Is it me...

Leave your brain cells at the door.
Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne
Re: Is it me...

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Fri Aug 19, 2011 04:24

It seem people dont understand how they are ranked in tiers in the first place. Its just a round of what the characters have (offence, defence, damage, mixups, comboability, oki, moves, options etc etc) compared to each other thats applicable for the game in question. This just give a player (or new player to the game) an idea of who is the best in (terms of the above) overall in the game. Obviously as new things are found they might move up. Then its up to the player skill to see how they fare.

One problem I see is that people make a tier list based on the above AND how many people play them, win comps with them etc. I dont think that should be right because thats how you get different list for different countries. Even if you take the player out and just focus on the characters core options, you going to have different countries rank them differently.

Ive seen number or times top tiers lows to lower one because the players with the low tier characters is just that much better. I was surprised to see a Zafina player in tekken crash recently considering the amount of good players korea have and use other better characters. Even Julia has been showing up alot lately and she is upper mid. Who would of thought Poongko (seth) would smash Daigo (Yun)?

Goes back to that saying i heard once "The tool is only as good as it wielder".

I agree that is really up to the player in the end.

Shiny
Posts too much
A.K.A.:Wreck-It Richard.
Currently Playing:Baseball. With your skull.
XBL:Callsign Rain
PSN:Anariaca3279

Post by Shiny » Fri Aug 19, 2011 05:23

Waitadamnminute, this topic is in the Stupid Room, but now I feel educated. SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.

I usually eyeball the tiers after I start to like a character and use them after playing them for a while just out of curiosity. Then I'll continue using them because I am comfy with my choice of character. Ease of use is usually my forte, and I'll devise strategies around that. It's like in the new MK. I'm sure I remember seeing/reading that Kung Lao is the Yun of the game, but I hold my own against decent KLs and Reptiles with my raggedy Sonya.

Some people are beat psychologically because of these tiers; as I read on SRK about one person refusing to fight any Yuns at all because he felt Yun was too gdlk. It all comes down to skill in the end. Which is why I liked seeing Poongko and Latif blow up Daigo (Not sure what tier Seth or Viper's in, but apparently the best SF player using the best available SF character wasn't enough).

Tits.

*fulfilled Stupid Room requirement*

The Monster
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%
A.K.A.:Poison Mist All Day!
PSN:MonsterManX

Post by The Monster » Fri Aug 19, 2011 08:10

Truth the Player represents everything when it comes down to it.

KOF XIII seems to be very like.."fine lined" , I'm not saying everything is perfect. But I was on Dream Cancel the other day and I didn't realise they had the Tier list up on their front page I think. Regardless , I noticed that only 2 guys were above everyone else (at the time Being K and Raiden , which I know have been nerfed now to some extent) , but I really enjoyed the fact that even reading that stupid list a lot of the basic roster were evened out on the other 3 levels on the tier list. So my belief is this game is going to be pretty damn well balanced , not perfect. Nothing ever is but pretty damn good. I'm actually excited to see what people discover and come up with in this game. I know I read somewhere some people were Iffy about Ryo and that CCL guy wrecked face with him in that recent tournement over in the UK (forgive me if I'm wrong). So who knows. Maybe I'm being a wishful thinker here , but blame that on my KOF nubness.

Also um..."Tits".

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Fri Aug 19, 2011 09:25

Lol. Sorry if i educated anyone but I thought I mention it since tiers was mentioned.

Usually you come across...

high tier + less work/ skill = easy win
low tier + more work/ skill = deserved win

It boring to watch top tiers in games go at it (Tekken 6 EVO 11 top 8 anyone.... xmad ), but always refreshing to see unused or low tier dominate. Which is why lot of sf4 player have jumped on the Seth bandwagon *thinking* he is super good just because Poongko smash Daigo's Yun.

With XIII console version. We just have to wait and see because we now have the option of getting balance updates (if people scream about it alot). It might be awhile before we see a nice flushed out kof xiii.

Persona
last rank
last rank
A.K.A.:BANNED
Currently Playing:BANNED

Post by Persona » Fri Aug 19, 2011 16:31

I just see tiers as what a character is capable of compared to the risks involved (low risk high reward). And as others have said, not everyone can click with a top tier. I still think Daigo plays Ryu much better than Yun. Although I do tier whore a bit too (if you really wanna win, you really don't have a choice), I still pick characters that fit well enough with my playstyle. Like KOF 2003 for example, I suck with Duo Lon so I stick to the higher tiers like K', Billy, Ash, etc.

