KOF XIV-King of Dinosaurs

For the diehards! :)
Yuki Yagami
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:a "trader" and a "messenger"
Currently Playing:...with someone's mind...
KOF XIV-King of Dinosaurs

Post by Yuki Yagami » Sat Mar 05, 2016 06:57

Tizoc who?

Movelist

Throws

Commands

Specials

Desperation Moves

Climax Desperation Move

King of dinosaurs

King of dinosaurs

King of dinosaurs

crouch A
Cancel

Cr A x 2, hcb A

Stand A
No cancel

Fwd A
Overhead
Cancel into super only

Stand B
Combos into ZMH at almost full range

Back A
Hit box in air only, does not hit standing opponent
Causes juggle state

Stand HP
Guard point

Far Stand HP
Guard point
Cancellable into super only

Crouch HP
Guard point
Causes juggle

Giga Cop
Qcb K
OTG
use after knockdowns in corner
Fast recovery
Has guard point on final frames, not first!

Ankylo Hammer
Qcf A
Either hit cancels
2 hits (can break after 1st)
C qcf A will whiff 3rd hit, so break or use qcf HP instead

Qcf HP
3 hits, break (A+B) after 2nd for fast recovery and mix ups
Qcf PP
can follow with another + cancel
Charging headbutt doesn't seem to cancel
Causes wall bounce > combo with climax or giga but not dinner time
Mid screen > qcf PP > end
Mid screen > climax
Corner > giga (as he turns around)

Zets Metsu Hurricane
Hcb A
Grab to be used in combos and quick grabs
No range!
Faster than HP version

Hcb C
slower than LP version
Has guard points
Used as a counter
Has more range

Hcb PP
extremely fast
Cr A x3, EX no problem

qcf B
good for hop attack mixups
Not good for opp with good hearing
Can't hit crouching opp
Can't hit jumping opp

qcf D
Can't hit crouching opp
Can't hit jumping opp
Maybe good for clearing distance

qcf KK
Hits crouching opponent
doesn't make difference if opp jumps on reflex anyway

Dinner for Dinosaurs
Qcf x2 K
SDM = “Dinner Time!”
Runs forward, biting
Can juggle
EX version ends with a rolling kick

Super Zetsmetsu Hurricane
Hcb x2 p
Running grab
Very fast
Can be used in fake combos as long as opponent doesn't jump

Hcbx2 kk
Lunging upper

Standard Combos

HP, fwd LP, qcf x2 K 287 <<---

HP qcf A (1hit) qcfx2 K 268

Cr B cr A hcbx2 P 269

CD, Wall bounce, qcf A, qcb B

Jump CD, qcb B

Best Practices
Use cr B cr A qcf A qcf B > climax if needed
Sit, cr C > qcf A > qcf B > climax

Theories

Use Raptor B to get closer after knockdown

The qcf B is a buffer so you can are actually doing qcfx2 K

Setups

Mid screen
GC > AR HK > Hyper Jump will crossup
GC > AR HK > Normal Jump will not crossup

Cr LK cr LP > qcf A (opponent falls)
qcf D > qcf D will hit on wakeup
Qcf B > qcf B will land in front out of range of anti air… hopefully

Cr B cr A hcb A

Cr B cr A fwd A qcf x2 K
(the overhead is not a combo but will cancel)

Qcf LP > Break > hcb HP

Opp corner
Bk A > qcfx2 K > climax

The Shed

Stuff for development
Interesting combos?
(On jumping opp in corner) Bk LP, qcf A xx qcfx2 K….

contribs: Gunsmith

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Re: KOF XIV-King of Dinosaurs

Post by Gunsmith » Tue Jul 19, 2016 15:03

into the shed big time

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Wed Jul 20, 2016 05:08

Already experienced my first vs session, sadly the game is as facepalm worthy as I expected it to be from the get go; a sad reminder that even on how it ended up, XIII s actually one of the most balanced KoFs.

