Asura (NGBC)

Dream Match never ends!
Mr1337
Charging...85%
Charging...85%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Currently Playing:Demigod (PC), Drakensang (PC), Team Fortress 2 (PC)
Location:In my secret volcano lair, plotting world domination.
Asura (NGBC)

Post by Mr1337 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 23:52

The gothic samurai from SS64 2 returns and he looks badass. :evil:
Here is what I saw from his vid (any corrections or additions are always welcome):

-Has a projectile where he turns his sword into a bow and shoots 2 arrows.
-Has a move where he sticks his sword in the ground and a spike shoots up (might have anti-air capabilites).
-Shedomusa (turns sword into a spear and stabs the opponent) had fair speed. Might be good for poking.
-Eresu (move where the screen turns black and makes a big slash) had a BIG delay but I'm positive it will be unblockable.
-Momamu (turns sword into shield) reflects projectiles.
-One move had him turning his sword into an axe and slamming the opponent. Had a slight delay.
-His first super (spike shoots out and stuns the opponent and then slashes them) looked like a grab because Haohmaru had a "hit" frame.
-The other super (summons axe and traps the opponent in cage while he skewers them with muitiple spikes) did not look like a grab to me. It could be a super that activates when you touch him (not a counter but might have counter properties). Could work as a punisher for a jump-in.

Discuss plz.

Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much
A.K.A.:BROsuke
Currently Playing:A lot of things
PSN:KagaminKyousuke

Story

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Sun Jul 10, 2005 07:40

Being defeated after trying to defeat emperor Yuga, a man is a prisioner in another dimension. His name is "Asura".

"Asura" means "the one that betrays the gods". That name fits him very well. He uses the 7 legendary weapons, and he's the strongest hell's soldier.

He was sealed by Yuga's dark arts until the end of time. But Asura could finally free himself from that spell.

He escaped from his prison and he shows himself at the Battle Coliseum... to accomplish his vengeance.

Original translation by Nightlord.

Iori E
Almost there! ...80%
Almost there! ...80%
A.K.A.:Yayifications!
Currently Playing:Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

Post by Iori E » Sat Sep 10, 2005 06:06

I don't use Asura too well. But he's powerful in the right hands. Another character that's good at keepaway.

BTW, the move where Asura sticks out a long lance slightly upward (and his hair turns white)? That is not a special move. It's simply his standing C.

Throws

Travui
b/n/f+ CD when up close
Basic throw. Asura grabs the opponent, kicks, and then slashes with his sword. Not very spectacular.

Command Moves

Nolliennos
db+ C
Asura performs a wide swipe along the floor with his sword. This move hits low and sweeps the opponent off his/her feet. You might think there's no real difference between this and Asura's crouching D, but he can cancel into this move, making it nice for combos.

Reirrev
b+ D
Asura kicks lightly with short range, similar to Ryu/Ken's close standing Short Kick from the Street Fighter games. Since Asura only has the D button available for kicks, and D usually does a hard kick, I guess SNK Playmore chose to give him command moves for all his weak kicks (sorta like what they did to the Capcom characters in SvC Chaos).

Reisor
db+ D
Asura sticks his foot out along the ground. This move hits low. Other characters would use this as a crouching B.

Enirrev
f+ D
Asura does a light roundhouse kick to poke the opponent. Other characters would use this as a far standing B.

Lisserg
mid-air d+ D
Asura kicks lightly while in the air, completing Asura's normal weak-kick list that SNKP made for him because they were unwilling to devote an entire button to his weak kicks.

Special Moves

Suedomsa
qcf+ A/B/C
Asura's hair turns white as he takes out a bow and shoots arrows. The A button makes Asura shoot one arrow, traveling straight forward (easy to crouch under). The B button makes Asura shoot two arrows, both traveling slightly downward. The C button makes Asura shoot three arrows, two of which travel slightly downward while the other arrow travels slightly upward a bit before going down. The A-version of this move has the least startup time, while the C-version has the most. The C-version of this move is a good keepaway move because it's hard to jump over.

Rogehpleb
dp+ A/B/C
Asura's hair turns white as he thrusts a large spear into the ground. The spear thrusts upward from the ground at a different location, knocking the opponent down. The A button makes the spear appear close to Asura, the B button makes the spear appear at mid-screen, and the C button makes the spear appear almost a full screen away. The A-version of this move has the least startup time, while the C-version has the most. Another good keepaway move, but kinda tricky to use effectively.

Nommam
hcb+ A/B/C
Asura's hair turns white as he holds up a shield in front of him. If the opponent hits Asura during this time, he takes no damage and makes the shield stick out spikes that impale the opponent. In addition to being a counter move, this move also reflects projectiles. I'm not sure of all the properties of this move, however, because the counter part of this move doesn't always work and Asura can still get hit. It may have to do with the button pressed, because I don't know the differences between the versions. Also, I think this move can only counter high and mid attacks.

