Almost Intensity 9 Quake Hits Japan

For everything the stupid room can't provide! And Freud!
Yuki Yagami
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:a "trader" and a "messenger"
Currently Playing:...with someone's mind...
Almost Intensity 9 Quake Hits Japan

Post by Yuki Yagami » Fri Mar 11, 2011 08:56

Just heard it for today. Japan was battered by a series of earthquakes today (highest intensity recorded is at 8.9. Now there is a possibility of a tsunami warning now.
TOKYO - A massive 8.9 magnitude quake hit northeast Japan on Friday, causing many injuries, fires and a four-metre (13-ft) tsunami along parts of the country's coastline, NHK television and witnesses reported.

There were several strong aftershocks and a warning of a 10-metre tsunami following the quake, which also caused buildings to shake violently in the capital Tokyo.

TV pictures showed a vast wall of water carrying buildings and debris across a large swathe of coastal farmland.

Public broadcaster NHK showed flames and black smoke billowing from a building in Odaiba, a Tokyo suburb, and bullet trains to the north of the country were halted.

Black smoke was also pouring out of an industrial area in Yokohama's Isogo area. TV footage showed boats, cars and trucks floating in water after a small tsunami hit the town of Kamaichi in northern Japan. An overpass, location unknown, appeared to have collapsed into the water.

Kyodo news agency said there were reports of fires in the city of Sendai in the northeast.

"The building shook for what seemed a long time and many people in the newsroom grabbed their helmets and some got under their desks," Reuters correspondent Linda Sieg said in Tokyo.

"It was probably the worst I have felt since I came to Japan more than 20 years ago."

Passengers on a subway line in Tokyo screamed and grabbed other passengers' hands. The shaking was so bad it was hard to stand, said Reuters reporter Mariko Katsumura.

Hundreds of office workers and shoppers spilled into Hitotsugi street, a shopping street in Akasaka in downtown Tokyo.

Household goods ranging from toilet paper to clingfilm were flung into the street from outdoor shelves in front of a drugstore.

Crowds gathered in front of televisions in a shop next to the drugstore for details. After the shaking from the first quake subsided, crowds were watching and pointing to construction cranes on an office building up the street with voices saying, "They're still shaking!", "Are they going to fall?"

Asagi Machida, 27, a web designer in Tokyo, sprinted from a coffee shop when the quake hit.

"The images from the New Zealand earthquake are still fresh in my mind so I was really scared. I couldn't believe such a big earthquake was happening in Tokyo."

The U.S. Geological Survey earlier verified a magnitude of 7.9 at a depth of 15.1 miles and located the quake 81 miles east of Sendai, on the main island of Honshu. It later upgraded it to 8.8.

A police car drove down Hitotsugi Street, lights flashing, announcing through a bullhorn that there was still a danger of shaking.

The Tokyo stock market extended its losses after the quake was announced. The central bank said it would do everything to ensure financial stability.

Japan's northeast Pacific coast, called Sanriku, has suffered from quakes and tsunamis in the past and a 7.2 quake struck on Wednesday. In 1933, a magnitude 8.1 quake in the area killed more than 3,000 people. Last year fishing facilities were damaged after by a tsunami caused by a strong tremor in Chile.

Earthquakes are common in Japan, one of the world's most seismically active areas. The country accounts for about 20 percent of the world's earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater. - Reuters
If there are people there in Japan, I hope most of you people are OK.

Painful in Hindsight moment...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4HI4WlyIE4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Re: Almost Intensity 9 Quake Hits Japan

Post by Foxhole » Fri Mar 11, 2011 09:04

The BBC says it hit 200 miles off the coast of the Kanto region so they're not getting the brunt of it, but they're getting owned by tsunami's. You can watch a live stream of the destruction on CNN if that's your bag.

BP
hunted by pedo police
A.K.A.:Leader of the Yoruzuya Dan
Currently Playing:Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, KoF XIII

Post by BP » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:34

Watching the live streams and man this is pretty horrifying. Hope everyone from ON Japan is doing fine, amongst everyone else.

Apparently there's been tsunami warnings in some parts of the US, including Hawaii. Stay safe, s_y/IK. =(

Zamora
Powering up...89%
Powering up...89%
A.K.A.:Zamo
Currently Playing:MGO, PES 2011, KOF XII(hella rusty)
PSN:acesamora

Post by Zamora » Fri Mar 11, 2011 17:00

Oregon is getting hit, and parts of Central America are expecting to get hit during the afternoon, no word yet on cali.....we're under alert though

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Mar 11, 2011 18:02

Gonna call on the Prof now to see what's up

Crazy videos... crazy.

