[UM] Rugal

Was it all just Shingo's dream?
PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35
[UM] Rugal

Post by PenPen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 21:18

I tried him a bit and it's good to know that he's much better than in 98 now.

Far C is now cancellable (don't think I can kara-cancel though...I'll check again later).
dp+K is as advertised in loketest, it's much better now and seems like Rugal will bring the opponent into the air regardless.
The formerly useless qcfx2+K/BD headstomp super is back with a vengeance, it's very, very fast now. Doesn't make it any less noticable but it does give him a better chance of completing the headstomp.

Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much
A.K.A.:BROsuke
Currently Playing:A lot of things
PSN:KagaminKyousuke

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Sun Mar 23, 2008 21:55

Hey, noticed something with Kaiser Wave? I do remember in one loke test that he had another version of this which was way faster to shoot, and it allowed you to make the KW unblockable way easier to do.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun May 04, 2008 16:54

- Reppuken> Deadend Screamer unblockable fireball set up still works
- Far Stand B now cancellable.
- At least 1 Rugal Player has qualified for SBO so far. Looking good...

From Wiki:

c.B> c.A> Quick Max> Close s.D> f+B> God Press DM

c.B> c.A> f+B> Quick Dodge> Dodge Attack> God Press DM

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Tue Jun 24, 2008 20:31

IMO, Rugal's easily upper mid-tier this year, and may even find his way into the top tier eventually. The most important thing, is that he doesn't seem to have any really bad match ups.

(Please note, below I detail a strategy that I'm still working on. It has seemed to work effectively for me so far, but it could be because the people I've been playing with aren't used to it. So yes this is a work in progress, but it is NOT theory fighter since I've used it in actual matches against competent players.)

On top of the improvements that PenPen already mentioned, here's another important one:
- A button Kaiser Wave releases faster now, and cancels other super fireballs, including Krauser's Kaiser Wave (this makes Rugal the ONLY character in the game who can zone Krauser...). In '98, Rugal has a sorta, okay full screen zoning game based on mixing up between held and immediately released/ A button and C button Kaiser Waves. Well in UM, the zoning game just got a lot better, and IMO it gives Rugal a very viable way to fight the zoners in the current top tier (Krauser, Ex King, Ex Geese).

- Add in the fact that a stored Kaiser Wave does close to DM damage, and you have a wicked keep away game.

- The C Kaiser Wave isn't nearly as good as the A one. Even though it moves VERY fast when released, it has a huge pause before it releases, making it easy to roll through and punish.

- IMO Rugal's Kaiser Waves may well be one of the strongest anti-Krauser strats in the game. The fact that the A Button Kaiser Wave moves slowly means that Krauser has major difficulties jumping over it without getting hit.

Here in a nutshell are the basics of the zoning game, anyone who's used Rugal in 98' will be familiar with this, but keep in mind that it's even better that it was in 98 because of the faster release (again, for the A button only).

I'll use Rugal and Krauser as an example. The lines represent the ends of the screen so yes, to be able to do this properly, you have to push Krauser to the other end of the screen, which might not be easy. Spots 1 and 2 represent certain critical spots to watch out for.

|R...S...S....K|
|U...P...P....R|
|G...O...O...A|
|A...T...T....U|
|L...1...2.....S|

- From full screen, you do a Kaiser Wave motion, and decide to do one of two things: Hold or release. If you release it immediately, there's a good chance the opponent will roll through it, but he'll be too far to do anything to you, so from there you work to push him back again. No win, no loss. Of course if he releases a fireball or super fireball, you release immediately to nullify it. If Ex Geese jumps and throws his double Shippuken, you want to delay the release such that you absorb both Shippukens, and the Kaiser Wave is below him as he lands.

- If you hold, then he'll either:
a) Sit down there and try to roll last minute (which is fine for you since in the worst case scenario he still can't touch you, in the best case scenario, he screws up and gets hit for DM damage).
b) Run forward and try to roll through. Now this is where to have to watch the two spots. Spot 1 is the distance he needs to be at to roll behind you or within grab range. If he reaches that spot you either eat or combo or get grabbed, so you want to avoid that. Spot 2 is the distance from which if you let him roll through, he can crouch C and combo you if he successfully rolls past the Kaiser Wave. It okay if he rolls from this distance, as long as you release the Kaiser Wave just as he's coming out the roll (and hit him for good damage and push him back).

So it comes down to playing chicken with the opponent the moment he runs past spot 2. I would recommend releasing the Kaiser Waves early the first 1 or 2 times, before he even gets to spot 2. Even if he rolls, you're still safe. Then the next time, you can hold it longer, and if he rolls to avoid the early release Kaiser Wave, you hit him as he comes out of the roll.