As for Dino; I was looking forward on using this guy, but he is so damn weak it's hard to keep my wheel spinning at this point, I will probably move him from "sure to main" towards "guilty pleasure / bullying the weak" tier.

..... Basically, crouching B, crouching A and Justice Hurricane is your goddamn ultimate combo and the key to evolution since you are meant to spam it from dawn till midnight and from heaven to earth (Oh, and don't even try to fool yourself that the qcf .A is ever going to do enough damage to kill anyone, you'll regret it).

Your normals suck. The only notewhorty thing is that you can cancel the far .B into something; furthermore far .B is somewhat special, you can command throw out of it at almost max range. Jumping .C has a deceptively 'big' cross over range which will probably trick you instead of the enemy since you can't freaking land it consistently and that's for about it. You are expected to spend 90% of the round doing neutral / back jumping .D else you become a sitting duck.

Your special moves suck, Justice Hurricane your way to victory (due to it's damage), but it's has such an embarrassing short range. Your brake move leads to absolutely no consistency; there are times where you can try to use it for thick throws or to repeat pokes, but the enemy is going to get it quickly after a few times and realizing that you are negative as hell. qcf .K is soo bad, it's embarrassing; completely a joke move.

About the DMs, qcf qcf .K is weak for a DM, but you follow it up with QCB .K (which I don't think works at every range). Justice Hurricane DM hurts a lot, but the initial dash is only there to guarantee that you don't have a 1f throw, urgh.

Bread and butters :

- cr .B -> cr .A -> qcf .A
114 damage if you are unlucky enough to hit; your guard pressure string. Since it's meant to be blocked, feel free to sometimes change the move for the .C version, since that one you can break in the second swing rather than the first.

- cr . B -> cr .A -> HCB .A
197 damage, if we exaggerate, you can say that it hurts almost as twice as the previous move, learn to hit confirm this.

- cr .B -> cr .A -> qcf .A (first hit) -> super cancel qcf qcf .B , QCB .B
323 damage, the easiest one gauge you can use. Damages more than super cancelling with the other DM.

- cls . C -> fwd .A -> Max mode -> cls .C -> Qcf .A .C -> Qcf .A .C -> QCB .B
Inconsistent damage since the second EX sometimes hits twice and sometimes 3 times. It won't work close to the corner and it won't work too far from the corner, pif. Does slightly more damage than a super cancel with 1 gauge.

.... And, that's for about it, I think? most of the other day 1 combos where awfully predictable such as super cancel with 2 gauges ( good old north american combo of attack -> command move -> activation -> attack -> special -> dm ).

edit : Before I forget -> crouching .C has autoguard frames (good luck stopping Iori's jumping .D with this crap ¬¬). Far .C also has autoguard frames (will whiff on crouchers and some jumpers, so forget about it), as well as the forward + .A . Back + .A also has autoguard, now if only the attack would hit anyone.....

You know his QCB .K OTGs, right? but his qcf .P also OTGs on the 2nd and third hit, in all versions, I think.... it's usually not worth it and only connects after the EX version of it.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Jul 20, 2016 14:51

pretty much same thoughts. KBR posted something about a kara CD into EX hcb PP but eh...

Still looking for that wonderful secret that makes him better.

Also, after dinner time, it might be better to NOT do qcb B and go for some sort of mixup instead.... but what mix up... hmmmm

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
TTT2
Dragon's Crown

Post by Toxic Avanger » Thu Jul 21, 2016 13:43

Gunsmith wrote: Also, after dinner time, it might be better to NOT do qcb B and go for some sort of mixup instead.... but what mix up... hmmmm
And if let's say you "mix up", what are you going to do? Dino's crossover is harder to place on standing up enemies (the high jump one is easy to get post DM, but the short jump one is a nightmare to get), and your autoguard throw sucks since it gets stuffed all the time and it won't track rolls, which the enemy will learn to do a lot since you really can't punish back rolls and is hard to do so on the forward ones.... and if they choose to back roll; you don't have any reasonable realistic option to chase them down and punish them; better add 80~100 of damage and charge some bar even if you lose a cornered enemy. Also, regular dinner time is pretty weak damage wise, so it's obviously meant to be followed up.

