[UM] EX King

Was it all just Shingo's dream?
PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35
[UM] EX King

Post by PenPen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 19:24

Is she as good as advertised before?

df+D: Slide attack. Same as normal version.

qcf+K: Venom Strike, standard fierball stuff. The poster commented that it looked ugly. I saw the fierball, it's like a mini-hadouken without the smiley face in SF2.

dp+K: Dunno what this is called. Can link from weak attacks and very good for building stock etc.

hcb+K: Tornado Kick, quick to come out, great for countering laggy moves. If done at a farther distance, she's pretty much safe. Seems like it can connect after a df+D too...

Close rdp+K: Not sure what this is. The poster said it's her key move, can connect from low B->low A. Also connectable from close B. Poster also said close D may push her too far away.

qcfx2+P/AC: I suppose this is the Suprise Rose DM in 2k1. Can be connectable from low B->low A. Can be used as anti-air. If df+D is done close enough, this can link. SDM version has more stomps.

Edit:
Forgot this.
qcfx2+K/BD: 2 fierball super. That's pretty much it about this. SDM version's fierballs are larger.
Last edited by PenPen on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

TamaYak
One stock!
One stock!

Post by TamaYak » Thu Mar 20, 2008 22:32

Close rdp+K must be her command grab like kof99 except this version knocks opponent into the air then connect either of her supers.

PenPen
MOAR
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders

Post by PenPen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 20:03

If I didn't mention before, SDM qcfx2+P has startup invincibility and obviously if she's close enough, you get hit by the full thing.

Getting hit by this two times in a row is no fun.

Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much
A.K.A.:BROsuke
Currently Playing:A lot of things
PSN:KagaminKyousuke

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Sun Mar 23, 2008 21:47

Surprise Rose is from AOF 2 ;3

dp+K = Trap Shot?

Frederick
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Frederick » Thu Apr 03, 2008 08:07

Dp+K should be trap shot.

can the surprise rose juggle from her new combo move in the corner for style points?

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Fri Apr 04, 2008 08:29

Yeah, dp+K is Trap Shot.

Basically, she can do stuff like rdp+K -> dp+K or qcfx2+P/K. That's because her rdp+K is a juggle.

Frederick
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Frederick » Mon Apr 07, 2008 08:31

tried juggling with surprise rose after rdp+kick from the rising part and the stepping part. it missed on all occasions.

surprise rose A sometimes misses certain characters from a dwn B, dwn A combo. while I think the C version will always hit.

if one does down C, slide the slide cannot be canceled with a special.

it can only be canceled from itself though

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Mon Jun 30, 2008 20:08

After hours of tests and failures I found out how to combo from a df+D, eg:D(1hit)>df+D, rdp+K.
you have to cancel into df+D on the last active frame of the sD, same for the second hit of sD and 2+C

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Kane317 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 01:34

What, there's no love for this character? Ex King is ranked really high so I'm quite surprised.

She can do this non-corner:
-d.B, d.A/Close s.B or s.A, rdp+K, walk or dash dp+K. You can also Q.MAX in the middle of rdp+K for extra damage.
-d.B, Close s.A, qcfx2+C seems to connect more often than the A version. You can also do d.A if they are crouching but depending on the opponent it may miss.
-s.D [2hits], late cancel into dwn-fwd+B, qcf+K/hcb+D/or qcfx2+D DM.
-After the rdp+K you can indeed tack on a qcfx2+D DM but not the qcfx2+P DM

-Close s.B is still good, just like Iori's, and hence still hits low which is great for pressure hop games.

-Jump D, Jump back D is still effective. (I'll test if it actually combos)

Of course there's the infamous challenge combo for the PS2 in the corner:
s.D [2hits], RDP+K, slight delay hcb+B [First hit only], dp+K Q.MAX on last hit, dp+K. Does a lot for a non-DM combo.

Any regular EX King users out there, I'm just starting to pick her up.
Last edited by Kane317 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Thu Jul 17, 2008 16:09

It's not that I don't like her... It's just that I'm bored to see this character everywhere, since it's one of the easiest characters to use... And she's very very strong.

At the early days of the game, I was planning to play her seriously, since I like the character... But seeing everybody picking her, and doing the same things again and again....

But obviously, she's a very interesting character, with a lot of options, good defense, and strong zoning game.

