Dream Match never ends!
SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Tue Sep 20, 2005 07:21

Interesting vids on the whole. Big vs Big tends to be a snorefest for the first 20 seconds or so as usual, but after that it gets interesting.

I like how the Big/Marco player used combat shift to guard crush the opponent quickly...not your average keepaway Marco from the other vids I've seen.

Hotaru did pretty well against Big, but didn't really stand a chance against the guy's Marco. Couldn't really tell what Ai was doing since I'm not familiar with her moves. :X

And the K'/Kim player...wasn't that good, IMO. Missed damage opportunities galore.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:01

Finally vids with sound.>_<

Marco is truly one of the 2 undisputed S class characters in the game. Hope you Marco users are happy.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Wed Sep 21, 2005 09:03

I dunno. This game is starting to have the MvC2 feel to it where everyone seems to have their own seemingly broken thing.

Its hard to dispute that Kaede, Big and Marco seem to be the strongest, but most of the other character don't lag that far behind, except maybe Mars People (20 Legs and he still runs so slowly?- Mark) and Asura.

I think this game is going to have a good competitive variety (read: variety of characters who are viable in competitive play).

Vice Vecta
Almost there! ...74%
Almost there! ...74%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Vice Vecta » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:53

I can say I was more satisfied with this new batch of videos from TRF. Big's cheapness it's still on the roll! However, I luved how well performed Hotaru was (however, I still think she missed some openings from Marco). Marco's pressure was top notch. Never seen such offensive Marco in matches videos (neither in RL) before. that was impressive.

Let's see how's the development of other characters as times goes by. the game it's still too new to see the whole possibilities of gameplay.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:54

That still does not soothe the fact that Marco's conversion to a FG character is just plainly a mistake.

Big may be modelled after Billy and is hard to crack down on.
Marco is like SNKP's Cable. The argument that he is hard to learn/use is getting weaker the longer the game is out.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Wed Sep 21, 2005 16:19

Cable is a bad example. The truth is, that Cable was actually a very balanced character with the exception of 1 poorly balanced super- the Air Hyper Viper Beam. Without the AHVB, Cable was mediocre at best.

I don't know if anybody would argue that Marco is difficult to learn. I found him really easy to pick up.

Has anybody here tried GCFSing against his knife pressure patterns?

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Thu Sep 22, 2005 00:06

AcidicEnema wrote:Cable is a bad example. The truth is, that Cable was actually a very balanced character with the exception of 1 poorly balanced super- the Air Hyper Viper Beam. Without the AHVB, Cable was mediocre at best.
that's very truel, actually.....but i guess you can see some patterns from cable.....what i thought when i first saw marco was also "OMG cable".....the grenades for zoning and the overall keepaway style of marco just resembles him a bit....but i guess his knife stance makes him alright for offense as well......

people say yuki's top, but imo that's really not the case

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Thu Sep 22, 2005 05:07

The only thing going for Yuki is he does not lag much. He does not seem to have any "turn table" combos or even down b combos. Attrition + keepaway character?

Marco is similar to Cable in the sense that, with effective keepaway + damaging combos + high priority in moves = He has the advantage near or far from you.

Marco may have a slew of balanced moves at his disposal BUT the point is, give them all to a single character and you don't get a very balanced character.

Let's just say, if you lose when you are using Marco, you deserve it.

I would think the competitive variety will not really extend beyond to the whole roster. Perhaps give or take 1/3 of the roster would get more usage from players. (that is your top 10.)

Yet in this top 10, the majority do not have all 3 criteria listed above at their disposal. Only Big and Marco (Kaede too, I suppose) are that fortunate. Personally, I would rather fight 5 more Bigs than 1 Marco. They both elicit the feeling of "what an overpowered character" but at least you know that Big is a close range character.
Last edited by Empyrian on Thu Sep 22, 2005 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

Vice Vecta
Almost there! ...74%
Almost there! ...74%

Post by Vice Vecta » Thu Sep 22, 2005 07:47

Marco reminds me a bit of Ryuji Yamazaki, actually.

Both have excellente zoning, offensive and defensive field, good damage and variety, however, both are quite punisheable. I think Marco will be a mid-to-top tier in the tier list.

And about Big... I think be could be close-to-medium range chara. His kicks and some high priority moves can make him dangerous in medium and close range, IMO. Not to mention that most of those medium range attacks (say Standing C, D, crouch D) can be comboable easily.

BP
hunted by pedo police
A.K.A.:Leader of the Yoruzuya Dan
Currently Playing:Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, KoF XIII

Post by BP » Thu Sep 22, 2005 08:10

I still think the Big/Marco player knows how to handle his Marco pretty well during his matches...though I could also say that the competition in the recent vids for him wasn't so hot (except for the 1st vid's Hotaru), IMO. But yeah, he does seem to have quite a number of good points.

(I suppose we need a tier thoughts/rants/discussion thread, don't you think?)

Back on topic: Vulcanus has 4 more match videos up. Hopefully they'd be better than their last batch + have good sound.

http://vulcanus.web.infoseek.co.jp/movie.html

Fuu
hunted by pedo police
Currently Playing:by ear
PSN:OswaldK9o

Post by Fuu » Thu Sep 22, 2005 14:47

That Mai-Marco never played the game before, the rest ain't that great either i think.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Thu Sep 22, 2005 15:29

Watching Mudman is almost as boring as watching Big vs Big. -_- Is there absolutely NOTHING you can do to get out of that air dive or did the Kaede/Chonshu player just suck? :/

And yeah, the players don't seem to be too good in this batch of videos. That Mai/Marco player sucked to the high heavens :X

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Sep 22, 2005 16:11

ShadowSonic wrote:or did the Kaede/Chonshu player just suck? :/
Yep.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Thu Sep 22, 2005 16:28

ShadowSonic wrote:Watching Mudman is almost as boring as watching Big vs Big. -_- Is there absolutely NOTHING you can do to get out of that air dive or did the Kaede/Chonshu player just suck? :/
gcfs'ing at the right point in time will get you out of it.....i tried it today and i punished mudman good for abusing dive kick

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Fri Sep 23, 2005 02:56

Other ways of countering would include trading with it with fast high priority anti-air normals (Kyo, Hanzo, Fuma, Tung, Kim, Geese, etc d.C). Because the dive kick does shit damage, your d.C would do around 3X the damage.

If you're using a character without any of those, the best thing is NOT to get in the range where he can dive at you. For characters like that (Cyber Woo) you keep him out with long range normals (jump D, d.C). If he starts diving, run UNDER him and keep distance again.