King of Fighters XII news (videos from the 2nd loketest)

Information and discussion
hebretto
Neomaxxing
A.K.A.:Free HUGS!!!
Currently Playing:2D fighting games
XBL:hebretto
Re: King of Fighters XII news (videos from the 2nd loketest)

Post by hebretto » Thu Apr 02, 2009 01:37

How now brown cow. English FTW!!!

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Thu Apr 02, 2009 22:24

http://evo2k.com/?page_id=230" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently the KOFXII tournament Ignition has been talking about is co-organised by EVO, and signups open next week. Anyone here going to toss their hat into the ring?

hebretto
Neomaxxing
A.K.A.:Free HUGS!!!
Currently Playing:2D fighting games
XBL:hebretto

Post by hebretto » Fri Apr 03, 2009 03:43

I think the page won't load come that time everyone will be hitting refresh like doing lightning legs hahahahaha the problem is any random can just register I think it should be means tested I mean you can have a masher in the 128 tournament as well as a season pro ... I think Dark Geese will jump onto this shit fo sho hahaha

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Post by Foxhole » Fri Apr 03, 2009 04:29

One of the prizes is your very own KOF XII cabinet.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Sat Apr 04, 2009 18:18

http://cyberfanatix.com/index.php?m=single&id=1646" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More videos from Portland.

Tiamat
Powering up...24%
Powering up...24%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Tiamat » Thu Apr 09, 2009 07:45

thanks a ton for the links

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 16:50

Okay, I played the game. It's out in Hong Kong, and as expected, NOBODY freaking played the game because we're a 2k2 dominated KOF society. Ranting aside, impressions below (and if it's said already, or I'm incorrect, please don't go nuts on me because I'm getting old and may be forgetting some things here and there).

The cabinet I played is a standard cabinet. One rather disappointing thing is that since it's a back-to-back cabinet, somehow player 1 and 2 shares the same coin count even though there's one listed at the player 1 side and another at the player 2 side respectively. What this caused is that (in the few chances I get to play versus) when I insert a coin at the same time as another player, I'm actually helping him reach the number of coins required to start. And it starts automatically, so player 1 may start playing even though he inserted only half of his coins (and I helped insert the other half).

I think you all know that by now, the graphics are freaking beautiful and I'm not going to say more about that (me no graphics whore). I have no idea why when you win, everything in the background moves faster. I guess they're trying to play old school.

Single player mode consists of a "Time Trial Mode" where once you start playing, the 3 identical girls will introduce you to time trial mode, where every match will be timed. The cool thing is that you are able to retry the whole match if you are unsatisfied with the last match's timing (after you won). You can only have one retry each match. I don't think there's a limit for retries in the whole time trial mode, but the most I did was retry for two matches.

The proceeding is this: You fight 3 teams first, and then the Satella News Network thingy will do a cutscene (see it at least once because it's also very beautiful with people moving and stuff) and then you fight two more teams. And that's it. The final stage is over at the night time stadium, and once you're done with the whole game, it'll rank you on the total time you played for the whole game (with a short cutscene). So yeah, no Rugal or whomever, just everyone you see in game. By the way, single player mode has no winquote screen. You just directly go to the next match.

I think the SRK post has pretty much everything about the system down.
b+CD is the parry CD. The animation that comes out may be different (eg. Kyo actually does his low C attack instead of CD shoulder ram). Note that when you're blocked, you're screwed big time since there's zero pushback. What I see is that some people use it as an anti-air of sorts after doing a fierball and anticipating a jump in.

CD can also be charged. If charged fully it becomes unblockable and I **think** you move forward a little bit more than normal CD (probably not...my brain is starting to forget about the details about the game! Type faster Pen!). If it connects, the opponent will end up in a weak-KO animation and you can run up and do a followup.

You can also linkup/cancel a close attack into CD for a juggle in the various vids you saw already. Even if cancelled, you can hold CD to charge. In this case (or even when it's done by itself, I forgot), you can also connect with whatever moves since it's counted as a juggle.

Jump CDs only have knockdown properties.

Next is the "Counter Critical" system where you can start off a combo once the CC bar is full. From what I see, the CC bar charges faster when you get hit. When it's charged fully, lifebar goes flashing, and you can initiating the CC by pressing b+C (so far everyone I used has b+C). You can tell that it's a CC initiator by seeing the yellowish glow around your character. By the way, the CC bar will start to decrease once it's full, so you have a limited time to run up and try to start a CC combo. Anyway, once a counter hit is registered with the CC initiating, you can do bullshit combos by running up and pressing C like a madman (that's what I did). Even though it doesn't feel or look like it, comboing is rather lax and you can try connecting and finishing with a DM even though you didn't cancel into the DM (eg. a bunch of Cs, then input DM). Obviously, when the CC bar is done, everything goes back to normal.