I think I have sort of rounded down the combos that I'm going to stick up with him during this demo month :

- far B -> command throw
Your only chance to punish blocked shoryukens, thrust me. Crouching C -> command throw also has a lot of range and is good in many opportunities, such as when you block a dm that has pushback but it does not has as much range as the far standing B

- cr B -> cr A -> qcf A (1 hit) -> qcf x2 + B -> qcb + B
Standard post jump attack move.

- close standing C -> qcf C -> break -> crouching C -> qcf A (misses) -> break
Corner only, the only decent way to use your breaks and sort of create options, does look scary the first couple times..... before turning completely harmless once the enemy understand those 2 reactions that counter pick all of your options.

- cr B -> cr A -> MAX Mode activation -> close standing C -> qcf A+C -> qcf C -> Climax
The only Max mode combo that I could get that works on any place of the screen; though sometimes the qcf C hits once or twice, in that case you need to change slightly the timming of the super cancel.

- close standing C -> fwd + A -> MAX Mode activation -> CD -> crouching A x2 -> qcf A (1 hit) -> dinner time -> Climax.
Only corner and unrealistic in your dreams combo. Leaving the enemy standing after a CD with KoD is hellish in difficulty (and easy as pie with other characters).

- close standing or far standing D or crouching D -> delay -> qcf + BCD
Waste of a gauge, but sometimes someone stupid enough will get killed by this one, I have used it a few times to ensure a straight victory against guys with no reflex nor kof experience.

...... And, that's for about it? using 2 bars is not worth it (only like 40 more damage than a single bar combo) and using 4 or 5 in a combo is wothless compared to other characters.

Oh, and I so freaking hate that players can jump my DM throw after the frozen screen, what the hell is this crap? Street Fighter?
Last edited by Toxic Avanger on Tue Aug 02, 2016 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

TamaYak
One stock!
One stock!

Post by TamaYak » Fri Jul 22, 2016 05:05

Ok I played around a bit with dinobait and found some things...

dwn b dwn a hcf a hcf c (corner) hcf (2nd hit cancel to kick super to neomax)

Theres this weird thing... if u go down d sweep u can cancel to hcf punch moves so you can do this...

Middle of the screen

Max hcf ac down d hcfac hcf c cancel to kick super cancel to neomax

Thats all I found so far (hows that gunsmit?)

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Jul 22, 2016 15:57

I magically was able to do far stand A, BC, C once. And never again. I am very sad.

Here's Desk's Combo Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJAB-c8 ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps. I am not speaking to any trolls/ racists/ bigots etc

TamaYak
One stock!
One stock!

Post by TamaYak » Wed Jul 27, 2016 07:22

(near middle of the screen)

C throw, hcf c (1hit off the ground), hcfhcf b, neomax

edit...

C throw, hcf c (1hit off the ground), neomax (is Dino weak really?)

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
TTT2
Dragon's Crown

Post by Toxic Avanger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 00:09

Patched KoD is still crap. The only thing they truly fixed was the dash speed and the range of the crouching jab.

- You still can't hit confirm or delay anything, urgh.
- Far C reachers further, but it still has that ultra small horizontal hit box that's originally meant for a battle between smurfs. It still going to miss clever jumpers and crouching people.
- CD feels like it recovers slightly better? I need to check more.
- Jump attacks feel the same (jump A, C, D & CD still have problems hitting crouchers), command moves feel the same (woe is me)
- C command throw has more range, but that little matter that it guard points randomly when it feels like it and that instead you get regularly stuffed by normals or throws is still there.
- EX moves feel the same. DMs are (quite sadly), the same.
- Max mode combos are still the same inconsistent crap as always; so you still have no choice in what combo you are going to do (thus, you have no freaking effective way of expending gauges. Byebye comeback).