Eries
qcb,qcb+ A/B
The screen turns black as Asura prepares his sword in slow-motion. Then he slashes with his sword. The A button makes Asura stationary while he attacks, while the B button makes Asura dash forward quickly when he slashes. This move is most likely unblockable, but the long startup time and black screen are too much of a warning for the opponent.

Bubezleeb
qcb,qcb+ C
The screen turns black as Asura takes out a huge axe-like weapon in slow-motion. Then he slams the weapon (which is flaming purple) down onto the ground. The weapon can hit the opponent, and this move also doubles as an earthquake, which means that standing opponents will get hit no matter where they are. This move (the weapon, at least) is most likely unblockable, but the long startup time and black screen are too much of a warning for the opponent.

Super Moves

Legna-Hcra
qcb,hcf+ D when up close
Asura performs what looks like the A-version Rogehpleb on the opponent, and the screen turns black. I forgot which move Asura does next (not important anyway), but it freezes the opponent for a period of time. Then Asura finishes off the by performing the Eries. This move is an unblockable grab move, although it doesn't look like it. Like other unblockable grabs in KOF games (such as Clark Ultra Argentine Backbreaker), you can immediately tell if you've connected with this move simply by looking at the opponent during the starting animation. If you whiff this move, Asura still performs what looks like the A-version Rogehpleb, but the spear is transparent and will not affect the opponent. This move consumes 1 Super Bar.

Natas
qcb,hcf+ A/B/C
Asura takes out the same axe-like weapon he uses for Bubezleeb. He then slams the handle onto the ground. If this hits the opponent, a long sequence follows in which the screen turns black and the opponent is bound in chains. Asura first performs the Bubezleeb, and then follows it up with several Rogehpleb spears that all stab the opponent, knocking him/her away. This move comes out rather quick, but is blockable. I'm not quite sure about the priority of this move, since I've seen him get hit out of it, and yet I've performed it on wakeup before and it connected without any problem. This move consumes 2 Super Bars.

Combos

This simple low-hitting combo shouldn't be too hard to do.
crouching B (1 hit), Nolliennos, B-version Rogehpleb
This combo won't work if the opponent is in the corner, so I suggest using A-version Rogehpleb instead.

umgogo

Post by umgogo » Sun Sep 11, 2005 00:13

The mook lists these combos in addition to the one posted above:

hcb+B (Nommam counter activated, presumably) or qcb, hcf+D (L1 Legna-Hcra) into qcf+C (triple arrow Suedomsa) or qcb, hcf+B (L2 Natas)

(corner?)
qcb, hcf+D into dp+Ax2, Super Cancel into qcb, hcf+B

Er, is anyone else reminded of Blackheart in Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter EX Edition (the PSX version, where you can perform "EX Cancels", i.e. cancel one Hyper Combo into another)? :wink:

Also, for those who did not know, Asura's move names are supposedly names of demons, spelled backwards. The ones I recognize are:

Suedomsa - Asmodeus
Rogehpleb - Belphegor
Nommam - Mammon
Bubezleeb - Beelzebub
Legna-Hcra - Arch-angel (I believe he has a move called "Refi Shull" (= Lucifer, more or less, in SS64II - at least he does in the Neo-Geo Pocket Colour version)
Natas - Satan

For the record, Rasetsu As(u)ra in SS64II had move names that were reversed names of angels.

Iori E
Almost there! ...80%
Almost there! ...80%
A.K.A.:Yayifications!
Currently Playing:Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

Post by Iori E » Sun Sep 11, 2005 03:54

umgogo wrote:Also, for those who did not know, Asura's move names are supposedly names of demons, spelled backwards. The ones I recognize are:

Suedomsa - Asmodeus
Rogehpleb - Belphegor
Nommam - Mammon
Bubezleeb - Beelzebub
Legna-Hcra - Arch-angel (I believe he has a move called "Refi Shull" (= Lucifer, more or less, in SS64II - at least he does in the Neo-Geo Pocket Colour version)
Natas - Satan

For the record, Rasetsu As(u)ra in SS64II had move names that were reversed names of angels.
Iuvart, Sonneillon, Verrier, Rosier, Verrine, and Gressil are names of devils in a fallen angels' hierarchy according to Sebastian Michaelis in his book, written in 1613.

I should know; I was the one who figured out the demons associated with the names and wrote them backwards. (The Japanese butchered the names horribly while trying to spell the names backwards in katakana.)

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Sat Oct 01, 2005 02:45

Iori E wrote:Iuvart, Sonneillon, Verrier, Rosier, Verrine, and Gressil are names of devils in a fallen angels' hierarchy according to Sebastian Michaelis in his book, written in 1613.

