Whats more balanced? 3rd Strike or MOTW?

Chat about whatever
Burningfist
Charging...23%
Charging...23%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Burningfist » Tue Nov 15, 2005 09:03

God Tier / Broken Tier Examples: Storm (Marvel vs. Capcom 2)

Top Tier / Overpowered Tier (...never heard that one) Examples: Yun (Street Fighter III: Third Strike), Cable (Marvel vs. Capcom 2)

Low Tier Example: Shura (World Heroes Perfect), Dan (Street Fighter Zero 3), Twelve (Street Fighter III: Third Strike), Jin (Marvel vs. Capcom 2)

Crap Tier Examples: Kobun (Marvel vs. Capcom 2), Sakura (Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter)

I'll post more later. Questions, comments?

Nemyus
I'm not a bot! :3
I'm not a bot! :3

Post by Nemyus » Wed Nov 16, 2005 05:34

What qualities(sp?) would exactly determine the placement of characters on the tier list..?

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Nov 17, 2005 04:16

The terms are relative.

Some games will be balanced worsed and and some be balanced better. The ones balanced better will generally have only a few tiers which are close to each others in strength. The ones balanced badly will have many tiers which are disparate in strength.

So basically god and crap tiers generally only occur in games where the best and the worst tiers are 1) widely disparate in power that 2) differentiated by a large number of distinct tiers.

For example, a well balanced game, like Garou might be simple divided into three tiers. Top, Mid, Low.

MvC2, which has such a huge roster, and more importantly, an unbalanced roster (no, I'm not saying its a bad game... I understand that team dynamics alleviate the tier problems somewhat) lends itself to be divided into 4 tiers. God, Top, Low, Crap.

And of course it also depends a lot on the game itself. Zangief, for example, who was pretty good in MvC, arguable mid or top tier is outright Crap in MvC2, due to team dynamics and the fact that he outright dies to many 'control' characters.

So you see, the teams are created by need. The more terms you need to come up with, to reflect the distinctions in relative levels, the more terms you'll get.

Burningfist
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Burningfist » Thu Nov 17, 2005 16:21

Zangief has extremely good assists, an anti rush down super, good super for linking together infinites through DHC's. I'd say a better example is Kobun, he has infinites that only work against him and Roll, no damage without meter and absolutely no mobility. Zangief is probably lower middle in terms of usefulness, but with a top tier he can be fucking evil.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Nov 17, 2005 19:00

Ah okay, I haven't played MvC2 in years, and i stopped before i got really competitive, so pardon my poor example.

The point I was actually trying to make was how a character that didn't really change could move from one tier to another, between games, because of the relative nature of tiers.

How about this example then? Gen and Dhalsim from SFA2 to SFA3.

In A2, they were pretty much bottom tier. Addition of juggle and guard crush systems make both A-Gen and ?? 'Sim high tiers in A3.

Burningfist
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Burningfist » Mon Nov 21, 2005 03:25

I'd say that's a good example, but I might add that Gen gains a lot from the new air combo system in Zero 3 as well. :)

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Tue Nov 22, 2005 13:28

I think that 3rd strike is more unbalanced for the just one reason :

Nobody in garou has the "super mario invincibility star" like this ***** of Yun...

And in garou I don't think that Kevin is a brocken char... I think more about Jenet and Gato (followed by Grant/Dong Hwan)... but no one can win matchs only by making cr MP x N... Jump dive... combo (on guard or not), genei... and when he finishes... backdash, cf MP x N again etc...

Oh... telling the tue, I'm not really objective... I must getting really bored of 3rd strike... all the tournaments here are the same... 50000 kens...30000 chunli.... 10000 kens.... 3 yuns... 2 makoto... and the winner is still the same yun...

I want more Garou tournament :(

Dark Geese
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Dark Geese » Mon Dec 05, 2005 19:11

Its a shame seeing you guys just talk about Chun Li and Ken. yes it seems you all have bene superexposed to Chun and Ken..Kens wakeup whoring and Chuns Kara-tactics of doom.

But no one seems to mention that YUN IS THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME.

Genei Jin owns...it is about being unpredictable and priority...I hope you guys have played a Yun that knows what he is doing..I hear a bunch of Kens and Chuns...and thats how its like in the tourney scene,,more KENS AND CHUNS THAN YUNS..

You should go to Oklahoma Paris guy, my friend has a mean Q..

Josh
Charging...50%
Charging...50%

Post by Josh » Fri Mar 24, 2006 20:38

3s

SnapYak
Charging...99%
Charging...99%

Post by SnapYak » Thu Mar 30, 2006 07:51

MOTWolves is more balanced.

For proof of why 3rd strike isn't balanced just dwnload all the Shoryuken.com Evolution tournament dvd matches and fall asleep because of all the Yuns and Kens.

If you disagree your spitting on daigo (the beast) and his mad skillz at using overpowered unbalanced characters.

8)

Tiamat
Powering up...24%
Powering up...24%

Re: Whats more balanced? 3rd Strike or MOTW?

Post by Tiamat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 04:13

I have the impression that Garou is significantly more balanced than 3S. It's a lot easier to find vids of low tiers doing well in MOTW tournaments and sometimes even winning. I see a lot more variety of character use in general compared to 3S.

Embrio
Charging...15%
Charging...15%

Post by Embrio » Thu Mar 12, 2009 06:36

If I had to speculate, I'd say the top tiers from garou would fluctuate between the top to mid while 3s is from top to bottom.

The Master
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:For Great JUSTICE!
Currently Playing:KOF 13, Tekken 6
XBL:Vlad Draulea
PSN:NYCYakuzaKyo

Post by The Master » Fri Sep 11, 2009 13:49

Tiers don't mean a damn thing. even if it's low, that character can still do damage is used correctly. and oh, i like both 3s and garou.

ddf -A- POWA WAVE