I wanna get more active.

Chat about whatever
migrations
Is it a bot?
A.K.A.:Turned ON
I wanna get more active.

Post by migrations » Mon Jul 12, 2010 20:18

I'm not the best player. I have never played in a tournament, just by my self and with friends and I'm really good against my friends, but when I play online I lose every time. However I'm passionate about fighters and specifically SNK fighters! What can I do to help out this AWESOME community apart from winning tournaments? I'll always practice and play competitively, but I don't think I'm gonna help out by losing tourneys over and over. Any suggestions?

arstal
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Re: I wanna get more active.

Post by arstal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 21:16

First question: why do you lose?

From that, can spring anything. If you don't know why you're losing, odds are it's due to mashing on wakeup (though it can be other things)

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Mon Jul 12, 2010 22:30

Like arstal said, you have to question yourself. Questions may lead to more questions but generally you'll get an answer - if you don't like it then you are simply not capable of making progress.

Online is a totally different game than local, but the basics of course are the same.

Are you attacking like crazy without thinking of the consequences?

Do you just want moves to hit the opponent, rather than thinking of which moves to use?

These are examples of questioning....

welcome to the forums btw...!

migrations
Is it a bot?

Post by migrations » Tue Jul 13, 2010 00:11

Thanks I've been a HUGE SNK fan since I got a dreamcast and now I own a good arcade stick and I am totally addicted to all SNK games! But you guys make some good points, especially the mashing on wakeup. I'm definitely not a 'masher' though I know everything I'm doing, but at the same time I don't usually have a plan, just go into matches expecting to use stock techniques I use against friends and it never pans out.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Tue Jul 13, 2010 00:21

The one thing that does help a lot is finding a group of regulars to play with who are better than you - that's pretty much the best way to get better at the game too. You can learn a lot about what to do in different situations even just by watching them play, and if you play with them regularly they'll probably be inclined to help you out with your weak spots.

migrations
Is it a bot?

Post by migrations » Tue Jul 13, 2010 20:03

Bro I live in Colorado Springs Co. I have met TWO other people here that were even favorable of SNK games. Denver isn't far but I don't have friends there! The anime convention once a year has a game room, but Capcom games dominate it. I would love to get my ass kicked over and over and learn from it but right now I'm stuck using GGPO and grinding on MOTW and 2002 (and that's actually pretty fun).... Truth is, I really love ngbc and KOFXI and I can't play those online. Honestly I would LOVE to find a group, maybe I should start doing some organizing. I just started to get serious an join this community after watching Dark Geese for years, but Evo this year hyped me SO much and made me thing "Wow, it's time to go to the next level of seriousness with these games, they are deep enough and fulfilling to last me a life time."

The Master
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:For Great JUSTICE!
Currently Playing:KOF 13, Tekken 6
XBL:Vlad Draulea
PSN:NYCYakuzaKyo

Post by The Master » Tue Jul 13, 2010 23:20

migrations wrote:Bro I live in Colorado Springs Co. I have met TWO other people here that were even favorable of SNK games. Denver isn't far but I don't have friends there! The anime convention once a year has a game room, but Capcom games dominate it. I would love to get my ass kicked over and over and learn from it but right now I'm stuck using GGPO and grinding on MOTW and 2002 (and that's actually pretty fun).... Truth is, I really love ngbc and KOFXI and I can't play those online. Honestly I would LOVE to find a group, maybe I should start doing some organizing. I just started to get serious an join this community after watching Dark Geese for years, but Evo this year hyped me SO much and made me thing "Wow, it's time to go to the next level of seriousness with these games, they are deep enough and fulfilling to last me a life time."
1) starting a group would be your best bet to find players of all skill levels. Ask those friends that you play games with to see if they know anyone who's into the scene as well.

2) watching videos can help you alittle, but you really need some solid play to really get better at it.

3) i tell tend to say this alot but it has to be said. get rid of the "I cant win mentallity".(not sure if this is apart of your case or not). This can put a damper on your overall progress. Good players are not afraid of taking risks.the risk can go 50/50, but if you manage to land that into a damaging combo or DM/SDM,you'll have the advantage.

arstal
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by arstal » Wed Jul 14, 2010 02:27

Rule #2 for me. If it doesn't work, try something else. Doing nothing can be doing something.

SilentNinja
I'm not a bot! :3
I'm not a bot! :3
Currently Playing:Kingdom Heroes Online, HOTK(Red Cliff), SF4, Tekken 6, DOA, KOF98 UT, FFS, Koei games
XBL:SilentNinja23

Post by SilentNinja » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:25

Arcades are a dryspell these days. Sadly, where ever you go in your nearest local mall, there are a group of common people walking to the stores, sitting out at the food court, and the likes taking their fresh time finding something to buy or relax themselves with company. You couldn't find a mob gathering one machine placing their hard earned quarters on the panel to get their turn in the newest fighter.

It's 2010 and the games releasing are online. Well, with a decent netcode for KOF 98 Ultimate Match, you wait moments for someone to join in your game and start practicing against a human player. Well, there are differents to the tiers both online and offline, also the frame advantages prolly to the moves when you're...turtling(What is so bad about turtling... Defense win championships...)

Hm, well you're active talking about KOF. I, myself, having return to Orochinagi forums just to consider myself a fan of fighting games and KOF in general. Geez, I haven't talked about KOF/SNK fighter scene, and hardly active in playing them because of...well, I'll talk about that other subject in another thread.

Your best bet is keep practicing, if there's a anime convention, you're in luck pal playing those japanese style arcade machines of KOF XI.(The only KOF around in Anime Expo 2010 I went, but SF 4 caught me and nobody wants to play me in CvS 2 anymore because my Nakoruru, Ryo, and Bison A groove is BORING nowadays. Paint jobs and all that)

Hope KOF XIII will have a decent gathering and people will be active into playing it.....no matter how broken it'll be.x.x

International Bastard
More power! ...62%
More power! ...62%

Post by International Bastard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 01:42

I'm not actively playing anymore but a few practical little things that'd make me play better when i did. Hell, this is what i found to be true when i was kickboxing or playing football as well:
-Watch what works for your opponents
From this you get both offensive and defensive hints on what to do.
-Mix it up
pokes, command moves, break your opponents rythm and make yourself less predictable. Range for instance is important in this. A quick standing B and boom your opponent rythm is affected, know what's safe to use at what distance.
-Practice basic combos a little in practice mode. When you have them down timing wise you'll be more confident and you'll be able to capitalise on smaller mistakes/openings.
-Play a lot. Like with sports a fighting game is part mental (poise) part instinct (predicting your opponent and staying elusive yourself) part science (knowing what works and what doesn't, experience and knowing how to use those two) You can build that by playing a lot and preferably against better and varied opponents.
-Have fun. Even in losing, enjoy yourself because if you get frustrated you lose your cool and still lose the match. Just enjoy yourself. Gotta stay loose and not overthink/feel.