I should know; I was the one who figured out the demons associated with the names and wrote them backwards. (The Japanese butchered the names horribly while trying to spell the names backwards in katakana.)
Sorry for off-topic but this one made me laugh for a second :)
I can more than imagine what you mean by "butchery" in this case :grin:

Anyway for that this posting is not entirely off-topic: You're doing a great job with your character "mini" FAQs.

Thanks.

--Blast

Ratix0
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by Ratix0 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 17:37

Asura looks interesting to play with.

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Mon Oct 03, 2005 18:35

Tried him out.

He definately isn't top tier or anything close but I though he wasn't that bad. From distance he is annoying with his arrows and the ground spear (dp-moves).
His pokes weren't TOO bad either, I guess.

I think he just dies to the fast pace of the game and the offensive capabilites the other characters have ahead of him.

--Blast

Ratix0
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by Ratix0 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 09:19

Has anyone experimented his shield? A B and C, whats the diff?

Also, has anyone tried the different buttons on his DM? Whats the difference?

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:08

Ratix0 wrote:Has anyone experimented his shield? A B and C, whats the diff?
It's the hit height. Same as for Geese's Counter. I think it was A for high attacks, B for mid and C for low.

--Blast

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Sun Oct 23, 2005 08:14

There is one particular combo that i personally like to use...
a simple d+B(1hit) cancel to natas... down b comes out fairly quick, the damage is scary as hell around 30% and it's the easiest and one of the most damaging combo in Asura's case... the only downside, it consumes 2 stocks... Asura's far from good but he is still not to b underestimated!! :evil:
Last edited by Franz Bonaparta on Sun Oct 23, 2005 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

Ratix0
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by Ratix0 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:09

^
Hehehe, nice user name. *Gets autograph for a Monster without name*

Ahem, anyhow, Asura's crouch B seem to come out a little slow. Priority isn't anywhere high too, I get hit alot trying to get his BnB out.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sun Oct 23, 2005 15:11

Blastrezz wrote:
Ratix0 wrote:Has anyone experimented his shield? A B and C, whats the diff?
It's the hit height. Same as for Geese's Counter. I think it was A for high attacks, B for mid and C for low.

--Blast
Actually nope. The official movelist didn't put any name difference between button versions, and I tried using B and C, and they only counter high and mid-level attacks. I'm also not sure if it reflects floor-level projectiles.

Asura's Bubezuleeb can only hit through the explosion. It's like Goro's earthquake in 2003: you have to jump to avoid it (crouching won't work). But the axe itself doesn't hit because I tried this against the CPU and it jumped as the axe was coming down.

Asura's DMs are really hard to use. Both of them have awfully short range, and they're slow to start as well.

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Sun Oct 23, 2005 16:19

Well his down b is pretty quick compared to other "keep away" moves that he's got.. the main problem is.. he's a keep away char... but his moves have sucky priority and generally take ages to come out , his stand c which is a pretty decent move, has a long start up... SNKP could have make it a bit faster, his qcf+A/B move is pretty gay, easy to duck/ jump over - not a really great zoning tool, except for his qcf C, slow but deals decent damage and has a better zoning capability. His nommam is pointless, and DMs have sucky range. Only his Rogehpleb worth mentioning especially his B version which could also be used as an early anti-air.

Moving on to his mind games... at a full screen range, he's pretty deadly... do a bubezleeb&some people might think ur doin an Eries instead and choose to move as far as possible hahaha gotcha... other ppl might jump over it at a last minute, in which u can do a stand C or dp+B (becareful they sometimes just simply whiff). Mid range, throw a few enirrev... if the opp blocks high do Nollienos cancel to dp+b or just do a simple db+D instead, if the opp blocks low, dash and throw...
In short range, there's a slim chance of landing his bnb combo d+b, db+c, dp+b or u want to go for d+b, natas(b version) which is better in my opinion, I dont know how asura will cope with rushdowners/close range fighters, one thing that i know is that his nommam is pointless against char that starts their bnb combos hitting low *cough kim *cough, one suggestion is to block the incomings and do a gct(guard cancel tag) and hope u have an A or S rank char as his partner hahahahaha

I onli play him cuz he looks bad ass aside from that blehhhh...
If u guys have any thoughts on how to improve my scrubby A'sra :( please do so and plz comment my post

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Thu Nov 17, 2005 16:12

Spent more time playing as asura... Jump, do nothing and perform his Legna-Hcra grab DM seems to work pretty well. I havent tried to dash and perform his DM grab, i always end performing a normal throw instead must be my bad reflex, must check wether u can do GCFs or normal dashes to DM grab.

Against an overwhelmingly agressive players, use his d+A,b+D then cancel to double team attack, not much damage but it keeps ur opponent at a full screen/mid screen range in which asura's best suited.

BTW, enirrev&jump B have a pretty good air to air priority, dun know much about his air to ground, since i dun jump much w/ asura except for setting up 4 his DM grab. Still waitin for additional inputs plz heheh