How many people here still play KOF?

Chat about whatever
Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:31

Having played both NGBC and XI, I'll agree with anyone who thinks this isn't SNKP's best effort. NGBC was actually pretty OK, but it's just ridiculous how they could still have overlapping commands after KOF2000 and SVC. But for most of the time, NGBC didn't feel lazy, although I keep getting the feeling SNKP could've done better.

XI is another story altogether. Considering they had over a year to make this, I was expecting better gameplay balance than this. I expected Duo Lon, Malin and Benimaru to be toned down, but Malin is so drastically toned down that she's a liability for anyone who gets her in random matches. SNKP just did a bad job with the play balancing. Ash was a little too good in 2k3, and they horribly nerfed his basics. And I'm not even going to use Whip or Mary willingly in XI. And also, the characters in the game feel very inconsistent. Ramon for example, can do his combos very fluidly. Iori on the other hand, feels awkward and uncomfortable compared with NGBC, And I have a real nightmare using Vanessa and Duo Lon in XI. That's the reason why I didn't want to write a guide for XI, because it would be inconsistent.

But going back to the topic at hand, it's been a quiet year for arcade gaming in my area. I can hit the arcades all day and nobody would challenge me in NGBC or XI, and even if they did, I could probably beat them. And NO, I am NOT a good player in either game, and definitely not tourney level, it's just that nobody regular is actually playing. I just don't know why so few people are playing competitvely in the arcades nowadays.

Fuu
hunted by pedo police
Currently Playing:by ear
PSN:OswaldK9o

Post by Fuu » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:25

I was going to write a long assed post about how lowres sprites are pixel art and hires sprites are more like anime art and about how much i like more the former, but i don't feel like writing a long assed post today!
ShadowSonic wrote: in XI you can still play Iori/Benimaru/K' etc the same way you played them when they were first introduced, whereas in a game like GGXX Slash you actually need to relearn characters since old combos don't work, or characters have been tweaked in such a way that they have to be played differently, etc.."
Now i don't know shit about GGX and i regret it, but the way i see it, this means just rearranging characters to make the game last longer, if you get what i mean. Personally i prefer having old characters being still playable without excessive effort and having 'a bunch' of new characters, let's not forget usually 6 or more, that i will ACTUALLY need to learn anew. I think it is more... honest, you see.

Anyway, i'm reluctant to admit it, but i think that the whole genre is dead. When i play a new 2d fighter nowadays, i feel like my beautiful bride died many years ago, but i can see a clone of her for a while. It... works, somewhat, but it's a little uncomfortable. Have you guys read Solaris? Good book.

KoFFreaK
Charging...99%
Charging...99%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by KoFFreaK » Thu Jan 05, 2006 23:34

I dunno where I was when this thread started, but here are my two cents.

Yes, I still play kof, 2002 obviously(theres no NGBC or KOFXI around where I live) and I dont contribute much to the kof 2002 thread because there just isnt many people that go there anymore, I mean, I still have a couple of questions here and there, but why bother.

As for Apathy Wind, yes, its true that KoF hasnt done enough changes to the game to satisfy todays standards, but theres something that I find weird in this thread that I havent heard of yet: KoF: Maximum Impact, is this game THAT bad to completely ignore it? Even though Kof XI hasnt been out yet for that long, KoF MI2 is gonna be out soon too, which means that yes, they are TRYING to reach todays standards atleast. So for your comment, Im not going to say that you are completely wrong, but imo partially because they are doing something new to the KoF name.

So my guess is that they are doing both versions of KoF(2D and 3D) for those who like the more classic KoF and for those who want to try something new with there favorite characters.

-4n'Dant3-
Powering up...89%
Powering up...89%

Post by -4n'Dant3- » Fri Jan 06, 2006 19:35

i think kof in sydney survives due to the huge influx of chinese/hk students and youths. that number is definately in no way going to shrink, thanks to the geographic location of australia and its relatively weaker exchange rate.

however, my gripe is that kof machines are certainly in the minority, and the only place with XI and NGBC is in the city central (unless universities have it now,) making it inaccessable to a lot of would be players. but, that being said - whenever there is a kof machine available, its disappointing to see that the vast majority of players prefer capcom's vs. series. i dont blame the locals, since theyre more accustomed to seeing those machines, but in that respect kof is dying among more local players.

is kof uninspired? i have to admit that it's something along those lines. its very hard to beleive that kof 2003 looked and played worse than MOTW when considering their release dates were 4 years apart. every kof to date (gameplay wise) is just a metaphoric 'new canvas' over the previous release. sure, there have been minor tweaks and adjustments to the gameplay, but nothing that really grabs new players in.

