KOF'98 Ultimate Match General Discussion

Was it all just Shingo's dream?
Nanashiro
Is it a bot?

Post by Nanashiro » Sat May 17, 2008 20:24

How do you get the 4 other colour edits? I tried CD and it seems to work. We need a need colour guide for KOF98UM.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat May 17, 2008 20:26

You get them by pressing AB, BC, CD or AD.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Kane317 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 14:37

Forgive me if this question has been asked before in the previous seventeen pages, but regarding Extra mode's ability to extend combos by either Q.Max into a combo versus Quick Dodge --> Dodge Attack into a combo, both taking one stock each. What are the pros and cons of both since they both take one stock. On one hand, Q.Maxing allows the consequent combo to be stronger via the extra damage in MAX mode in general and obviously allowing SDM options. On the other hand, Quick Dodge into Dodge attack adds an extra hit. Is Q.Maxing the obvious choice, why would anyone choose the Quick Dodge option?

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 16:45

Kane317 wrote:Forgive me if this question has been asked before in the previous seventeen pages, but regarding Extra mode's ability to extend combos by either Q.Max into a combo versus Quick Dodge --> Dodge Attack into a combo, both taking one stock each. What are the pros and cons of both since they both take one stock. On one hand, Q.Maxing allows the consequent combo to be stronger via the extra damage in MAX mode in general and obviously allowing SDM options. On the other hand, Quick Dodge into Dodge attack adds an extra hit. Is Q.Maxing the obvious choice, why would anyone choose the Quick Dodge option?
I haven't actually played the game yet, but from what I can tell, both are used differently. The Quick Dodge into a Dodge Attack going into MAX mode is more of a way to punish someone for whiffing an attack. It's really a case of risk verus reward, since you put yourself vulnerable from using a Dodge Attack, as most of them have the side effect of being either slow or short-ranged, not to mention you are breaking cover for an attack that has poor priority in general.

The Quick Max works more on an offensive situation: you Quick Max while making an attack, and you get to throw in a DM on top of it. The reason I say the Quick Max is more offensive based is because most of the time you either Q. Max from a combo, or if you hit someone with a command attack, since most of the moves that you can Q. Max are more offensive in nature. Take Terry or Kyo for example: I don't see anyone pulling a Power Charge or Dokugami in response to an opponent rushdown.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Mon Jun 02, 2008 18:49

Kane317 wrote:Forgive me if this question has been asked before in the previous seventeen pages, but regarding Extra mode's ability to extend combos by either Q.Max into a combo versus Quick Dodge --> Dodge Attack into a combo, both taking one stock each. What are the pros and cons of both since they both take one stock. On one hand, Q.Maxing allows the consequent combo to be stronger via the extra damage in MAX mode in general and obviously allowing SDM options. On the other hand, Quick Dodge into Dodge attack adds an extra hit. Is Q.Maxing the obvious choice, why would anyone choose the Quick Dodge option?
The main difference is that certain combos are only possible with Q.Dodge and some comboes are only possible with Q.Max.

For example- Vice can do f+A> Q.Dodge> Dodge attack> hcf+K. But I don't think she can combo if she q.maxes after a f+A. OTOH, Andy can do f+B> Q.Max> s.C, but I don't think he can even q.dodge after a f+B.

Note the use of the word "think" in both cases, because I haven't been able to confirm is the alternative is impossible, but I haven't seen it been done yet, nor has it appeared in any combo lists.

The other thing, is that if you Q.Dodge with a stock, in Extra mode, without having maxed out the stock yet, then the entire stock will be gone, and you can't follow up with a super (unless your life is red). If you've maxed out the stock, however, Q.Dodging will only take off a portion of your Max bar, and not the whole thing.

OTOH, Q.Maxing won't leave you with this problem, since after the Q.Max, you still have a full Max Bar to play around with. So with Leona, she can do something like s.D> f+B> Q.Max> j.D> DM/SDM, no problem. But if Heidern wants to do f+B (1 hit)> Q.Dodge> Dodge attack> Super, he must either have already maxed out, or have red life, or he won't be able to combo the super.

This ironically means that Q.Dodge appears to work better with Advanced mode meter...

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 04:22

Seems like I need to do a lot of experimenting.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 20:34

Is the confirmed PS2 release date June 27th?

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 07:20

I figured something weird about the AST mode

Normaly, in OST mode, against Ex Mai, you have her music from RBS/RB2. But in AST mode, I'm pretty sure I've heard Sokaku's arranged theme from RBS/RB2!! Is it a mistake???

Seija
Is it a bot?

Post by Seija » Thu Jul 10, 2008 21:09

Kind of late to the party, but...
The bosses are random, depending on your capacity.

Shingo -> '96 Yagami/USA/Oyaji Team -> Omega Rugal
Kasumi/Eiji (?) -> Boss Team -> Goenitz
Kasumi/Eiji (?) or ROTB Iori/Leona -> Orochi NFT -> Orochi
This is sort of false believe it or not. How so? If my memory serves me correctly, the layout is like this:

Prior to the fourth match

0-2 DMs connected - Shingo.

3-6 DMs connected - Kasumi or Eiji (random).

7+ DMs connected - Riot of the Blood Iori, Riot of the Blood Leona or Rugal.

Prior to the sixth match

0-2 DMs connected - Orochi Assassins/Yagami, Oyaji or [s]Foreigner[/s] American Sports team (random) and then Omega Rugal.

3-6 DMs connected - "1996's" Boss team and then Goenitz or that annoying "Koko desu ka?" person.

7+ DMs connected - Awakened New Face team and then Orochi.

On a side note, one big beef I have with this game is that it's shorter this time around.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Tue Jul 15, 2008 15:02

I think one of the funniest moments about playing UM for me is seeing the CPU Athena pulling that unblockable Psycho Ball bug on me, It was annoying, no doubt, but it was funny to see the AI actually using an exploit.

Seija
Is it a bot?

Post by Seija » Fri Jul 18, 2008 07:27

Anyone know what's the last special team image? Here are the ones I have.
Heidern/Ralf/Clark

Ryou/Robert/Takuma

Mai/Kasumi/King

Athena/Kasumi/Leona

Andy/Mai/Eiji

Iori/Eiji/Billy

Kasumi/Eiji/Big

Iori/Yamazaki/Yashiro (Uh...)

Yamazaki/Mature/Vice

Geese/Krauser/Big

Orochi/Goenitz/Rugal

Orochi/RotB Iori/RotB Leona

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 08:54

Think about characters with similar "hairstyle"... or similar "non-hair"style

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 14:33

Big, Chang and Choi.

Seija
Is it a bot?

Post by Seija » Sat Jul 19, 2008 07:33

Think about characters with similar "hairstyle"... or similar "non-hair"style
Big, Chang and Choi.
I am more disturbed than ever. Thanks anyway guys. --'

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun Aug 10, 2008 02:07

Here's a comparison of Run speeds (from fastest to slowest) compiled by Sytha at SRK.com. I haven't tested it for accuracy, but it looks about right to me.

Choi
Heidern
Mai/EX Mai
Andy/EX Andy/Leona/Yashiro/O. Yashiro/Iori
Kensou
Mary/EX Mary/Kim/Shermie/O. Shermie
Benimaru/Mature
Athena
Chizuru
Joe/EX Joe
Kyo/EX Kyo/Eiji
King/Robert/EX King/EX Robert