[UM] Normal Kyo

Was it all just Shingo's dream?
PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35
[UM] Normal Kyo

Post by PenPen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 18:44

Basically unchanged except for the following.

Mu Shiki's damage output is lower.
Aragami seems slower, its followups seem to feel a little slower too.

Still a very good character to use and start with. Combos are all intact.

Frederick
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Frederick » Thu Apr 03, 2008 08:15

Mu Shiki still does a big chunk of damage like the old days to regular ppl from what I saw. even the battle um matches show someone eating big damage from it.

I did see the goenitz movie where the player does a Mu Shiki to him. However, I think the reason why people say it does less damage from the vid was because of the high defense/ratio 4 of the boss characters such as goenitz (or the last team before the final boss).

PenPen
MOAR
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders

Post by PenPen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 18:34

Q.Max combos. Time to practice your stick!

Jump C -> close C -> qcf+C -> ABC -> close C (not sure if close or far, I assume close) -> qcf+C -> hcb+P followup -> f+P/hcb+K (I think I read that right...hcb+K sounds rather impossible)

Corner:
Jump C -> close C -> qcf+C -> ABC -> close C -> qcf+D,D -> qcf+A -> qcf+A (not followup) -> qcf+P -> K or extend combo with SDM Orochinagi (2 hits) -> qcf+A etc

Crazy stuff.

Also my favorite corner combo of qcf+D,D -> qcf+A -> dp+C is back and both hits of dp+C connects. Think this may do more damage than a RED Kick. And it looks freaking weird too!

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Apr 17, 2008 19:03

Holy Shit. If this doesn't get people playing Extra-style meter, I don't know what will.

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Sun May 04, 2008 18:53

Yeah but it's freaking hard to connect, the qcf+C into close C. One thing though, you must leave the stick alone for this to work, or else you'll do his hcb+P followup for whatever reason.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Kane317 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:41

PenPen wrote:Q.Max combos. Time to practice your stick!

Jump C -> close C -> qcf+C -> ABC -> close C (not sure if close or far, I assume close) -> qcf+C -> hcb+P followup -> f+P/hcb+K (I think I read that right...hcb+K sounds rather impossible)
The timing for qcf+C, q.max, s.C (it is close btw), qcf+C, hcb+P, f+P is real tricky. I can get it 40% of the time in practice mode. Although our local arcade expert can get it off consistently and it takes off way too much on the receiving side.

Does anyone have tips for this? I suppose it's just vigorous practice. How are you meant to connect a hcb+K in the end instead of a f+P? If this was possible, why bother doing f+P coz hcb+K is far more damaging.

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Mon Jul 07, 2008 15:54

Kane317 wrote:

The timing for qcf+C, q.max, s.C (it is close btw), qcf+C, hcb+P, f+P is real tricky. I can get it 40% of the time in practice mode. Although our local arcade expert can get it off consistently and it takes off way too much on the receiving side.

Does anyone have tips for this? I suppose it's just vigorous practice. How are you meant to connect a hcb+K in the end instead of a f+P? If this was possible, why bother doing f+P coz hcb+K is far more damaging.
Think I better correct it, I think it means either the Dokugami chain or the hcb+K move. Just that somehow I write that Dokugami chain first.

And I can't connect it for once, actually.

Is it me or is his d.B -> close C gone unless you're doing a crossup?

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Mon Jul 07, 2008 17:00

the cr B, stand C is still here, but it seems that the timing is different than 98 (same for Saisyu's cr B, stand C combo)

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 00:53

PenPen wrote:
Kane317 wrote:

Think I better correct it, I think it means either the Dokugami chain or the hcb+K move. Just that somehow I write that Dokugami chain first.

And I can't connect it for once, actually.

Is it me or is his d.B -> close C gone unless you're doing a crossup?
Ah, that makes sense now. The only thing I can come up in terms of tips, is you have to Q.MAX the qcf+C as early as possible. I press s.C when the qcf+C frame is about to wear off (but still out). It's got a pretty stringent timing.

d.B, s.C on the other hand, seems a lot easier than before... course it has been 10 years and I've gotten better at that link since. =)

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Fri Jul 11, 2008 04:48

Jump D, Stand C, qcf D,D, qcfA (early and hit as high as possible), QMAX, qcfA, hcbA, A OR qcf A, Stand C, then do a high jump and let the mixups begin ala XI.

