Core/System changes talk

zomg it's THREE D!
Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Core/System changes talk

Post by Shirakani » Wed Apr 26, 2006 13:27

Ok, couldn't find a thread so i'm starting one for 'base' talk, not char specific.

It seems to me, after having played it now, that the biggest (and arguably best) change is the fact that now reliance on the stylish arts is totally gone. I initially thought that they'd have increased input timing on the stylishes to allow 2d style faking out, but that's not the case.

Best change in this game is they've taken heed to all the 2d fans saying make it play more 2d, and most of the old 'classic' 2d style moves work now. I remember in MI 1, you couldn't cancel off a single stand C or what not. Well now you can. It may seem like a tiny change but it's HUGE in terms of how the game 'feels'.

A 2d KOF player like me, if i get hammered into a corner in this game, first thing i automatically/instinctively revert to is shit that worked in the 2d games. That didn't work in MI1. It somewhat DOES work in MI2.

Anyone noticed any other core changes?

-Defuser-
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%

Post by -Defuser- » Wed Apr 26, 2006 14:25

How is the ground attacks in MI2? I remember MI was like hated because of Ground Whoring..

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Wed Apr 26, 2006 14:37

As in being hit on the ground? It's more or less the same but now you can recover a lot easier. If you're fool enuf to STAY in one place then yeh, get hit, you're asking for it.

Personally i haven't noticed too many changes here. I for one like it coz of the diff combos it opens up. Ppl who hate it are still going to hate it.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Apr 26, 2006 22:28

How do you do that parry thing, and more importantly, is it useful at all? From the videos I've seen it doesn't seem to give you any frame advantage at all.

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Thu Apr 27, 2006 09:29

there is a button to parry, i haven't use it that much so i dont know if it gives frame advantage but the comp whore it!!

-Defuser-
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%

Post by -Defuser- » Thu Apr 27, 2006 13:58

There is a counter button for you to counter if im right..

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Thu Apr 27, 2006 17:16

The parry gives you Iori's Kuzukaze (KOF97) time to get a free shot in...so...yah. You also don't need to specifically stand to block standing and crouch to block crouching. So long as the attack touches the parrying hands, it will parry.

It parries anything that isn't a projectile and DM.

Another thing with the system that makes this game good, i'd say this is the 2nd most important thing.

Jumps have been fixed.

Now, the jumps work more like in 2d, and jump attacks are more or less the same as well, meaning jump in attacks are very useful to do. Jump ins into standing combos also work well, also adding to the increased 2d playstyle now allowed.

The only thing i dislike is the input timing for the stylish chains, at least the weak button ones. Overall? massive improvement.

I love kula
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by I love kula » Thu Apr 27, 2006 17:41

im really excited to play this game, i had fun playing the first one. with the things that they added to the system i am really looking forward to playing it.

s_y
Charging...76%
Charging...76%
PSN:bonta76

Post by s_y » Thu Apr 27, 2006 22:04

Shirakani wrote:
The only thing i dislike is the input timing for the stylish chains, at least the weak button ones.
Agreed,you have to mash to get 2 A's out sometimes,almost as bad as LP RP taps in Tekken.

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Fri Apr 28, 2006 02:26

The only stylish chains worth using as a regular b&b anyway are ones that start w/ C. Every char that i can think of has at least one C C C or equivalent chain.

Therefore, after a parry, for example like shown in one of the official vids...Ryo parries Yuri, then does b+C C C C.

The A/B starting ones are good to get off but you need to somewhat plan ahead, that's what annoys me. Going from A immediately to C tho is fine, no trouble at all there esp if the A like df+A C C for Kyo actually does a command attack.

With the fixed jumps now, jumping C/D into a stand/crouch C or basic stylish is a valid viable attack method now, recommended too...just remember your opponent can parry your jump in as well...

The timing for the parry is EXACTLY the same as you would Just Defend or Parry in SF3, so just tap the button exactly at that time. I have it set to R1. You do not need to stand to block air attacks, etc. The hands just need to touch the attacking limb.

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Sat Apr 29, 2006 01:46

So far I disagree with the "fixed" jump-ins. Feels as crappy as it did in MI1. I dont think they changed much there. At least not for Iori and ChaeLim which I played the most so far....

Apropos jumps:
- You cannot jump behind someone now who's standing at the wall.
- Some weird cross-up-looking jump-ins still occur but far less often than in MI1

Most S.Arts still feel the same, thus very crappy! For some of them the inputs are still ridiculously hard.

Is it correct that now only 2 Wall-Hits are possible anymore? I think after the third one the fighter automatically rolls away.

Notation-wise should we really go for the old NeoGeo style button descriptions "A B C D"?
I guess for the console-only games (most specifically Maximum Impact 1/2) I think using A B C D is not so appropriate. What do you think?

--Blast

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sat Apr 29, 2006 23:54

I disagree with you Blasterzz. This game does indeed feel fixed, and being able to play it like a 2.5D KoF is a godsend. MI1 "felt" way too off for it to feel KoFish. Stylish Art string inputs are just as tricky as it was in MI1 - get the timing wrong for some of them and they won't combo, while others won't even come out (try Hanzou's one that involves using a teleport).

Input and movement in this game feels "right". I still have a LOT of my input eaten (very hard to get up with a SRK - characters without an SRK in this game get fucked in the corner). But it's not as bad as it was in MI1.

And yeah, wallfucking is not as bad now. You're only allowed a two or three wallbounces before the opponent doesn't "bounce" off the wall anymore. I dislike wallbounces myself - I know it's a common 3D game thing, but I think like a 2D gamer dammit!

And I suggest sticking to ABCD - using the LP/LK notation requires twice as much typing, and I wished that the Command Lists in MI1 and 2 used the only Neo-Geo style notation...

Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%

Post by Shirakani » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:50

Stylish arts input are slightly fixed for the heavy start ones. Any that start w/ C or D have forgivable timing, and due to the fact you can single cancel off a stand or crouch C, it's a good thing.

The ones that start w/ a jabby A or B usually aren't worth using. Only the ones that start w/ a command attack A or B are good.

Exception are any crouching chains, they work similar to the tappy poke chains due to the cancellabilty after the 2nd hit.

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 14:47

In Practice Mode in Practice Menu under "Spring" what do the Quick Roll Options mean? I'm not sure if I get it. Fallbreaker is the usual AB-Fall Recovery from 2D KoF. What is meant bei Quick Roll?

--Blast