Shen Woo (XII)

Information and discussion
PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35
Re: Shen Woo (XII)

Post by PenPen » Tue Jun 09, 2009 15:06

Does D version of SHEN WOO UPPERCUT have some sort of invincibility? I don't think it has, but it seems to be able to out-prioritze some things like weak attacks. Maybe it's because he turns back a bit, I don't know.

I can do the SHEN WOO UPPERCUT followup after SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE more consistently now. It's a delayed thing, right when Shen is about to turn around. But I wonder what I'm able to followup with. I know after the SHEN WOO BITCHSLAP->UPPERCUT you can do like a standing A but it's because BITCHSLAP juggles the opponent.

Tiamat
Powering up...24%
Powering up...24%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Tiamat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 20:29

any possibility of being able to combo into his DM from the bitchslap? or is the DM too slow?

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24

PenPen wrote:Does D version of SHEN WOO UPPERCUT have some sort of invincibility? I don't think it has, but it seems to be able to out-prioritze some things like weak attacks. Maybe it's because he turns back a bit, I don't know.

I can do the SHEN WOO UPPERCUT followup after SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE more consistently now. It's a delayed thing, right when Shen is about to turn around. But I wonder what I'm able to followup with. I know after the SHEN WOO BITCHSLAP->UPPERCUT you can do like a standing A but it's because BITCHSLAP juggles the opponent.
I don't think he has any invincibility per se, but it's more so of the sprite like you mentioned before.

After the bitchslap (hcb~f+C)-->uppercut (qcf+K) --> qcfx2+K DM is supposedly the choice of follow up but I can't seem to get it.

Arcadia says you can simply do d.B, d.A, qcf+K, qcfx2+K DM but I can't get it off.

PenPen
MOAR
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders

Post by PenPen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 17:44

Late reply, mah apologees.

I assume that it 'works' like a super cancel. I can't pull that off either (pulling off the SHEN WOO UPPERCUT is satisfying enough lol). FightClub says you can do qcf+K,qcf+P to do that, the poster says something like "do a qcf when it hits and hold forward, mash P afterwards" and about 1-2 frames before the move ends.

One thing of note is that SHEN WOO GOES SSJ (CABC) is a 1-frame super which means it's almost instant. I've been able to input this move more frequently since it's so gawddamn fast, but the button entry is very strict and rather unreliable for me. It doesn't do as much damage as SHEN WOO PUNCH though.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:50

PenPen wrote:Late reply, mah apologees.

I assume that it 'works' like a super cancel. I can't pull that off either (pulling off the SHEN WOO UPPERCUT is satisfying enough lol). FightClub says you can do qcf+K,qcf+P to do that, the poster says something like "do a qcf when it hits and hold forward, mash P afterwards" and about 1-2 frames before the move ends.

One thing of note is that SHEN WOO GOES SSJ (CABC) is a 1-frame super which means it's almost instant. I've been able to input this move more frequently since it's so gawddamn fast, but the button entry is very strict and rather unreliable for me. It doesn't do as much damage as SHEN WOO PUNCH though.
Ok I've gotten better at it now. I've managed to do: d.B, d.A, qcf+B, qcfx2+P DM now. I don't know how to get it too consistently but sometimes I get it on the first try, sometimes I'll have to mash the qcfx2+P several times to get it out.

In case you're wondering, the qcf+K into DM "looks" like a chain coz it comes out right after the qcfx2+K.

EDIT: This deserves a separate post. So I've been struggling with the qcf+K 1frame follow up from the qcf+P and I finally got it down to a certain consistency.

Everyone has different "markers" whether it be timing or sound or opponent's visual etc. Lemme explain, I first had a bit of success by pondering "after the qcf+P, what is the latest I can input the qcf+K, while watching the opponent's recovery." That worked well for a bit and it was my first breakthrough. What I noticed however, what really messed my timing up was when I countered the opponent making them stagger it tricked me to think it was a real 2 hit combo. Furthermore, if you like doing CD into qcf+C juggles, you can't really study the opponent's frames since they're being juggled.

So I had to go back to staring and studying Shen again. Instead of studying his twisting hit frame (which Arcadia teaches you to do), I press the K button right as his fist retracts from the opponent; so as it JUSTs leaves the body I press B already.

I dunno if this helps anyone (hopefully someone finds this useful) but I've been struggling with this FOREVER and I have every intention of mastering it.
Last edited by Kane317 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 09:22, edited 4 times in total.

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Thu Jul 09, 2009 15:18

That's pretty helpful. I'm still using the 'do it when his back is turning' way of doing SHEN WOO UPPERCUT, I think currently I can do about 60%-70% on a good day.

Anyway, a quick note, if you use SHEN WOO HAMMER, it won't connect from any normals. It's that slow. But it's still a superb overhead move. Low B, low A, qcb+A is your other option aside from finishing with standing B, if you're into high-low games.

I'm thinking an early low D on opponent wakeup with qcb+A is going to mess up a lot of guys. This should be fun!

And additional useless trivia: Apparently his new SHEN WOO UPPERCUT isn't a new move, name wise. In XI his qcf/qcb+E, P move shares the same move name.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 09:21

EDIT: (it appears it's a fraction of a second AFTER what I described. I also gave in trying to do it perfect without spamming and took Arcadia's advice of pressing B-D quickly in succession when I do the qcf+K)

Ooh I forgot to post this. sugaboy over at CX told me about a combo he saw some guy in Japan pull off:

Corner: j.D, s.D, CD, qcf+D, qcf+A, qcf+K, qcf+B, qcfx2+P DM (!) Ouch.

Currently my favorite corner reset is: s.D, qcf+D, qcf+B, s.A, charge CD...

Tiamat
Powering up...24%
Powering up...24%

Post by Tiamat » Sat Jul 25, 2009 08:48

so this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFhRGkmlM1c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

how the hell is he comboing a standing B from the super in that CC combo around 3:40. is there a trick to it or is the timing just retarded hard?

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Sat Jul 25, 2009 09:49

Not really since it's still within CC. It shouldn't be that hard to do it.

Tiamat
Powering up...24%
Powering up...24%

Post by Tiamat » Sat Jul 25, 2009 19:08

I can't do it. =[

Tiamat
Powering up...24%
Powering up...24%

Post by Tiamat » Fri Jul 31, 2009 04:20

Someone on SRK says that it is impossible to combo after the CC > big flashy super on console because they changed it. LAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Sat Aug 01, 2009 07:14

Tiamat wrote:Someone on SRK says that it is impossible to combo after the CC > big flashy super on console because they changed it. LAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
That sucks. D:

But on the other hand this would lead to some really damaging combos since you haven't exited CC yet, so I guess that's fair game.

I saw someone do a SHEN WOO UPPERCUT into SHEN WOO PUNCH, it was awesome.

And I just noticed a fully charged SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE (C version) is rather easily countered with random pokes. D:

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Sat Aug 01, 2009 23:53

Does Arcadia say anything about how big the frame window for QCF+P -> QCF+K is? I sort of have the timing down (I use audio cues rather than looking at frames, and it kind of works) but I was wondering how permissive the window was.

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Sun Aug 02, 2009 05:40

You don't have many frames to execute the qcf+K followup, only it's done near the end of the move. There's no exact frame data for that yet.

Tiamat
Powering up...24%
Powering up...24%

Post by Tiamat » Sun Aug 02, 2009 18:07

People keep saying it's a 1 frame but I think they are just making it up and don't really have confirmed frame data. Feels like a 1 or 2 framer though.