The next KoF...

Chat about whatever
Nestle
Charging...8%
Charging...8%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
The next KoF...

Post by Nestle » Tue Jun 07, 2011 19:37

So, when do you think the next KoF will be made?

Personally, I think next year (2012) looks like a good idea, when all the current hype for MvC3, Tekken and Street Fighter games die out.

Also, do you think it can reach a success as an arcade here in the United States, or will it see a ps3 and 360 release only?

Will it feature a new story arc?

What are your suggestions?

IsshunSengeki
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%
A.K.A.:#HAMLORD
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, BlazBlue Chronophantasma
PSN:IsshunSengeki

Re: The next KoF...

Post by IsshunSengeki » Thu Jun 16, 2011 07:00

You're all lonely in this thread, Nestle! Allow me to start.

1. Assuming it gets made at all (which I truly do hope for), I'd say around late 2013 - 2014. I say this because SNKP should know by now that they can NOT afford to rush KOF. Things are looking bad enough for them as it is, with their only profitable business being pachinko machines.

2. Keeping the considerable amount of success KOF XIII had in Japan (and the fact that it's far better than KOF XII was) in mind, I'd say that the game has a better chance of getting to arcades outside of Japan than before. My reasoning for this is that our local arcade (Timezone) in Brisbane had a KOF XII machine, but when they renovated, they got rid of it, so our only machines are Super Street Fighter IV AE and Tekken 6 BR. As far as I know, the prospect of getting a KOF XIII cabinet has never crossed the owner's mind, purely because the previous KOF they had (KOF XII) was an ENORMOUS flop that made them almost NO money. That said, if they notice that KOF XIII is a good game, any supposed KOF XIV would have a better chance of making it to non-Japan arcades.

3. This is how the KOF series has gone (story-wise) so far.
KOF '94: Project "Hey, let's get a bunch of SNK characters into a fighting game! It'll be AWESOME!"
KOF '95 - '97 (3 games): Iori Yagami gets introduced, we see the Orochi Saga unfold.
KOF '98: Project "Hey, let's get all of the characters from other KOFs and put them in a new one! It'll be AWESOME!" AKA Project Dream Match
KOF '99 - 2001 (3 games): We see K' and friends come in, almost get an entire cast reboot (Kyo and Iori were secret characters in '99), we see the NESTS Saga unfold.
KOF 2002: Project "Hey, let's get even MORE characters than we did in '98 and put THEM into a new KOF! It'll be AWESOME!" AKA Project Dream Match 2
KOF 2003 - XI: We are introduced to Ash Crimson and friends, and see the first two parts of the Ash Crimson Saga unfold.
KOF XII: Project "Hey, let's completely rework KOF from the GROUND UP! It'll be AWESOME!" (PROTIP: It wasn't.) AKA Project KOF Rebirth
KOF XIII: The final part of the Ash Crimson Saga.

So, as you can see, pretty much every KOF story arc takes up three games, then they have a Dream Match game just to fill in the time while they come up with another story. So it's more likely that any possible KOF XIV will be a REAL Dream Match (KOF XII was like a Dream Match, except for the fact that it was an incomplete game).

4. My only suggestion to SNKP on the possibility of KOF XIV is DON'T RUSH IT. I said 2013 - 2014, but if it takes you until 2015 or 2016 to get a decent amount of characters for a Dream Match, then god dammit, take as much time as you need. We know how much time it takes to make one of those beautiful character sprites of yours, so don't rush anything. Oh yeah, and make sure you PROMOTE THE GAME WELL. If you want the game to reach an international audience, make sure you let the international audience know about the game. You can sell ANYTHING if you promote it right.

/rant

pop_squally
Charging...90%
Charging...90%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Re: The next KoF...

Post by pop_squally » Tue Aug 02, 2011 14:13

i agree with that rant. its nice to snk back to form again and they finally got rid of falcoon yeeeessssssssssssss