Mortal Kombat 2011 Banned in Australia

For everything the stupid room can't provide! And Freud!
IsshunSengeki
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%
A.K.A.:#HAMLORD
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, BlazBlue Chronophantasma
PSN:IsshunSengeki
Mortal Kombat 2011 Banned in Australia

Post by IsshunSengeki » Sat Feb 26, 2011 13:39

http://www.trmk.org/news/15183/australi ... _2011.html
According to IGN Australia, the Australian Classification Board, the equivalent of the ESRB in the United States, will decide to refuse classification for Mortal Kombat (2011). One of IGN's sources stated they received an e-mail stating that the game will "not be released in Australia. The e-mail added that the decision might be overturned in the future, but these steps were currently necessary."
Since the end of last year, there have been three games that I have been hyped about. In order, they are:
1. King of Fighters XIII
2. Marvel vs Capcom 3
3. Mortal Kombat 2011
Apparently, I can't fulfil want number three, because the Office of Film and Literature Classification deems it 'unsuitable for viewing by minors'. This is just further proof that Australia should get with the times and instate an R18+ classification for video games. The lack of an adult video game rating is ridiculous, as it allows adults to be treated like children, and children to be treated like adults.
Here's what WBIE has to say on the matter:
WBIE would not market mature content where it is not appropriate for the audience. We understand that not all content is for every audience, but there is an audience for mature gaming content and it would make more sense to have the R18+ classification in Australia. As a member of the iGEA, WBIE is reviewing all options available at this time.
And another from Ron Curry, CEO of the Interactive Games & Entertainment Association:
It is the industry position that an adult classification sends a clear message to the public that the content is not suitable for minors and is the most effective means of guiding access to mature content. Refusing classification of titles that meet adult rating criteria in every other Western country in our digital age is ineffective and naïve.
The game itself seems to be very highly anticipated. Refusing the game classification will result in even greater popularity generation ('Woah, this game's been banned in a whole CONTINENT? It must be pretty good!), which, in Australia, can lead to either the importation or piracy of the game, which is encouraging those who really want the game to commit a crime in order to perpetuate access to illegal content. All of that continues to prove the notion of 'resistance is futile'.

From what I have gathered from the government web page for the OFLC, the only time classifications are enforced on video games is when they are in stores. At home, they are simply recommendations - information provided to consumers pertaining to the content contained in the media they may be purchasing. By deeming the game as 'unfit for viewing by minors', that is making a decision for every parent in Australia. However, making those decisions should be left to the parents, because that is one of the biggest parts of being a parent - making decisions that will benefit your children. I know for a fact that most Australian parents are far from lazy, so why is the government treating them like retarded, lazy rednecks? Are we no longer able to think for ourselves? What the government needs to understand is that over-policing the country in a manner such as this creates more problems than it resolves. They do not need to think for us.

I'm going to be writing an essay on why Australia should have an R18+ rating for video games, and I will be sending it to newspapers, news programmes, my local MP and likely publishing it on the internet. If you guys have any input, then it is appreciated. I want to show how much the Australian (and international) public supports the idea of having an adult rating for their video games, so that as gamers, they may finally be treated as adults.

/end rant

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Re: Mortal Kombat 2011 Banned in Australia

Post by Foxhole » Sat Feb 26, 2011 17:58

Can't you just import it?

IsshunSengeki
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by IsshunSengeki » Sun Feb 27, 2011 01:37

Well, the rant was more about why Australia should have an R18+ rating for video games.
I am going to import it, but I'm going to feel as though I'm missing on a lot, considering that, from what I've heard, the game is going to have a fair amount of DLC.

Foxhole
DESU!

Post by Foxhole » Sun Feb 27, 2011 03:11

Import a PSN card and make a US PSN account? D:

IsshunSengeki
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by IsshunSengeki » Sun Feb 27, 2011 03:56

I'm on Xbox 360.

Foxhole
DESU!

Post by Foxhole » Sun Feb 27, 2011 04:07

I am out of ideas. :(

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Sun Feb 27, 2011 07:54

The game prob going to turn out crap anyways....Its mk ffs, since when has it ever been good or competitive more then a few months?

Fuu
hunted by pedo police
Currently Playing:by ear
PSN:OswaldK9o

Post by Fuu » Sun Feb 27, 2011 09:58

IsshunSengeki wrote: I'm going to be writing an essay on why Australia should have an R18+ rating for video games, and I will be sending it to newspapers, news programmes, my local MP and likely publishing it on the internet. If you guys have any input, then it is appreciated. I want to show how much the Australian (and international) public supports the idea of having an adult rating for their video games, so that as gamers, they may finally be treated as adults.

/end rant
Good luck with that, but really: in these kind of situations the legislators don't know even remotely what they're talking about, and it's just a matter of "damn those kids and their rock'n'roll, get offa my lawn!". No amount of explanation will even just reach their ears because they don't have any intention to listen at all. They are old and scared of everything that isn't. The only thing you should push are economical arguments, because they understand money pretty well!

Was God of War 3 banned in Australia btw? It's way more violent that any MK i've ever seen and dead serious about it.

Gojira
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:Twit
Currently Playing:Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, WWE 2k16
XBL:Gojiraaa
PSN:Gojira_X

Post by Gojira » Sun Feb 27, 2011 14:04

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For an outsider's reference.

Look on the bright side, at least you don't live in Venezuela.

IsshunSengeki
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by IsshunSengeki » Mon Feb 28, 2011 09:32

Fuu wrote:Was God of War 3 banned in Australia btw? It's way more violent that any MK i've ever seen and dead serious about it.
As far as I know, Australia has GoW3. That's an enormous inconsistency.
Dark_Chaotix wrote:The game prob going to turn out crap anyways....Its mk ffs, since when has it ever been good or competitive more then a few months?
Part of the reason why I liked MK was because it was so tongue-in-cheek. They weren't all like "Hey guys, let's make a really technical and competitive fighting game!", they were really just like, "Hey, let's make a really un-serious game with copious amounts of blood and gore because Street Fighter and Fatal Fury haven't got that!"
Gojira wrote:Look on the bright side, at least you don't live in Venezuela.
Oh dear. Well, it doesn't really matter - people from Venezuela would have horrible ping on Black Ops anyway. :3