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
TTT2
Dragon's Crown

Post by Toxic Avanger » Thu Sep 01, 2016 00:50

I have a better command of the game's (absolute lack of) intrincancies now, so let's review this again a little, ok? Not only I'll add more stuff, but also this is a good chance of to sort everything in a single post :

Bread and butters :

- far .B -> Justice Hurricane
+ A far range punish, it still has quite the importance because against some mistakes you still can dash enough to do more meaty stuff. Crouching C -> command throw also incrases the throw range a good chunk and is good in many opportunities; specially since you are supposed to be dashing first.

- cr .B -> cr .A -> qcf .A
114 damage if you are unlucky enough to hit; your guard pressure string. Since it's meant to be blocked, feel free to sometimes change the move for the .C version, since that one you can break in the second swing rather than the first. Most of the time you'll be at a range where you need to brake the qcf or else you'll eat a retaliation due to the whiffed second hit.

- cr . B -> cr .A -> HCB .A
+ 197 damage, if we exaggerate, you can say that it hurts almost as twice as the previous combo, learn to hit confirm this; unfortunately since the thow lacks range big time; this is mostly post cross over combo.

- close standing .C -> qcf .C -> break -> crouching .C -> qcf .A (misses) -> break
+ Normally, corner only; the only decent way to use your breaks and sort of create options, does look scary the first couple times..... before turning completely harmless once the enemy understand those 2 reactions that counter pick all of your options. For pure damage, you could use the crouching D instead of the C, which hurts a whole 10 more and makes this combo full screen compatible (I bet that made your heart skip a beat), sadly it hurts less than strong attack -> hurricane. Oh, and far .B should hit everywhere as well, allowing for some options midscreen? Not work the risk, though.

- CD -> Dashing Roll -> QCB .B
+ 177 damage, YOU FINALLY CAN DO SOMETHING FROM A WALL SPLAT CD!!!!

- CD -> far .B -> HCB .A
+ 220 damage, corner version of the previous one that you can do almost at max CD distance.

- cr .B -> cr .A -> qcf .A (first hit) -> super cancel qcf qcf .B -> QCB .B
+ 323 damage, the easiest one gauge you can use; Damages way more than super cancelling with the throw DM.

- CD -> crouching .A -> qcf .A (first hit) -> super cancel qcf qcf .B -> QCB .B
+ 331 damage, corner version of the previous one that you can do almost at max CD distance. A little bit closer and you can do cr .B -> cr .A instead of a single jab, which is apparently easier in timming.

- cr .B -> cr.A -> Max mode -> cls .C -> Qcf .A .C -> qcb .B .D
+ The basis of the basis of the no gauges combos, it hurts less than the other options, but it will work if the enemy is cornered (great options there) or if you are cornered (not great options there).

- cr .C -> fwd .A -> Max mode -> cls .C -> Qcf .A .C -> Qcf .A .C -> QCB .B
+ Inconsistent damage since the second EX sometimes hits twice and sometimes 3 times. Rather than a slow but damaging strong attack activation, is much better to train oneself to do crouching .B -> .A -> Max mode. BTW, this combo won't work sticking to the corner and it won't work too far from the corner, pif. Does slightly more damage than a super cancel with 1 gauge; the interesting thing about this combo and that pushes you to use this more is that you have mix up options, I'll detail them bellow...

- cls . C -> fwd .A -> Max mode -> cls .C -> Qcf .A .C -> Qcf .A .C -> (break) -> cls .C
+ One of the mix ups from the previous one which is pretty good if you want to fish for a Justice Hurricane. Additionally you could not do the break for the hard knock down and aim for a safe jump (which is also another micro universe of baiting for the hurricane). ADDITIONALLY, a GREAT "shoshinsha goroshi / begginer killer" version of this one when starting close to the corner you do the second EX and it won't leave the enemy cornered; then after that you go for the cross up (will work the first few times) or go for the cross over empty jump & the hurrican (will work a few more times after the first ones) or instead do an ambiguous by the front (can work plenty of more times). I got a bunch of complains from my husbandos when I understood total the logic behind these possibilities, shoshinsha goroshi indeed.