Rolling seems to go pretty far to me. I tried to do a guard cancel roll but it didn't come out. I assume that it's just not in this game.

Oh, normal attacks. If you ask me, I think XII's normals are kinda lame. There's no close/far versions, just standing/crouching/jumping normals. There's not much variations and you don't get to fool around with pokes unless you're Beni (good to know that his annoying far B is now universal standing B).

You do however have a f+C attack which I assume is the character's original far C animation, because that's what it is for me. But f+C attacks aren't cancellable, and they can't be cancelled into. I consider them an extra set of normal attack. And especially if you're trying to do like a run up C, you may accidentally do f+C, and that's it (ie baibai potential combo). I think some other characters have an f+D but you don't have both f+C and f+Ds for the same character (so far).

I wish there's a counter message. But once you counter something, the opponent spins around like in MOTW and you can follow up with stuff.

Character impressions in their respective threads. I've made it clear that I don't like the toned down movelists (it became my SaiFAIL nomination afterall). But I can live with what they handed us, I think. I believe each character has at most 4 special moves altogether.

Oh, and CPU is pretty smart, stupid and weird at the same time. Jump ins are definitely going to get pwned if they have the time to execute a dp. They'll pull off moves at random. And at least from what I see, Goro really likes to repeat his dp+P move (he mixes up the real and the fake one), and Raiden likes to do his grab against nothing repeatedly.

I don't get to listen to any BGMs while playing (everything is so loud around me), but the voices are in Japanese since the game is in Japanese language.

If you ask me whether I'm impressed in the overall package, I'm still kinda on the fence. It does look nice, but I don't know...the timing is weird, the animations need a lot of getting used to. Gameplay wise, I am still getting used to the game but for some odd reason I'm having the same feeling when 2k3 was out. It was "This is a very weird game" and "It doesn't feel like KOF to me." It's very weird. I'm usually rather pumped up when playing KOF, but when playing this one, it just feels kinda meh to me. I hope it wins me over in the long run. I'll keep playing to support SNK's effort, but I doubt other people will see the same thing and keep playing after a few games.

And then they'll get replaced with 2k2 machines again. Yey.
Last edited by PenPen on Thu Apr 09, 2009 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

PenPen
MOAR
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders

Post by PenPen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 18:19

Double post to myself (and a push for this topic to the top), I didn't get to experience the clash system much yet. Once it happens, if you don't do anything you automatically hop back. So far, it's rather rare to see this happen.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Thu Apr 09, 2009 20:03

PenPen wrote:Gameplay wise, I am still getting used to the game but for some odd reason I'm having the same feeling when 2k3 was out. It was "This is a very weird game" and "It doesn't feel like KOF to me."
This...doesn't sound too promising.

BP
hunted by pedo police
A.K.A.:Leader of the Yoruzuya Dan
Currently Playing:Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, KoF XIII

Post by BP » Fri Apr 10, 2009 09:05

Thanks for the impressions, Pen.

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xii/english/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

English website is up. Also shows a few combo vids for Team Ash.

This may usually not be newsworthy, but check out the image in the official anniversary site.

http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/top_j.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's K' and Mai (drawn by Ogura) doing there? And it looks like nothing from their NGBC artworks. Hmmm!

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Apr 10, 2009 09:07

BP wrote: What's K' and Mai (drawn by Ogura) doing there? And it looks like nothing from their NGBC artworks. Hmmm!
...excellent.

Granted, it's probably going to be something silly like KOF'99 K' but at least I can have both my main KOF XI teams back in action.

Also:
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/press_rel ... hp?num=194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The game is officially released as of today.

Bugle/Hawk'M
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:When life gives you lemons, make Kaiser Waves
Currently Playing:some games
XBL:BugleHawkeM
PSN:BugleHawkeM

Post by Bugle/Hawk'M » Fri Apr 10, 2009 16:20

Stupid/interesting things I noticed on the webstie:
-They forgot Kim's last name. Everyone else has thier's (except Raiden of course).
-Raiden dislikes Koalas
-Shen Woo's explosion super took out about a third or quarter life on critical counter. Is that good or bad?

Fuu
hunted by pedo police
Currently Playing:by ear
PSN:OswaldK9o

Post by Fuu » Fri Apr 10, 2009 17:45

dude every true SNK believer needs to know that Kim Kaphwan was an employee at SNK so they called the character accordingly: but since when he left they just omit the last name.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Apr 10, 2009 18:35

Actually I think he was the CEO of Viccom or something (the guys who made the craptastic Fight Fever).

And yeah they've been leaving out Kim's last name since...what, 2002?

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 21:01

XII complete movelist in moonspeak.

http://schiphol.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/g ... 00805/6-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;