Oddly enough, light attacks that can't be cancelled at all can't be canceled into CDs (but they can be cancelled with rolls).

Be careful with the timing of the canceling, for example in that case with Ash, I always held db for charging. If I mess up the tempo of the chain, the Autoguard thingie will comeout instead of the chained CD due to the db input (what was the name of that thing again? :P)

+ Another note on CDs, also universal. If you do C/D into CD, the CD will do very little damage, instead if you do C/D into a slightly delayed CD the CD will do much more damage.

+ Attack -> Roll can now also be cancelled into back roll, this wasn't possible previously.

+ As in every other KoF that I remember, running while rolling is much more faster and covers much more ground than simply rolling. As far as I know this only works with rolling foward.

..... And I can't remember more right now, har har.

..................... click on my tag, or else......

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Dec 09, 2009 09:56

that is awesome information! I'll need to update my notes...