Not everyone can play a top tier character and expect good results.

And we all know why everyone is hugging Sentinel's nuts in pre-patch MvC3 (braindead damage, braindead combos, good assists, lots of health, etc).

Fuu
hunted by pedo police
Currently Playing:by ear
PSN:OswaldK9o

Post by Fuu » Fri Aug 19, 2011 17:10

AA is top tier, but I lost twice with it today, against 33 and 66 in allin preflop! I lost like 30€!

See

Branger
More power! ...18%
More power! ...18%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Currently Playing:Too much, or not enough?
XBL:BurningRanger23
PSN:BurningRanger23

Post by Branger » Fri Aug 19, 2011 22:58

Shiny wrote:Waitadamnminute, this topic is in the Stupid Room, but now I feel educated. SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.
Whoa, I certainly didn't expect nor intend for this to happen. I had known about the tiering issue of AE long before the console release, and I knew that some people I encountered would take advantage. My point seemed to focus on the selection of characters based on names and appearance, which, while playing on Xbox Live, makes me wonder if people actually do choose characters because of this criteria (which may be a stupid assumption itself).

Now, getting back to the true spirit of "Geese is Ration Six"... OMG, Next Month Capcom Vs SNK 2 turns 10 years old!!! wow

But then that means...

I've been lurking on this board for OVER TEN YEARS!!! :lol: xmad

Shiny
Posts too much

Post by Shiny » Sat Aug 20, 2011 00:39

I've been actually posting here for 10 years. Maybe even 11.

Wait, CvS2 will be 10 years old in a month? You're right, now that I think about it. I remember spending nearly double what the game was worth (Rest in Piss, Buy-Rite) to get it imported, but then the WTC got attacked and that halted mail for awhile.

I'm not a competitive player by any means, but I understand why even the non-competitive follow tiers. It explains/justifies why they've been losing/winning; but Shiny don't care. Shiny don't give a shit. My online W/L ratio will tell you that. takuma1

Persona
last rank
last rank
A.K.A.:BANNED
Currently Playing:BANNED

Post by Persona » Sat Aug 20, 2011 00:44

Me love you long time Shiny. Gunsmith should wed us.

I heard choosing a higher tier gets you more chances with women.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Sat Aug 20, 2011 02:26

Choosing high tier gets you closer to becoming a Kayo Police

The Monster
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by The Monster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 04:39

Dark_Chaotix wrote:Choosing high tier gets you closer to becoming a Kayo Police
Winner. Hahaha oh man.

So not even trying to be rude here but 10 years ago was this place seeing a higher amount of activity? I know KOF isn't as big as some other fighting game franchises in some countries but it seems like only 5 people post here and it's very light on new posts. Hell I feel like just by contributing to some of these threads I ruined the silence or something. It's a shame because you guys easily have one of the friendlist and more organized boards.

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Post by Foxhole » Sat Aug 20, 2011 04:44

Yeah, it used to be more busy. Now it's just a collection of near 30 year olds who still feel like talking with each other.

The Monster
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by The Monster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 05:00

Foxhole wrote:Yeah, it used to be more busy. Now it's just a collection of near 30 year olds who still feel like talking with each other.
Yikes. Well I'm only a "mere" 9-10 years younger then if that helps o_o . That does explain the helpfullness of you guys , mucho appreciated. Sometimes I can't really figure out wtf is being said technical wise but w/e that's how I am even with the fighting games I do play. I guess I'm a Story/Character guy so I can talk about that stuff more. That and I'm still learning this games lingo and stuff haha.

Are all of you guys from the UK? Sometimes I wonder if half the crap I say makes sense cause I'm from the U.S. , I think I saw a few U.S ppl here.

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Post by Foxhole » Sat Aug 20, 2011 05:07

The collection here is fairly diverse. Some Euros, some Middle Eastern, a couple from Asia.

Anyone new is essentially going to be ten or so years younger. It's pretty quiet now, I only post so much because my job has so much downtime.

Shiny
Posts too much

Post by Shiny » Sat Aug 20, 2011 05:33

Persona wrote:Me love you long time Shiny. Gunsmith should wed us.
It's about damn time. We're both getting old, so may as well.
Foxhole wrote:The collection here is fairly diverse. Some Euros, some Middle Eastern, a couple from Asia.

Anyone new is essentially going to be ten or so years younger. It's pretty quiet now, I only post so much because my job has so much downtime.
This is all truth. We're a melting pot as far as active user base goes..all 7 of us anyway.