Chat about whatever
Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Re: King of Fighters Love Letter Series: A KOF Story Guide

Post by Wry Guy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 21:03

Shiny wrote:
Gunsmith wrote: Not sure about Heavy D though wikis say he's inspired by a rapper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_D_%26_the_Boyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I've never heard that before today)
Didn't know SNK knew of the Overweight Lover.
I was listening to cheesy Heavy D and the Boyz music all day after writing that article.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Tue Feb 23, 2010 22:21

What the hell? Inspired by THIS guy? I even remember this tune - 1991! But I wouldn't even call it real rap! Then again, the mainstreamness of this tune might explain how the Japanese got to hear of it...

Sheesh, I'd lose respect for Heavy D if this is true! It be much more hard core if Heavy D was named more like ... Ice D lol

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 08:39

Since I'm in an Ace Attorney mood as I write out my review of the latest game, I submit to you PROOF that Heavy D is inspired by this portly, silly man! His profile on the KOF website lists New Jack Swing music as his hobby. This is the same type of music that Heavy D and the Boyz claim to perform. This is all included in the KOF 94 article linked in the very first post.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05

Wry Guy wrote:So I'm in the process of doing some quick proof reading and edits to the KOF 94 article and adding in the information on the sports team that had been shown to me here (primarily checking out those old SNK sports games mentioned like Street Hoop and Football Frenzy.) I've been taking a break from the Love Letter lately as I've focused strictly on it for probably a good month.
If I do remember correctly, street hoop was a 96' data east game. And Football Frenzy I don't even recall if it was an SNK game.

At time like these would do just fine a translated version of the 94' re-bout Orochi / NESTS hen recap video. Too bad google says no found.

Yuki Yagami
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:a "trader" and a "messenger"
Currently Playing:...with someone's mind...

Post by Yuki Yagami » Wed Feb 24, 2010 13:42

Toxic Avanger wrote:
Wry Guy wrote:So I'm in the process of doing some quick proof reading and edits to the KOF 94 article and adding in the information on the sports team that had been shown to me here (primarily checking out those old SNK sports games mentioned like Street Hoop and Football Frenzy.) I've been taking a break from the Love Letter lately as I've focused strictly on it for probably a good month.
If I do remember correctly, street hoop was a 96' data east game. And Football Frenzy I don't even recall if it was an SNK game.

At time like these would do just fine a translated version of the 94' re-bout Orochi / NESTS hen recap video. Too bad google says no found.
Football Frenzy is an SNK Game.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/images/ng/01/fo ... renzy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 21:19

I made sure to clarify in the article that the sports team is moreso a tribute to the sports games on the Neogeo in general, regardless of whether SNK made them or not. The SNK website says that Brian Battle is a really old design though, and clearly they wouldn't have any reason to design a specific character for Football Frenzy. It's still my guess that he's a rejected World Heroes design, but I make sure to leave open room for doubt.

I've finished playing the latest Ace Attorney game and I already wrote up my review. I'll be back to editing the KOF 96 and 97 articles soon, then hitting up a KOF 99 article.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Feb 24, 2010 21:25

99? Figuring out the story was a COMPLETE nightmare, at the time. Remember the manga (if you regard it as canon) is up at the gallery.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 00:20

I'd already checked out the KOF 99 comics and I don't think they really hold up as canon. King of Fighters Kyo depicted the characters faithfully, didn't contradict with any of the existing storyline, and all the information about the Orochi legend matched up with the games in terms of dates and whatnot.

The KOF 99 comic I found doesn't seem to match up with the info I found on SNK's website as it is. That kind of knocked it out right away for material I can use. I might look into finding NESTS saga drama CD translations. I could see those helping out a lot.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
TTT2
Dragon's Crown

Post by Toxic Avanger » Thu Feb 25, 2010 04:54

Gunsmith wrote:99? Figuring out the story was a COMPLETE nightmare, at the time. Remember the manga (if you regard it as canon) is up at the gallery.
Well, The story is very messing and some time inaccuracy between the japanese version and the english one doesn't even soften up things at all. I actually had to more or less assemble what I know by playing both, the spanish and english (and later once I could somewhat read them, the japanese) version of the games.

One of the things of the NESTS saga is that, the core of the story is so stupidly simply that it doesn't even seems relevant at all. It does have a benefit that the characters have a bunch of details and characteristics here and there like, where characters come from, clones or not, do they follow the cartel or not and things like that that aren't "explicit" in the storyline, unlike the orochi saga where the story was laid out right away, there is an almost "puzzle factor" to certain things.

