Gameplay system speculation

Information and discussion
Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops
Gameplay system speculation

Post by Perfect Stranger » Fri Oct 10, 2008 03:28

In this thread we theory-craft about a game that hasn't been released yet! Like "OMG I THINK THE SOUSAI SYSTEM IS GOING TO BE BORKEN" or "NO MORE QUICK SHIFT = TEH SUK!"

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Oct 10, 2008 07:59

I guess I'll start the bitching :D

I have some reservations about the sousai/clash system in its current form. They claim it's a 'solution' to high priority normal attacks in KOF, but something about cancelling someone's wakeup uppercut with a down C or cancelling a fireball with a punch seems a bit much. I'd probably be ok with it if it were either very frame/position-specific or if they made it such that you can only clash with attacks in the same class (i.e. normals with normals, specials with specials, DMs with DMs).

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sat Oct 11, 2008 14:55

I suppose they could tighten the clash system so the frame window is smaller, so you can't just punch a fireball away like nobody's business. And it would make sense if the system was refined so you can't clash with a DM. After all, it would be retarded if you can clash the Orochi Nagi with a kick.

BTW, anyone care to speculate who the boss will be? Given from the way SNKP is trying to cut costs, my guess is the boss isn't going to be someone they draw and animate for one use.

Rugal is the most obvious choice for the boss given his track record as the quintessential KOF boss, and he can always reappear in another dream match. Geese is popular enough that a lot of people won't mind seeing him again (me! me!), but he's dead in KOF canon, so like Rugal, he won't be making another appearance until another dream match. The Orochi and NESTs line bosses are out, and Magaki's (plus a lot of people hate him, including me) dead, so that leaves Mukai. Shion could be another likely candidate, but she doesn't have anything to tie to the whole 'rebirth' theme, plus it would be weird to elevate her from sub-boss to final boss.

But if I were to make an educated guess, I'd say Adel would be a more realistic idea. His fighting style at least partially resembles his dad enough that he can be the new Rugal while being able to stand up on his own. More importantly, like in 2k3 and XI, they can always bring Adel back as a playable character to fit the storyline in the next game, so he won't be an unused sprite. Unlike Shion, Adel shared the limelight with Mukai for the role of final boss, so it wouldn't be out of place to make him a boss again, and given his ending in XI, he could very well tie into the next story-driven KOF title.

Apathy Wind
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:PS3 Crap Shoot
Currently Playing:no whammies, no whammies...

Post by Apathy Wind » Sat Oct 11, 2008 18:19

I agree it'll probably be Adel because:

- he's pretty much Neo Rugal and some form of Rugal is always the boss of non-canon KoFs
- he's already been a boss (of sorts)
- he'll definitely be in the next game

I guess there's an outside chance of it being Ron but I doubt it. It doesn't seem that SNK is going to 'waste' any new characters on XII - if all the characters are returning fighters or established fighters then I see no reason that the boss wouldn't follow suit.

Monpochi
Cancel Combo Mode
A.K.A.:Credens Justitiam

Post by Monpochi » Sat Oct 11, 2008 18:42

Same here, it's actually one of the things i've been wondering about.

As much as i want Shion to return, the task of doing his animation to XII level i bet would take a LOT so that lessens any possibility. The Storyline interferes here also since it wasn't hinted if ever he got out of that realm. However, unless those 2 persons that took Magaki from the XI-Ikari ending ends up reviving him or sorts Shion might then have a possibility to appear. Or Shion could have had escaped from the realm and went bat shit mad, that can be a nice twist... "Deranged Shion" lulz.

On Adel, woah, he never came up to my attention. But as already mentioned, with his current status seemingly elevated to being "the New Rugal" he may end up being the boss. That, and Botan got Rose as her new "pet" i bet Adel won't just let Botan away.

In any case, my theory for the boss... is a powered up Ash. Hey, I-no from Guilty Gear XX ended up like this. And it sort of saves them a lot of time with the animation and stuff. :P

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sun Oct 12, 2008 05:29

Monpochi wrote: In any case, my theory for the boss... is a powered up Ash. Hey, I-no from Guilty Gear XX ended up like this. And it sort of saves them a lot of time with the animation and stuff. :P
You know, after Regulation A, I had that idea too. Ash is getting more powerful with each appearance (although in XI he had some compromises too), so it wouldn't surprise me to see an overpowered Ash as the final boss. Oh wait, all they have to do is just put the Regulation A version into XII, with all those Stylish Combos to boot and he'd be the final boss. Shin Ash FTW! :salute:

Kain
Charging...50%
Charging...50%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:Ocelotzin
PSN:Ashlar_Kain

Post by Kain » Wed Oct 15, 2008 07:02

Perfect Stranger wrote: "NO MORE QUICK SHIFT = TEH SUK!"
I cannot stress this enough. It was a way more balanced combo system than KOF 2k2's BC cancel and it looked spectacular (and was preventalb egiven that you had two, um, alternate stocks and one partner).

Oh, and I agree with everything Tel said.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Re: Gameplay system speculation

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Apr 15, 2009 23:29

Unstickying this since we're well past the point of speculation, I think...I'll sticky Pen's system discussion thread instead.