Was it all just Shingo's dream?
Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:13

hmm who else would it be? see if a proper faq comes up on gamefaqs. Heck, I might make one this time. If I do, mark my words, it WILL be glorious.

Frederick
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Frederick » Thu Apr 10, 2008 08:38

From my experience, if Shingo is the midboss your final boss usually will be o. frugal.

kasumi most of the time --> gaynuts

only had oroach as the last boss once and forgot who was the midboss

the last team before the final boss could be sports team, boss team, iori team, oldies team, or orochi team (if it's orochi team, then orochi is definitely going to be the final boss).

Mature
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Mature » Sat Apr 12, 2008 23:37

to be honest this game is looking awsome and only Japan is getting the online system whereas Europe and America dont. I think we should make a petition for snkplaymore allowing servers in Europe and America to register kof98 um so we can play not only with your mates but with people around the world.

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 06:59

Well that's for the PS2 version which supports MMBB. The arcade version has no online.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:38

Gunsmith wrote:hmm who else would it be? see if a proper faq comes up on gamefaqs. Heck, I might make one this time. If I do, mark my words, it WILL be glorious.
It's been awhile since I did a guide, and I would LOVE to do one for this game, because the availabilty of the 98 movelist means I don't have to do translation work. I'm quite busy though, so I can only start after next week at the soonest. The catch is, I haven't actually played this game yet, so it'll be more of an expanded KOF'98 guide with plenty of contributor information. Also, I'm also going to need permission to refer to the entries here. Once I'm free, I'll try looking around for the PS2 version and get cracking, but if I'm going to write this, I want to get the permission stuff out of the way first.

PenPen
MOAR
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders

Post by PenPen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 17:28

Is it me or are qcfx2 motions really hard to come out?

Seems that you need to roll them a little slower than you would in the old 98 and 2k2.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Apr 16, 2008 19:51

Tel wrote:
Gunsmith wrote:hmm who else would it be? see if a proper faq comes up on gamefaqs. Heck, I might make one this time. If I do, mark my words, it WILL be glorious.
It's been awhile since I did a guide, and I would LOVE to do one for this game, because the availabilty of the 98 movelist means I don't have to do translation work. I'm quite busy though, so I can only start after next week at the soonest. The catch is, I haven't actually played this game yet, so it'll be more of an expanded KOF'98 guide with plenty of contributor information. Also, I'm also going to need permission to refer to the entries here. Once I'm free, I'll try looking around for the PS2 version and get cracking, but if I'm going to write this, I want to get the permission stuff out of the way first.
Well ask them then! Ahh this reminds me of the good old days...

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 02:58

I'll ask the boards once I have a basic framework. I got full permission to use Chris MacDonald's works when I wrote the NGBC guide, so the GFAQs part is already covered. In the meantime, if anyone would be so kind, I could use the names for the new moves for the EX characters.

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 18:44

Also one thing I noticed is that it's really easy for the system to detect the repeat button special moves. Two presses of the button makes the move come out.

Had this problem when playing Larf when I wanted to do jump C then close C.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 06:26

OK, at the risk of sounding completely ignorant, is the PS2 version widely available, or do I have to get the import version from some online store?

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Sun Apr 20, 2008 06:51

The PS2 version isn't out yet. June is looking like the likely release window.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sun Apr 20, 2008 09:24

Damn, there isn't an arcade version I can see anywhere, so looks like I'm going to have to start with a 98 guide and work my way around. I'll be starting work on a guide this week, hopefully within Tuesday or so.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Sat Apr 26, 2008 01:52

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/press_rel ... hp?num=144

Japanese PS2 version hits on the 26th of June. Mark your calendars!

Features:
- playable boss characters (O.Iori, O.Leona, Goenitz, Orochi)
- Ability to switch between original/arrange system? (did they make even more changes for the PS2 version, or do they mean you can toggle the UM changes on and off?)
- the original KOF'98
- arranged soundtrack
- Demo recording
- Illustration gallery
- practice mode (lol)
- colour edit
- 3D versions of all the stages

...I could have sworn there was originally a challenge mode (much like XI's) planned...I guess it got dropped.

Yuki Yagami
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:a "trader" and a "messenger"
Currently Playing:...with someone's mind...

Post by Yuki Yagami » Thu May 08, 2008 06:08

Reposting this post from a character thread to prevent thread derailing.
Tel wrote:Sorry for hijacking the thread again, but...

So that means Orochi is the 'true' final boss of the game instead of Rugal this time huh? What's the sequence like now? 6 normal teams, the boss team, then the Riot characters, the Orochi NFT then Goenitz and Orochi?
No, The bosses are random, depending on your capacity.

Shingo -> '96 Yagami/USA/Oyaji Team -> Omega Rugal
Kasumi/Eiji (?) -> Boss Team -> Goenitz
Kasumi/Eiji (?) or ROTB Iori/Leona -> Orochi NFT -> Orochi

I dunno if you also battle the following CPU Teams or not: EX Japan Team (Japan Team with EX Kyo), EX Fatal Fury Team, EX '97 Team, EX AOF Team, Classic Women Team, Classic AOF Team, Classic Ikari Team, '95 Yagami Team, or '96 Women Team?

Sheba
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:ALL HAIL OPPAI!!!
Currently Playing:Civilization 5 , BlazBlue: Continuum Shift , Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Minecraft, Magicka
PSN:TigerBalmSniffer

Post by Sheba » Thu May 08, 2008 10:41

SonicTempest wrote:http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/press_rel ... hp?num=144

Japanese PS2 version hits on the 26th of June. Mark your calendars!

Features:
- playable boss characters (O.Iori, O.Leona, Goenitz, Orochi)
- Ability to switch between original/arrange system? (did they make even more changes for the PS2 version, or do they mean you can toggle the UM changes on and off?)
- the original KOF'98
- arranged soundtrack
- Demo recording
- Illustration gallery
- practice mode (lol)
- colour edit
- 3D versions of all the stages

...I could have sworn there was originally a challenge mode (much like XI's) planned...I guess it got dropped.
Time to recover my PStwo.