The Suckening...

For everything the stupid room can't provide! And Freud!
Branger
More power! ...18%
More power! ...18%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Currently Playing:Too much, or not enough?
XBL:BurningRanger23
PSN:BurningRanger23
The Suckening...

Post by Branger » Mon Mar 21, 2011 04:05

I decided to break away from playing MvC3 and Dead Space for a while and retreat to some old school Street Fighter action on the PS2. I first went to Hyper SF2...and much to my own shock, I found that I played horribly. While I can easily perform well on MvC3, SSF4, KOF and even Third Strike, I just could not perform on Hyper SF2. I couldn't land many hits. CPU was taking a thrashing on me. U couldn't get past 3 opponents!

In a fit of rage, I ended up switching to SFAlpha3 (the Arcade version on the SFA Anthology). There, I did somewhat better, but nowhere as good as I did on more modern games. I wondered if it was because I hate this game (I prefer SFAlpha2 personally).

But then I started to wonder. I'll admit that I was never an expert at fighting games, but I'd like to think that I was at least decent with old school fighters. Has playing new generation stuff spoiled me? On a related question: has KOF spoiled me to Street Fighter (if so, then why can I perform in SFIV?).

I also haven't been playing fighters with as much frequently, with my time split between non-fighting games and non-gaming endeavors. Perhaps I'm out of practice?

In any case, has anyone else experienced this? Is anyone else experiencing this now??? (Also going to post this on MMCafe...)

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Re: The Suckening...

Post by SonicTempest » Mon Mar 21, 2011 04:46

I will say that playing BlazBlue has ruined my Guilty Gear XX skills. The latter game is a lot more demanding in terms of speed, input complexity etc.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Mon Mar 21, 2011 05:25

It.... depends.

There is this point that "as a person" I have changed from 94' or something (since I'm not that much into games my reflex are slower, less aware of some things, etc); there is also this fact that since fighting games nowdays are so lax that when older games get too tough it's hard to respond; for example now I have "problems" mustering enough patience in games like AoF 2 in order to take advantage of the AI exploits and get used to the sloppiness of the engine.

The other day I got my ass handed over to me trying to clear Operation Ragnargard and Breakers Revenge, games that I could easily clear back in the day. Right now I'm suffering against Wild Ambition, another game that I could breeze over without realizing it.... The problem is that "what I do" is pretty much "the same", I still remember the old tricks, the issue is that since I'm "less aware" of the universe of the own games my characters are much less sharp when it comes to fighting and thus is harder to create and take advantage of opportunities, that results in me getting pressured and then getting killed :P

hebretto
Neomaxxing
A.K.A.:Free HUGS!!!
Currently Playing:2D fighting games
XBL:hebretto

Post by hebretto » Mon Mar 21, 2011 06:01

I'm just throwing it out there ... HSF (and ST) had the hardest AI (even on easiest 1 star difficulty) so you shouldn't be too concerned.

Games nowadays have to be easier so as to appeal to the casual market ... oh bro I did 50 supers I get some achievement points epeen grows by another inch lololololol. If a game is too hard people won't recommend others to play it ... so the developers have to dumb shit down so everyone be it 8 year old boy that just got his first console ... or seasoned gamer who has one of every console since 19xx can all enjoy it.

They did this to sf4 and mvc3 ... 3D fighting games were always like this anyways just mash buttons to win hahahaha (I kid I kid)

Branger
More power! ...18%
More power! ...18%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Currently Playing:Too much, or not enough?
XBL:BurningRanger23
PSN:BurningRanger23

Post by Branger » Tue Mar 22, 2011 01:24

I spent some time today with SFA2 today and had a more pleasant experience than when I played Alpha 3...that is, until I fought the final boss (I was Sagat, boss Ryu). I felt like I kept getting owned by an AI I should have easily beaten. I also felt a sharp difference in control... Alpha 3 (and Hyper SF2) felt like it required extremely precise inputs, while SFA2 (and SSFIV, MvC3 and other current gen fighters) was more forgiving with inputs. Another sign of being spoiled?

The Master
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:For Great JUSTICE!
Currently Playing:KOF 13, Tekken 6
XBL:Vlad Draulea
PSN:NYCYakuzaKyo

Post by The Master » Tue Mar 22, 2011 03:55

Branger wrote:I spent some time today with SFA2 today and had a more pleasant experience than when I played Alpha 3...that is, until I fought the final boss (I was Sagat, boss Ryu). I felt like I kept getting owned by an AI I should have easily beaten. I also felt a sharp difference in control... Alpha 3 (and Hyper SF2) felt like it required extremely precise inputs, while SFA2 (and SSFIV, MvC3 and other current gen fighters) was more forgiving with inputs. Another sign of being spoiled?

alot of older games like ST, older kof games etc tend to drop one out of every three inputs, making things harder to do. newer games dont do that because the tech is better .

Apathy Wind
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:PS3 Crap Shoot
Currently Playing:no whammies, no whammies...

Post by Apathy Wind » Tue Mar 22, 2011 23:39

I find that I've lost interest in fighters - or at least interest in playing them enough to learn the systems, combos, tricks etc. Yet I still have an objective interest in the games - it's frustrating; like having an itch you can't scratch or something

r3v3n4nT
Cancel Combo Mode
A.K.A.:YOUR DAD.
Currently Playing:YOUR ASS.

Post by r3v3n4nT » Thu Mar 24, 2011 08:14

I just wish I have more people to play against, had about two local guys I played KOF2k2 with on regular basis through GGPO, but man did that get old after a few months.