Regulation A PS2 first impressions

zomg it's THREE D!
Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.
Regulation A PS2 first impressions

Post by Iie-Kyo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 07:28

Here's what I've seen from the first 30 minutes of playing.

* The system counter/reversal thing that was spammable in MI2 is no longer spammable. If you fuck up the counter, you're put into a Counter Hit state, which means you'll take in more damage if you're sloppy with the timing. This is good.

* General gameplay is slowed down. It's still fairly fast, but it doesn't run at crackspeed like MI2 does.

* Rolls don't suck as badly. You can actually play some mindgames with the forward roll now because it has extra invincibility frames you can use to dodge stuff.

* TWO BUTTON THROWS, use AC or BD to throw.

I only played Kyo Classic - I've noticed they reanimated some of his moves to look a bit different from Kyo Kusanagi.

Kyo C's f + B Stylish Art chain has been reanimated to use a lot of Kyo-1's old moves, starts with Kyo-1's f + B, then a roundhouse kick, then ends with Kyo-1's old qcb + P.

Did they manage to get Falcon to keep his grubby hands off the game so that some GAMEPLAY DESIGNERS could actually tweak this game for tournament play? Maybe!

Everyone else, please post your first impressions here.

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Thu Jul 26, 2007 09:09

My first impressions from playing the game:

I tried to play this like it was KOF XI. I got WTFPWNED by the AI. T_T

General reception by the Japanese arcade scene seems to be a lukewarm one. There are enough curious peeps who drop in their obligatory 100yen, but I've yet to see anything like epic 30 win streaks that suggest people actually think this is going to be staying around for a while.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Thu Jul 26, 2007 16:39

Iie-Kyo: Someone at the S-C forums claims that the game isn't any slower and the sabaki is unchanged too. Are you sure about this?

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Fri Jul 27, 2007 17:38

Just as a note, the timer value can change drastically, basically arcades here all have different settings and such. I'm not sure but thus far there's a difficulty setting and a timer setting, where one of the arcades is so kind to give you 30 counts to finish up a round.

So yeah, in the back there's probably more settings that we don't even know.

Bugle/Hawk'M
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:When life gives you lemons, make Kaiser Waves
Currently Playing:some games
XBL:BugleHawkeM
PSN:BugleHawkeM

Post by Bugle/Hawk'M » Fri Jul 27, 2007 18:11

I messed around with the new characters in training mode. Ash and the fighters history guy seemed to turn out alright, but Blue Mary seemed off. Xiao Lon is just overdone, overly ridiculous with the blades and stuff.

Fuu
hunted by pedo police
Currently Playing:by ear
PSN:OswaldK9o

Post by Fuu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 13:36

please tell me you can make the speaker shut up.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:55

SRK thread, located here:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=134836

Seems to confirm a lot of the stuff mentioned here already - in addition they made sweeps tech rollable at last.

Persona
last rank
last rank
A.K.A.:BANNED
Currently Playing:BANNED

Post by Persona » Mon Aug 06, 2007 16:35

This game is pretty good so far!

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Fri Aug 24, 2007 16:27

Fuu wrote:please tell me you can make the speaker shut up.

unfortunately, no. he is the sole reason that's making me think twice about learning the game

"that's gonna leave a bruise!"
"oooh, a counter hit!"

i mean, seriously -_-

superDioplus
I'm not a bot! :3
I'm not a bot! :3
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by superDioplus » Sun Aug 26, 2007 00:47

I dont know why they throw in 2 tracks from Sengoku Densho 3 into this game's soundtrack. =/ :|

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Aug 29, 2007 13:27

eh? where's the story mode? oh it's an arcade port? so it's just for fighting? No unlockables? Er.... with no boss to reach it feels a bit pointless... but with all the modifications and balanced out gameplay I guess it's great for versus, if you have friends =/

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Wed Aug 29, 2007 16:05

...we have friends? :|

The reception here is okay, I played the game myself and I have zero idea on what is happening. Yay.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 23:45

Comparisons between MI2 and MI 2 ReA:

* No Story Mode, just Time Attack
* 4 basic costume colors, two costumes each character, 8 total for one character
* No Survival Mode.
* No "Mission" Mode.
* Very basic profiles
* No Extra Mission Mode
* Fewer tracks
* Practice Mode is still available, but keeping this mode makes sense.

Basically they trimmed out all the "crap" that people who don't like playing competitively would be interested in and just kept the core game. It's basically a DIRECT arcade port, nothing more, nothing less. If you want content, play MI2.

The HUGE amounts of slowdown that was in MI2 has been generally fixed. Only REALLY polygon-intensive attacks, such as Kula's Max Diamond Edge (QCF x 2 + C) cause lag, which is a step up from before, where anything that had a remote amount of flash could cause lag. Characters are rendered a bit crisper, and the character portraits have been done.

TONS of voice resampling for many characters. Lien yells like a bitch in heat. K' says two new things when he taunts. He says three different things when he does the blackout. Kyo says something even if he whiffs the Kototsuki followup to his Aragami (QCF + A). Looks like they really put a lot of energy into making this "arcade polished".

Oh yeah, Kyo got nerfed (but is still fucking overpowered), but I'll discuss it in his thread.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Thu Sep 06, 2007 17:28

Apparently the mook and the OST are available now.

Gave this game a try - it feels slightly different from MI2, and they did fix some of the issues I had with the former game, so I think I'll keep playing it for now.
Oh, and the throw commands aren't just two button(AC or BD)...you need to press f/b+AC or f/b+BD.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 13:49

Regulation A is the first MI game I laid my hands into, and I suppose considering I've never played the previous games, it's not that hard to learn after a long stint of being away from KOF. But dear God, I really hate the damn wall bounces and OTGs. Playing in the arcade, I was holding my own, then faced a Duke player who had a field day cornering me mixing high and low stylish combos and making me eat 2 DMs at a time every time I got knocked down. It's really disgusting to see 50% of your life gone because you can't even get up and he's nicely OTGing or repeatedly juggling you. Which means the characters with DMs that can easily hit floored characters like Alba, Duke and Ninon are pretty popular with the arcade players.