[Strat Thread] KOF '97 - Orochi Yashiro

All other KOFs. Gameplay discussion only.
Noisetank Crew
Charging...23%
Charging...23%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
[Strat Thread] KOF '97 - Orochi Yashiro

Post by Noisetank Crew » Wed Feb 21, 2007 07:29

Well i played kof 97 when i was a pre-teen and dont remember anything. Im more used to 98 orochi yashiro but 97 yashiro plays differently. Anyone have and strats/tips?? Also what tier is he in 97??

Seems that he doesnt have f+a in this KOF. Also is his standing D unblockable?

Vice Vecta
Almost there! ...74%
Almost there! ...74%

Post by Vice Vecta » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:53

Certainly the whole NFT back in '97 was completelly changed from the 98' onward versions we already know. O.Yahsiro is nto the exception.

yup, fA is non-existant.

fB, although is there, is not comboable, so you can't link it into anything.

Close D's attributes were more accurate of the looks of it: it hits low. It's not unblockable.

hcf P'S grab is not the '98's version at all. This is a comboable grab, with lots of damage, but doesn't let the character flying ready for an attack. So, was pretty much like hcb f P grab.

hcf x2 P DM has also the exact grab properties of hcb x2 P DM.

More to come soon.

Noisetank Crew
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Noisetank Crew » Wed Feb 21, 2007 17:31

Damn, im starting to think regular yashiro is more versitile. well looks like d+C is not an anti air in this game. In fact that is quite an ugly looking normal. Far C seems usless and is slower than 98. That sucks f+B doesnt combo. Does it hit overhead though?

s.A , s.B, s.D, j.D, j.CD and s.CD look like all good pokes

Vice Vecta
Almost there! ...74%
Almost there! ...74%

Post by Vice Vecta » Wed Feb 21, 2007 20:59

Noisetank Crew wrote:Damn, im starting to think regular yashiro is more versitile. well looks like d+C is not an anti air in this game. In fact that is quite an ugly looking normal. Far C seems usless and is slower than 98. That sucks f+B doesnt combo. Does it hit overhead though?

s.A , s.B, s.D, j.D, j.CD and s.CD look like all good pokes
Yup, Yashiro in general had some quite poor standards. However, as far C looked a bit slower, was linkeable from far, thus, you can link it to qcb A sometimes to catch the opponent of guard.

Nope, fB has no overhead properties.

With O. Yashiro you must rely mostly in pokes grabs and VERY simple combos like C or D into hcf P.

Remember to use qcb A alternativelly with some hops, fortunatelly in '97, the sprite looked a lot like his jump A, so it's easy to fool an opponent.

Noisetank Crew
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Noisetank Crew » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:35

Damn Orochi Yashiro in this one seems kind of bad lol. So regular Yashiro is better?

qcb+a seems very slow? looks like afterwards i only get s.D into throw/super or d+C into super.

Vice Vecta
Almost there! ...74%
Almost there! ...74%

Post by Vice Vecta » Thu Feb 22, 2007 13:43

Noisetank Crew wrote:Damn Orochi Yashiro in this one seems kind of bad lol. So regular Yashiro is better?

qcb+a seems very slow? looks like afterwards i only get s.D into throw/super or d+C into super.
I wouldn't say he's that bad. It's just that he plays too different from the '98/2002 version of him. His grabs and attacks are heavily damaging (specially if you break MAX mode). He must be played like a pure grappler a-la Clark.

Some B&B's:

- dA x3, A/B
- Jump C/D, C/D, fB
- Jump C/D, C/D, any of his grabs.
- Jump C/D, dA x2, any of his grabs.

Pressure tips. Abuse Jump D and jump CD for air2air. Alternate some hops with jump A, jump D, jump A, qcb A to grab them. Also, a bit unsafe but still works in people blocking a lot: dD (1 hit or whiffed) into qcb A.

Krendall
Is it a bot?

Post by Krendall » Sun Aug 03, 2008 06:31

I find that hcb A/C, C/D, hcf A/C is a lot easier to pull off in '97 than '98 (it's fairly easy again in '02).

Yashiro doesn't do much in the way of combos, but he does a shit-load of damage in single hits/throws to compensate. He also has an insane throw range (possibly the farthest in the game).

If someone is leaving themselves open while trying to stay out of throw range, don't be afraind to bust out with hcf B/D. The hopping grab works in these situations, too, but you have to use it sparingly (as was said earlier).

dD hits twice with the second hit reaching just a bit further than the first, so you might trick your opponent into letting their guard up when the first kick misses.

That's about all the advice I can give. I haven't had much experience against other people yet, so I can only help so much.