- Of course the sweet spots will change when you're talking about different characters, especially against characters who CAN jump over the Kaiser Waves. Unlike most strats, this actually seems to work BEST against Krauser, which if why I like it so much.

arstal
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by arstal » Wed Jun 25, 2008 00:59

What if Krauser Kaiser Waves himself, won't his Dm Wave beat Rugal's Wave, or does he have to charge it for that to work?

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Wed Jun 25, 2008 04:49

Rugal's Kaiser Wave cancels all super fireballs now, at least at the DM level. No idea about the SDM level though.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Wed Jun 25, 2008 06:40

AcidicEnema wrote:Rugal's Kaiser Wave cancels all super fireballs now, at least at the DM level. No idea about the SDM level though.

"OMG BORKEN!!"

:LOL:

Still no UM here in Aus.. meh....

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Jun 27, 2008 17:31

AcidicEnema wrote:Rugal's Kaiser Wave cancels all super fireballs now, at least at the DM level. No idea about the SDM level though.
Do you mean when it's charged or uncharged? I wasn't stupid enough to try challenging an SDM before, but I know back in 98 the charged version will beat a Haoh Shokou Ken DM, while it clashes when uncharged.

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Fri Jun 27, 2008 17:48

Uncharged cancels Fireball DM.

It's logic by a way, but non charged Rugal's KW clash with non charged Krauser's KW DM.

I think that it's his best move (A version), very anoying, anti air, keep away, pressing, hard to avoid due to charge and possibility to make the screen edge blocked by moving back with Rugal (if you know what I mean ^^')

Also, his genocide cutter had some changes : now the B version has a very fast activation and hit landed opponent fast, but no invincibility. And the D version is totaly invincible in the upper part of Rugal's body, act as a perfect anti air, but don't connect in landed opponent.

So to be clear : B for land, D for anti air.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Thu Jul 03, 2008 18:15

Man, Rugal sure is fun as heck to use in 98UM, and his Kaiser Wave borders on being abusive now. The D Genocide Cutter works like a charm as well, stopping pretty much any jump-in or cross-up attempts, while mixing a few Reppu Kens with the Kaiser Waves make Rugal one of the best zoners I've ever used. Having his far B and C cancelable also makes his pokes more effective. I'd say Rugal is easily the most improved character in 98UM.

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Thu Jul 03, 2008 20:01

His close/far C/Ds are still way too laggy , the fact you can cancel them into fireballs or wutnot doesn't really help it actually makes it worse lol cos in 98 people just escaped rolled once they saw a C/D come out for free combo =/

Having a decent anti air is pretty much all he needed actually ^^ A lot of people actually don't realise rugal's air-ground and ground pokes have quite high priority; high jumpD beats a lot of air-air moves, jumpB still has great crossup, jumpCD beats moves it shouldn't be beating considering the angle is so weird...

Of course you need to be quite a zoner to play Rugal well; as in stick with poking with ONLY As and Bs when in close/mid range, fireball mixups with an occasional reflector thrown in from far...basically the same strat in 98 except in UM you actually have an option when the guy jumps at you lol. Sweep still basically gets you killed =/

I'm gonna miss the old clashed D genocide cutter --> Godpress DM though haha....

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Thu Jul 03, 2008 21:28

His A button Kaiser Wave also changed a lot of things about this character, it's a very very anoying move, and a perfect -non risk- long distance anti air. And can be used in "hado traps" with no fear of Fireball DM (something that Ex Geese can't do for exemple)

Also the fact that his far st B is cancellable make him one of the good poking characters in the game, with Heavy D, Takuma etc...

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 23:18

Tel wrote:Having his far B and C cancelable also makes his pokes more effective. I'd say Rugal is easily the most improved character in 98UM.
Sup Tel, I knew I recognized you were from Orochinagi.com as well... =) Not to hijack the thread completely, but I'd say Brian Battler was easily the most improved.

Ok, to add something relevant, what would you say his BnB light chain is? AE and I were trying to get his d.B, d.B, Far s.B, f.B [1 hit] --> special/super and we conclude it's not consistent enough...so should I just stick with d.B, d.A, or d.b, s.B?

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Jul 03, 2008 23:59

Actually I just saw some match videos on Nico where some Rugal players consistently link d.B and d.A into far s.B> f+B> God press.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3419298

So I guess his BnB now is d.B/d.A> d.B/d.A> far s.B> f+B> God press/Super

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 01:17

AcidicEnema wrote:Actually I just saw some match videos on Nico where some Rugal players consistently link d.B and d.A into far s.B> f+B> God press.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3419298

So I guess his BnB now is d.B/d.A> d.B/d.A> far s.B> f+B> God
press/Super
Seems like it needs some sort of username and password to view those vids...any tips?