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 06:51

I don't have a PS2 but I got a simple combo in mind. Anyone want to try it out for me?

Crossover d+C -> close C -> df+D -> QMAX on last hit -> qcfx2+P

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun Jul 20, 2008 18:53

Tried it a few times and I can't get it connect. The df+D just doesn't recover fast enough even when Q.Maxed and the opponent gets pushed back too far for the Mu Shiki pillar to connect anyway.

Or it could just be me.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 20:31

AcidicEnema wrote:Tried it a few times and I can't get it connect. The df+D just doesn't recover fast enough even when Q.Maxed and the opponent gets pushed back too far for the Mu Shiki pillar to connect anyway.

Or it could just be me.
I tried it too, wouldn't connected...didn't try on a crossup but I still doubt it.

On another note, this youtube clip of some '08 SBO qualifying matches in Taiwan highlights the use of some QMAX combos and a couple aggressive QuickDodgeAttacks strings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYS2JiezVm8

Try to ignore the occasion comments in the foreground.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Sep 03, 2008 20:30

RECAP: Some tips and bits for Kyo (correct me pls)

You should have been watching enough videos by now to see what good Kyo players do. But perhaps you don't quite understand WHY it works.

Kyo depends on three things for successful offence:

1. Jump Dwn C
2. Crossing up with Jump Dwn C
3. Stand C

If you think the RED kick should be up there, that's only for lag abuse. In proper play, you can see it coming.

1. Obviously it smashes pretty much everything if not trade. Therefore most will block which gives you the advantage. However, any noob can jump and Dwn C, so how exactly do you get past the opponent's defence? --> 2.
2. You must master the correct distance and timing to crossup, otherwise you'll do a few hops and jumps and instead of scaring the opponent, actually leave yourself open. Unlike Chris, your crossup has to be precise but you can crossup from a varied distance, due to the timing of the jump Dwn C.
3. Anything moves, as long as it's not Saisyu's jump B, hit it with Stand C.

Why do players use B? To crossup or to fool the opp into thinking you're going for an empty hop low combo. Which of course you should do when opp starts blocking like mad. low B, low A, you know the rest.

And when the opp starts blocking, you should work towards breaking guard. After a few blocked jump Cs, you're either ready for crossing up or they're back against the corner. Now you have to keep prodding them or guage whether they're fast enough to block a low combo or a throw.

btw, while pounding, Running in gives you more space for more hits.

Hop Dwn C, Run in, *
Hop CD, Run in *

* C, QCF A...
* Low B, ...
* Low B (blocked) Run in low B, low A, Dwn Fwd D or QCF A...

The thing about Kyo's QCF A is that it stops your opp's hop crazy offence, not unlike Iori's hcb A, and that's how you should use it.

You may notice this pattern: pound the enemy back towards the corner, then simply wait. What are they going to do, jump and get DP'd? Roll? Put yourself in their shoes, when you're tired of blocking, what do you do?

A lot of opponents get used to Kyo's air range and prepare for it - so you should aim to use jump D from time to time, this works because they assume they're safely out of attack range of jump C/ Dwn C

Don't forget his C grab causes opponent to wake up in opposite direction, thus crossupable...

When you hit with Close Stand C that looks out of range for any combo, rely on hcb B, it always connects.

Did you know you can
-Jump Dwn C, Run, Stand C combo?

Most players follow QCF DD with a RED kick but have you tried
(in the corner)
- QCF A, Stand C, (Opponent Stands) Stand B (remember this hits low!), Low B...

after blocked QCF DD, Blocking opponents should always block another Stand C QCF DD but good players can DP you inbetween the QCF D D!

Defensive Kyo is just as bad (good)
Hop up directly D has plenty of range for those foolish enough to rush in
Stand B, Stand D keeps em grounded.
and qcb A counters a whole lot more pokes than you give it credit for!