Might have to call off my visit in a few weeks. Yikes.

But nevermind that, hope PS and our friends in Japan* are safe.

*+ any other nice people in Japan.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Mar 11, 2011 18:25

PS doesn't live in Japan anymore so he's fine lol.

Tokyo wasn't that near the epicentre - I think most of the damage was concentrated in the northeast area around Sendai.

Edgey
One stock!
One stock!
A.K.A.:Testaminty Fresh
Currently Playing:Chrono Trigger.... AGAIN
PSN:edgey_berzerker

Post by Edgey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 20:41

I watched some of the videos on Al jeezera.
Some of my friends are still waiting for responses from people they know who live in the area.

Gojira
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:Twit
Currently Playing:Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, WWE 2k16
XBL:Gojiraaa
PSN:Gojira_X

Post by Gojira » Fri Mar 11, 2011 22:33

Heard about it last night. Professor's okay, at least. He's been posting all night/day.

300+ confirmed dead in the Sendai area, many more still missing so it's expected to rise. Aftershocks have been continuing to keep people awake at night, and even with all the earthquake reinforcements already set up around Japan, things are still pretty unstable. This is some saddening stuff. If you've confirmed anyone in the area to be alive and well, please add their names to the person finder.

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Post by Foxhole » Fri Mar 11, 2011 23:45

Man, it was at 200 this morning, can't believe it hit 300 now. It's funny how the Pacific North West of North America was expecting a HUGE earthquake between Mar 7-18. I guess there goes another on the ring of fire.

IsshunSengeki
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%
A.K.A.:#HAMLORD
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, BlazBlue Chronophantasma
PSN:IsshunSengeki

Post by IsshunSengeki » Sun Mar 13, 2011 00:45

Damn. I have a friend from school who just went back to Japan. I don't know where she lives, but I nevertheless hope she's okay. I've already confirmed that my friends in Osaka are fine, but I don't think the quake/tsunami hit there?

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Sun Mar 13, 2011 06:37

Some of the news are really shocking, at least the few people I know are as fine and dandy as they can possibly be on an alert situation. Now there is only this thing with the nuclear plant.

By my side, my town got virtually frozen by the Tsunami alert. Everything was closed and the streets were deserted, the whole deal went on for something something like 24hrs, it felt like a zombie movie without the in yards spilled. Considering that a Tsunami swallowed up a town on the last big quake, the higher ups were handling this quite seriously.

IsshunSengeki
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by IsshunSengeki » Mon Mar 14, 2011 06:56

Well, a relative of a friend of mine has gone missing. I really do hope that they're found alive.
As for the nuclear reactor, my hopes that it will be able to get cooled down before anything catastrophic happens go out as well.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Mon Mar 14, 2011 08:43

Something a friend of mine posted on Twitter that I think puts the nuclear worries in perspective:
http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/ ... -reactors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IsshunSengeki
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by IsshunSengeki » Tue Mar 15, 2011 13:38

That's a relief. I think it was already confirmed that worst case scenario, any meltdowns would be small compared to Chernobyl, seeing as they were completely prepared for such an event.
Anyway, here are the confirmed details for my friends:
One friend has a missing relative - no word just yet. Immediate family is all fine.
Second friend's immediate family is fine, but no word on her friends.
The one who recently moved back to Japan is fine, but her house was destroyed.

Here are my hopes, guys.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Wed Mar 16, 2011 00:14

So, the last things I heard were :

Radioactive snow spotted.
A plane got mixed up with radioactivity.
New fire
Wakamoto leading up some rescue ~ assist group (he has police training)
Ultra Seven Riding a Tsunami.

Several online games got their services cut off for a short period of time (Metal Gear Online, FF XI, FF XIV). While I do understand the taste of that choice I don't actually understand the reasons, I mean; it is a form of contacting people and asking how things are going... Are they going to dedicate resources into something else? give holidays to the staff and have them contact their families? dunno.

When I heard the rough estimate on video game industry looses by the Quake ~ Tsunami, I shred manly "Julia is dead" tears :P

Godspeed to the rescue teams, it would be nice to things to calm down from now on without more alert signs popping up.