*You can put a double strike SDM after her rdp D in the corner, you just have to move back a little, and do it, you get the two hits.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:20

More variations from the Wiki and testing:

d.B, d.B, Far A

d.B x2 > Trap Shot

d.B x2 > C Surprise Rose DM

d.B x2 > rdp+K > Walk~Trap Shot or D Double Strike DM

s.D [1hit] > delay DwnFwd+D > rdp+K > Walk~Trap Shot or D Double Strike DM

(corner) weak Venom Strike as opponent gets up > Far C or Surprise Rose DM
Last edited by Kane317 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 08:35, edited 2 times in total.

Bankotsu
Charging...35%
Charging...35%

strongest King

Post by Bankotsu » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:34

Hey guys!

I got a question for you, in the case of normal Geese and Ex Gesse at the beginning some people used to say that Ex Geese was stronger but at this times obviosluy normal Geese is stronger. So, in the case of both Kings, wich one is the strongest: Ex King or normal King??? and why ???

:kim:

arstal
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by arstal » Fri Aug 08, 2008 15:57

EX. Normal King has better keepout, but EX has the ability to DM combo effectively, and easily, whereas King has a really hard time getting the big damage.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 19:48

Obviously EX King has great normal pokes just like Reg.King both rendering them excellent zoners.

Ex King however, has to rely more on her pokes more for anti-air strategies whereas Reg.King has dp+P Surprise Rose and more importantly beefed-up hcb+K Tornado Kick as anti-air options. It is curious that they gave Reg.King dp+P AND hcb+K as anti-air options whereas Ex King gets none (she has to rely on, albeit an abusive one, Surprise DM). On a side note, I always thought it'd make more sense if Ex King got the dp+p seeing she has the DM counterpart...peesh.

Ex King's full screen projectiles do help to a certain degree, but it's not like she has the unblockable bug, and it's only Reg.King's B version Venom Strike that doesn't go full screen (it should be noted, that Reg.King's D version Venom strike technically isn't full screen--one pixel away, just like Mary's D version Straight Slicer).

Furthermore, King is arguably most effective half screen's distance anyway (which applies for 90% of the roster anyways).

I'll definitely admit that EX King's Double Strike DM is amazingly easy to combo, damaging and effective.

On the other hand, Reg.King can Q.Max into her Illusion Dance (qcf~hcb+k)DM. Silent Flash DM is prolly the least effective of the four DMs.

All DMs considered, I'll give it to Ex King due to abusable Surprise Rose and Double Strike's aforemention versatility.

Ex King's PS2 Challenge Mode combo however just takes the cake. The damage for a non-DM combo is disgusting (although Reg.King's non-DM corner combo does close to 50%--nothing to scoff at either).

In sum:
Tornado Kick and anti air options in general- Reg.King

Projectiles - Ex King

Combo ability and overall damage ability - Ex King

Better DMs - Ex King

Winner - Ex King but Reg.King isn't to be taken lightly either
Last edited by Kane317 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:11, edited 6 times in total.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 07:30

Well, EX King is supposed to play somewhat like the 94/95 King, hence her lack of real anti-air moves and the old-school Tornado Kick. Although I'd say a crouching C or standing A work decent enough in a pinch against non cross-up jump-ins until you have the stock to pull a Surprise Rose. Besides, she's easy to use as it is. Giving her a regular anti-air move is just cheesy.

I didn't really like using regular King from 96-98. Sure, her Tornado Kick is a decent anti-air , but can be air blocked if someone jumps vertically or backward. I also dislike the Venom and Double Strikes fizzling out, especially with the light versions at little over half-screen range. It practically means I can't toss a Strike without frame advantage. The Surprise Rose is more of an annoyance or combo move rather than as an anti-air the way the EX version's is. At least I've never really used the Surprise Rose as an anti-air, since opponent can just recovery roll if the descending kick doesn't connect, and that's really going to open me up to a lot of combos.

Both her DMs are a lot more usable now though, with the Silent Flash chaining from light attacks, and (B) Illusion Dance DM usable from combos while the D and SDM versions are invincible like in 2k onwards. The D Illusion Dance is still too slow to be used as a twitch move, but if you anticipate in advance (like Rugal or Krauser for example), then it is usable I suppose.

EX King's Quick MAX combo damage is disgusting alright. And it is practical enough if you omit the Tornado Kick and just pull a double Trap Shot. Then again, EX Robert's one is pretty disgusting as well, and just as easy to pull off.