- cr .B -> cr .A -> MAX Mode activation -> close standing .C -> qcf .A .C -> qcf .C (only second hits) -> Climax
+ Weak as hell, but it's the only Max mode combo that I could get that works on any place of the screen outside a simple ground based super cancel. BTW,sometimes the qcf C hits once or twice, in that case you need to change slightly the timming of the super cancel.

- close standing .C -> fwd + .A -> MAX Mode activation -> .C .D -> crouching .A x2 -> Qcf .A (1 hit) -> Dinner Time -> Climax.
+ Only corner and unrealistic in your dreams combo; you are better of using more traditional options.

.... I still think that he is bad, but there are a lot of other characters in the cast are in the same boat, additionally he has plenty of options at being bad, which can make for fun past times.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
TTT2
Dragon's Crown

Post by Toxic Avanger » Wed Oct 19, 2016 05:38

Added a loop limit to Qcf + Punch.
Qcb kick got damage nerf (bleh, so absolutely no point to not burst maxing now).
Dinner time had it's attack timming changed a little, meaning that it won't embarrassingly leave you open for rapes on basically every 2 gauge combo.

Dino's biggest change is due to engine change. Now you can bait a command throw from a roll recovery since that throw invincibility from rolls got tweaked. Unfortunately it's not a 100% sure punish like in the old times.

Now work nicely on pretty much everybody :

- cr B -> cr A -> [Max Mode] -> cls C -> Qcf EX -> Qcf C (Second Hit) -> DinnerTime.
+ Strong damage for a 2 gauge, can break over 500 dmg on some cases and now is consistent not only everywhere on the screen; but against everyone.

- cr B -> cr A -> [Max Mode] -> cls C -> Qcf EX -> Qcf EX -> Qcf C (Second Hit) -> Dinner time -> Qcb D (or Qcf A)
+ The enemy needs to touch the corner on the second Qcf EX. Regardless of the position you use, the DM will never be an EX one with two gauges, but even then the damage is pretty tasty. You can even choose to leave the enemy cornered with a Qcf A; Sadly Qcf A can't be super canceled (well, you can super cancel it, but nothing will hit).

So, bottom line is; outside the defect that your combos can't improve depending on which character position Dino is, you can actually rely on the few DM combos you have. Previously you where stuck on using 1 gauge combos for ever and ever and they don't even work decently far from the corner.

...... From all of the characters I have tried (over half the cast), buffing this guy's DM is like the only worthwhile change made on the whole freaking game, bah. Again SNK showing big lack of knowledge on the game.

edit : Since Angel and Hein can grab crouchers with their command grabs, Dino is the only idiot in this planet whose far distance grab can be crouched.......... Congratulations? ...............

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
TTT2
Dragon's Crown

Post by Toxic Avanger » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:22

- Jump C was supposedly buffed, but since it can't be used differently, it's not really possible to tell....
- Air C -> cls C is still hard even though the close standing C got a speed buff.
- Far C hits crouchers, supposedly the hurtbox got beefed but since the supposedly there autoguard frames keep getting stuffed so easily, you don't even see how the punch behaves when it comes out.
- Qcf B finally is good for something, not essential at all; though. At least you got the same 'wakaran goroshi' that Vice has; albeit without the super cancel.
- I need more fly hours with Hcb C, it sounds better, I wonder if now you can trust this one??? Few matches I used him, at least it seems better vs jumps (dodging the attack saves the guardpoint cue to dodge the throw, got them every time :lol: ). You also can't be normal throwed from this anymore.
- Grab DM is finally 1 frame. Dear god. 1 bar DM still feels useless, it's supposedly invincible but I can't really dodge stuff with it since kof XIV invincibility inc last too damn little. You can go through fireballs with it with perfect timing, but since it's strict so far it has only happened in practice.... BTW, now SDM grab is useless vs air attacks, and the normal DM is also useless against them, unlike the old SDM, the enemy can jump after their attack was dodged.

.... And that's for about it?