XI and NGBC aren't such bad games though, considering the creative limitations of 2d fighters.

Phoenix
Charging...8%
Charging...8%

Post by Phoenix » Fri Jan 13, 2006 06:25

As it's been mentioned many times before...the future of fighting games lie in online competition. Didn't someone say that DOA 4 supports online communities where you can watch people fight in spectator modes and talk and stuff? Online fighters need this addictive component that MMORPGs have..namely the community. (not to mention fresh competition) Kinda like the arcade communities of old, but online. I'm not sure how this will be done but it must be done and I think it will be done. Now that next gen is upon us. Namely xbox 360...and xbox Live is the best online console service. Let's look at what Live does in the future. Not too long from now, we'll be using fiber optics and wifi connections. Internet speed will increase and one day lag will disappear. Imagine playing games like XI and VF5 with no lag. We need to get to that place. And the old generation's fanbase must support the new gen. New gen does exist I think. I see them at places like S-C but they don't play at the arcades like we do/did. It's also interesting to see a lot of US's ex-Capcom fans joining the ranks of SNK fans.

I have Samsho V xbox pre-ordered. The fact that SNK's turn around time for ports have been tremendously reduced when compared to the old days...it shows that SNKP is trying to get their act together. (how long did it take for 2K to be ported? And they're even porting 94RE and apparently they're even planning on 98 Rebout) So it's not fair to say that they're not trying I think. Just think about how much money they make from their fighters. Their profit margin is niche at best. If you want GG sprites in kof for all the characters then you're gonna need more time than 1.5 years since kof has the biggest roster in any fighter period. I personally like the NGBC sprites and XI's Oswald sprite. As a matter of fact, NGBC doesn't look worse to me than CVS2. Not that I think that's a major accomplishment. And besides, sure GG looks great. But the GG scene is so quiet. And everyone is ignoring modern looking games like Fist of the North Star and Rumble Fish 2. (does RF2 count?)

My goodness, I'm ranting. Anyway the point is that SNKP recently brought back that magical 98 presentation along with good gameplay. And XI's not even a dreammatch yet. Plus we have 3 SNK games in SBO: SS Tenka, XI, NGBC. They're all tournament worthy fighters with quality gameplay and great presentation. Good presentation and good gameplay for 3 consecutive games? XI's tag combos and 6 spirits in Tenka and NGBC's DAs are all pretty fresh overhauls IMO. Besides I think KOF might get a sprite overhaul not too long from now...maybe...hopefully. I play SNK fighters somewhat frequently and I think I always will...on my online consoles...not the arcade. (distance, laziness, gas price, busy, bad sticks, poor competition etc.)

soujiro
Charging...76%
Charging...76%
A.K.A.:(EX)Hentai Bukkake Master =D
Currently Playing:Blazblue:CS (PS3) & SSF4 (XBOX360)
XBL:TCH soujiro
PSN:JUNHUA

Post by soujiro » Mon Jan 30, 2006 15:26

I still play KOF but its their older series like 95,98 and 02.
Since 03' I get quite bore about it....Then after KOFXI is release,I barely play it too.

I don't know why but I've lost interest in the new KOF. :?
Maybe was bcuz of the change in system? or the smooth feel...?

Bear
Charging...15%
Charging...15%

Post by Bear » Wed Feb 22, 2006 00:01

SNKP is trying IMO.

The original SNK had a set standard for their fighters, and believed in making a great game through quality. SNKP wants to bring the games into the current era, regardless of keeping continuity with the original properties. Tenka is an excellent example of that. The game is visually appealing(I haven't played it yet) and strays away from its' 16 bit forefathers.