... There is also the fact that SNK took advantage that the video game world had a bigger, broader market at the time and used not only the games to represent the story, but also Radio Dramas, Novels, Magazine articles and what not, most of it was even written by the guys that made the original in game script, and as such even if you want to deny them as cannon, most of the time they don't contradict at all main the story. Most mangas are licensed and as such the author puts his creativity in the spot most of the time.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
TTT2
Dragon's Crown

Post by Toxic Avanger » Fri Feb 26, 2010 01:53

Oh, I just remembered something cool from the NESTS hen recap in kof '94 rebout:

K' virtually didn't actually meet Kula, ever. Kula didn't contacted him personally but instead leaked info to him as it was convenient to both of them (first, to deal with Zero since it was her orders, then to escape Igniz's grip, since they where being used). It wasn't until Kula and her gang saved K''s team from the crashing burning station after Igniz defeat that K' actually meet Kula and learned her name. He did realize that "that voice" that was making contact with him was her.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 08:10

That KOF 94 recap video sounds pretty handy. Here's hoping I can hunt down a translation of it.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 09:48

Talking about the KOF 96 soundtrack got me a thinking about how good KOF music is and how many people never bothered to listen to it. I added the game intros and better information for the KOF 94 article I remade. I added much better images for the KOF 95 article. I think for the new KOF 96 article I'll start including the music for every character who's relevant to the plot. Example here of the new format I played with:

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Wry+Gu ... 5532.phtml

Redevelopment of the KOF 96 article is officially underway when I can find the time to do so.

Speaking of KOF 96, can somebody at all help me with the confusion regarding Geese Howard? I know he's supposed to be dead. It's obvious if you play Mark of the Wolves since that entire game couldn't happen if Rock wasn't left without a parent. Anywhere but KOF it's hinted so heavily that Geese is dead that it hurts. The confusion for me is regarding Fatal Fury 3. I've read so many theories about how Geese Howard came back after the first game and the most practical one seemed to be about the Hakkyokuseiken scrolls and how Geese had one and the other two were the Jin scrolls from Fatal Fury 3. Theory was he used that scroll to increase his recovery and come back from certain death.

To me this is the most logical explanation because the scrolls are destroyed in Real Bout Fatal Fury if I recall, and that would include the one Geese used to come back. My question is this: Can anyone point me to a real source of information regarding this? Anything, seriously. I've got a guy learning Japanese I can use to translate materials if anyone can find me stuff about Hakkyokuseiken or Geese Howard's revival in general.

Yuki Yagami
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:a "trader" and a "messenger"
Currently Playing:...with someone's mind...

Post by Yuki Yagami » Tue Mar 02, 2010 09:56

From what I can remember, Geese is alive and well in KOF 2003. (Based from the Outlaw Team's Story) Thus leading to a confusion in the KOF and Southtown canon.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:08

I know that in King of Fighters that Geese is alive. Confusing as that might be. I'm mostly curious about the official canon of Fatal Fury itself, simply for the sake of clarity. It's pretty clear that KOF and Fatal Fury run in their own standalone storylines. Krauser supposedly killed himself after Fatal Fury 2 as well, but there he is in KOF 96.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
TTT2
Dragon's Crown

Post by Toxic Avanger » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:50

Wry Guy wrote:I know that in King of Fighters that Geese is alive. Confusing as that might be. I'm mostly curious about the official canon of Fatal Fury itself, simply for the sake of clarity. It's pretty clear that KOF and Fatal Fury run in their own standalone storylines. Krauser supposedly killed himself after Fatal Fury 2 as well, but there he is in KOF 96.
So, let's check : Geese stated in Real Bout Special that he used a shadow to stage is "dead". This is revealed while playing Geese (one of the two (AI and player) is the shadow). Using publishing dates we have to the public Eye, Geese died in garou 1 (91) and was dead until he showed up in 95 to steal the scrolls. 6 months after that was killed and stayed dead for good. It don't remember if Geese's revival was made public, or was a fact kept only to the people fighting the tournament. "Time line wise" it was always evident that KoF was a tale of it's own not only for the age difference of the ryuuko no ken chars and the garou ones, but also because Geese was alive in 94, but was dead in the garou world. It even seems that Geese has never been dead in kof cannon.

Le's check again : Zero Cannon has nothing to do with new and old south town. The city went into economic decay and ruin, due to crime increasing at alarming rates and general anarchy. This can be read during the second introduction, in the text that flashes behind the characters (if you have access to emus, you can remove every element except the text you can read a pretty lenghty story. There are several pages scattered through the intro, but even then the text is not "complete". I remember that How south town came to ruin (and was split in two cities, rich and poor) was also spoken of at the game release (something in the lines of "south town crushed into itself"). I remember the cities being called "New South" and "South town", but I'll have to triple check.... some day.