King of Fighters Love Letter Series: A KOF Story Guide

Chat about whatever
PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35
Re: King of Fighters Love Letter Series: A KOF Story Guide

Post by PenPen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 13:43

I thought that due to 2003 with Geese appearing, it's basically accepted that with KOF being in its own universe instead of happening in the Fatal Fury-Art of Fighting universe. I'm not 100% sure if that's the official part, but at least the storyline fanatics came to the conclusion that it would be considered as two separate universes/timelines.

Before 2003, I thought it was sorta murky where we used to 'rationalize' that somehow the Fatal Fury and KOF timelines are co-existing. But now it's pretty clear that they're running on two different tracks. 2003 made it clear for me, at least.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Wry Guy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 01:05

They're definitely split-timelines ever since KOF 96 screwed things up with Geese being alive at all. Real Bout Fatal Fury had already established the fact that he was dead for good, even going so far as to include Ghost versions of Geese in the other Real Bout games. Fatal Fury is the only thing that really causes a problem for the KOF timeline. Art of Fighting can't really do much to screw up the story since it takes place so much earlier than the other games.

Even then though it's not like the Fatal Fury characters like Billy and Geese ever have a real impact on the story of the games. I'm mostly trying to figure out the exact details behind the Fatal Fury storyline so I can figure out how the Mark of the Wolves characters fit in King of Fighters. So long as they don't include Rock Howard though it probably won't ever be a serious problem.

Bugle/Hawk'M
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:When life gives you lemons, make Kaiser Waves
Currently Playing:some games
XBL:BugleHawkeM
PSN:BugleHawkeM

Post by Bugle/Hawk'M » Wed Mar 03, 2010 01:24

King of Fighters and Art of Fighting/Fatal Fury have always had to be separate continuities because in Art of Fighting/Fatal Fury the events of Art of Fighting take place 10 or more years before Fatal Fury. Which is why we have young Geese in Art of Fighting 2 and old Ryo in Fatal Fury Wild Ambition. Doesn't Mark of the Wolves take place in far off future of 2006 or 2008 or something like that? I think that's what it said in the manual for Dreamcast if memory serves me correct.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 08:44

The Dreamcast manual does indeed say it takes place 10 years after the last Fatal Fury. Real Bout 1 was the last story-based one and that was in 1995, but since RBFF itself doesn't establish that the year is 1995 to my knowledge, we don't really know the exact year Mark of the Wolves takes place in.

The fact that they use MotW Terry's design for KOF 2003 and XI would imply that it's around the same time, but it's absolutely nothing conclusive. Especially considering King of Fighters more often does things like that for fanservice than anything else. Geese being alive in 96 was the same thing. It was just done because it would be cool. Quite clearly nobody from the Fatal Fury team was consulted at the time since both games were being made concurrently.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:31

So I'm just about done remaking the King of Fighters 96 article with what I consider tons of new improvements to the whole formula of the series. Someone wanna clear something up for me, though? Is there any way at all to actually get the Three Treasures ending in the normal arcade version of KOF 96 or was it strictly disabled? The ROM I used to get at the graphics to use for the article clearly lets me play Chizuru IF I pick something called (BOSS EDITION) off the roms list, but I can't for the life of me find a way to play it on the normal version of the game.

What the hell are those BOSS EDITIONS exactly, and why would they leave the endings in the game but not let you actually see them unless you had a Neogeo CD or something?

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 19:40

Well, either way the latest Love Letter remake is done. King of Fighters 96 has gotten a total overhaul. http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Wry+Gu ... 6469.phtml

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Mar 10, 2010 22:09

Wry Guy wrote:
What the hell are those BOSS EDITIONS exactly, and why would they leave the endings in the game but not let you actually see them unless you had a Neogeo CD or something?
sorry for late reply, uhhhh 96 was a literal treasure chest of kof goodness - unlike 97 which was unfinished, it seemed like 96 was overflowing. I recall the boss endings... let's just leave those alone. Three teasures ending... they probably kept it back to sell the ngcd.

Good job on the work. I'd er... fap to it if I could.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 22:42

You're free to use these things as fodder for your front page. This latest 96 article as about at the level of polish where I wouldn't feel lame advertising it.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Mar 10, 2010 23:07

I take it there will be more of these? Why not register and blog here too?

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 00:43

Indeed I'm going to keep going. I've got no intention of stopping until I've covered the entire King of Fighters (and indirectly the Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting) storyline in as much detail and accuracy as possible. There's way too much misinformation out there and it's too fun of a project to not finish.

I wasn't aware that normal members could blog here, so unless you're offering me a spot as part of the front page staff I'm not quite catching your drift.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Fatal Fury, you say?

Post by Gunsmith » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:10

Swivelling round from the view of the setting sun, Gunsmith raised his shoes and laid them with a thud upon the corner of the desk. Wry Guy tried not to stare at the slightly worn yet obviously expensive soles presented to him, which had no doubt crushed only-God-knows how many souls underneath.

"Yes" said Gunsmith with a grin, "that's exactly what I'm offering."

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 20:17

How impossibly cheesy, but you got a smile out of me. Admittedly Orochinagi's one of the only prominent KOF fansites that still exists. If I were ever going to find a proper place to put these articles, this would be a good place for it. I wouldn't mind helping keep the KOF spirit alive somehow. I'd of course still be making my articles on my personal blog, then working on putting KOF or fighting game stuff here.

Might want to keep in mind I've also got a strict no avatar policy. On my blog I only have a blank white avatar. I like people knowing my strictly by my screen name, and I like how the blank space on the page makes me stick out when people wonder where the empty gap is. If that's an issue I could change it to a Shingo avatar or something.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 00:16

Or how should I put this? Let me try to speak in your language:

"Wry Guy looked at the weird ass cracker sitting in front of him and he said 'DAYUM, SON! That sounds hella tight, schnigro! I'll write some hizzy fo shizzy shiet for yo crackah ass website, and it'll be Caaaarrrrrazy Taxi aight!?!?' Then Wry Guy was fired because he was not black. At all. Neither was Gunsmith. Gunsmith got fired too just to be safe."

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Mar 12, 2010 14:37

After being fired, Gunsmith arranged a meeting on top of Southtown tower, sneaking through the fire exit.

To continue, I'm not asking you to move your files or anything like that, you can simply post news that you've updated your blog! Keep your traffic, and keep your hosts happy. If they should become a victim of bankruptcy or kick you off for secretly hosting kof hentai, then let us know and we can sort out putting your files here.

The fire exit door burst open with a bang.

"Hey hey hey!" - Billy Kane pointed at Gunsmith with his pole.

Gunsmith blushed. "I suppose this is about using Geese's office while he was on holiday. And ok, I did steal his shoes. This is a probably a good time to bid you adieu. One thing though," Gunsmith stepped backwards onto the edge "you registered with the gallery, not the main page."

And with that, Gunsmith stepped off backwards, laughing, and if you had bothered to watch, he kind of looked like Geese as he fell, eyes wide like an idiot, just needing a skirt and a pair of fluffy white socks to complete the homage.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 19:56

I was actually trying to register in the gallery earlier to see if I could use a couple features in it. I've registered on the front page but it appears that I don't really have the option to do anything. I don't know if I'm simply looking in the wrong places or if you need to open up the account so I could post something here.