Still, XI is nice to look at and play. More on the lines of a well worked Capcom Vs SNK. It's original and upbeat, with fighting improvements, but it doesn't feel like a KoF. After 2000, KoF didn't feel like the KoF we've known and loved for 6 years prior to the takeover..

I still play, though. Just mostly the older ones.

SnapYak
Charging...99%
Charging...99%

Post by SnapYak » Wed Mar 15, 2006 05:51

I dont agree that snk didnt put an effort into the kof series. I mean true the games have an air of familarity about them between each year but when u have hit a high water mark in gameplay,control,variety etc what more can u expect?

I just think it became all to familar causing boredom to set in then when kof2003 came out and it was so crap the fans were screaming "JINX" "KOF IS DEAD" blahblahblah all the dam time.

Well the public got there "change" and it didn't fly did it, nothing but complaints.

Kof players should consider themselves lucky to have such a high standard game engine brought out on a 12 year old console for so long!

When KofXI came out and I finally got to play it, I was shocked that the game engine was brought over to the atimoswave so well in the first place. I mean it has better control than the neogeo games before it and its just so smooth... even the hardest of combos are just so easy to get off thanks to the game engine.

Even ngbc with overlap in control input for mizuchis fireball and no hops is still much better in most areas to the neogeo originals I thought "wow". Even Samurai Tenkas not bad either.

Player 1
Is it a bot?

Post by Player 1 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 15:54

there is an arcade nearby where i live and im the king there , no one beated me yet >> and im waiting for a real challenger to come along . but still i go to the arcade every weekend for sure , i luv u kof

~MysticMonkeyGuru~
Is it a bot?

Post by ~MysticMonkeyGuru~ » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:59

I still play it religiously.

Actually, I kinda lost interest in KOF (and most games in general) after high school, but it was only last year when I came to China that my interest picked up again full speed. There are a couple of arcades in my area that have all of the old KOF games there, so after spending some time there, I'm now hooked all over again!

It seems to be real popular over here in China. Lots of people are going to the arcades to play. So, the level of competition here is really good. I hear '98 ult. match and MI:RA are coming soon, so competiton should be even more bumped up when they come! Can't wait.

DarkFuine
Charging...15%
Charging...15%
Currently Playing:King of Fighters, MySims, Harvest Moon, Tekken 5, Makai Kingdom, Sacred Gold
Location:...I sleep...deep...at the bottom....of all....darkness...

Re: How many people here still play KOF?

Post by DarkFuine » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:50

I still play KoF. Most likely I would play the old parts like 97 or 2001. Now I only can play "KoF Neo Waves", because it's the only one part that left here v.v But I try to get all parts back ò.ó Even if it cost me years to do so.

Demon_Mexican
Almost there! ...20%
Almost there! ...20%
A.K.A.:Chinka Rican
Currently Playing:KOF, Way Of The Samurai 3, Dragons Dogma
XBL:XxSolBadguyxX
PSN:XxSolBadguyxX

Post by Demon_Mexican » Sun Feb 01, 2009 13:43

Play KOF 02, most of the japanese kids over here dont really play the new KOF's. All I see them playing is KOF 98 and 02. About 95% of the time I get raped by their uber upper tier combos *choi

-VEGA-
Charging...69%
Charging...69%
A.K.A.:Hehe, did it burn?
Currently Playing:King of Fighters '98

Post by -VEGA- » Sat Jan 01, 2011 21:21

Of course I still play KOF.
It wouldn't make any sense to not play
one of my all-time favorite franchises now would it?

Also, if I had my hands on KOFXIII,
I would definitely spend a fraction of my spare time on it.

Zamora
Powering up...89%
Powering up...89%
A.K.A.:Zamo
Currently Playing:MGO, PES 2011, KOF XII(hella rusty)
PSN:acesamora

Post by Zamora » Sun Jan 02, 2011 00:59

there really isnt any cabinets in san diego, well besides boomers(kinda like dave & busters) which is an hour an a half away, most fans here play old titles on the ps2 and xbox, when i had a working ps2 i played at least 2 hours a day to maintain some level of skill

pop_squally
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by pop_squally » Sun Jan 02, 2011 03:44

sorry i just had to take that mai gif