Post your team and how you use it (aka how it owns!)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:27

My new team: Sentinel, Magneto, Storm... no wait that wasnt right. Ok usually i go for Maxima, Ralf, Clark LDR, but Im into Shen woo and Shingo now. Shen is the best fist fighter in the game, better than Maxim and Shingo is an average char with a great LDM and a high surprise factor. As you can see any combination of Maxima,Ralf,Clark,SW and Shingo can kill any opponent with true sheer power, however they have no or little "battery" ability. In fact most of them relies heavily on Supers, eg Shen's need of his "anti-all" DM. So thats when I add one of these four chars, Vanessa,King,Ryo or maybe Mary. So you have it combinations of rosters: Rush-downers,battery chargers, Power, fireball-hog and Japanese-speaking Brazilian military personnels.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Fri Mar 17, 2006 23:10

got another experimental team which is getting quite a few wins indeed...

Kula
Malin
Vanessa (L)

basically, putting malin first gives me good pressure-zoning, and if im lucky i can land the vanessa infinite off her......if she dies (or i tag to kula :P ) then she can more easily set up the infinite than vanessa can for herself.....then if vanessa's the last one out there, i have 5 meter to do my random supers into dream cancels :P

vanessa's the whole point of the team really. The other characters just support her

starr
Is it a bot?

Post by starr » Sat Mar 18, 2006 05:47

Ash, B.Janet, Kula.

Yeah it's kinda a whore team, but this was my first KOF and before finding out all of them were kinda high tier. So it doesn't count if it's a whore team. ^^

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Tue Apr 04, 2006 13:38

The Unholy bitches are out of the question.

Anyway, when it comes to playing XI, I look for synergy and team balance. This includes quick shifts, but more about how one character can compliment the other in terms of gameplay and momentum change. If I have a Shoto in my team, I usually avoid using another character who's also a good Shoto, mainly because of the live switchin system of XI. If I need the Shoto to counter for example a hop whore, then I can theoretically just switch him in. This is assuming I have general knowledge of how each of the enemys' characters work.

So I usually look for teams with a character that has one of each of the three: offense, balance, defense. Then of that, there are usually subsets in each of the above categories: grapple, rushdown, counter, keepaway, shotokan, etc.

So far, my "team I'd take to the tourney" team would be:
Kyo, Ryo, Kasumi. Kyo's offense rushdown with shoto capabilities (good for keepaway whores like Kensou). Ryo is balanced offense and defense (I wouldn't call him a shotokan since his fireball doesn't move) through his ability to basically counter everything you do with his godly priority, and Kasumi is meant to TOTALLY slow the game down in my favor due to her counters and her ability to get past your guard with her (albeit short ranged) grapple moves.

Often the characters I pick usually have something they're good at doing secondarily. As I said before, Kyo with very very ghetto Shotokan. Kasumi can temporarily go grapple if the opponent refuses to attack her, and Ryo is just capable of doing everything BUT command grabbing you, but of course that's where tick throws come in to break your guard.

It's also no surprise that if Kyo is made leader, both Ryo AND Kasumi have easy QS setups for his Dream Cancel combo. Kasumi and Ryo can also setup basic juggles for each other, though neither are horribly damaging, but still the option is there.

There's also a few other teams I'm trying to mess around with.

Mary, Vanessa, Kyo with the leader slot varying between the three. See KoF XI game41 vids as to why I picked this team.

Malin (!!!), Duo Lon, Kim/Terry with either Malin or Duo Lon as leader, preferably Malin because she has a twitch LDM.

My friend's main team, K', Iori, Shen with Shen as leader. Basically the "who the hell needs the QS" team.

Maxima, Ramon, Griffon. All grapplers, but each with a different style. Too bad nobody here has an uppercut or projectile.

And the list goes on and on. Sometimes I also play teams with a particular "theme" so I don't have to worry about "losing" a playing style if I lose one member of the team in a match. Basically, if you see me picking a particular member of a team, know full well that I at the very least briefly went through that character's compatibility with the rest of the team before picking them.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Wed Apr 05, 2006 00:22

hypothetically, maxima/kula/oswald could be potentially a top tier team. maxima and oswald alone have a death combo, and kula can set up a 75% no stock combo for oswald anyway.......

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Wed Apr 05, 2006 02:53

Normally I'd prefer to have K' and roulette the other two. XI has no character that I utterly hate using, though getting Momoko, Whip and Gai together in a roulette probably means my match isn't going to last very long. :grin:

Gai rocks BTW. Just that I'm pathetic with him. :-P

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Wed Apr 05, 2006 03:11

~!T.T!~ wrote:hypothetically, maxima/kula/oswald could be potentially a top tier team. maxima and oswald alone have a death combo, and kula can set up a 75% no stock combo for oswald anyway.......
I tried using Maxima and got owned badly by jumping whores. Maxima's big body frame just makes it so easy for Kyo and the likes to crossover with jump B. Then I have to claw my way back with Duolon and Ozwald.

As more and more combos (Especially QS ones) are discovered, I have noticed my team format changing to keep up with the new combos.

Started with

Kyo(L), Ozwald, Duolon to

Kyo(L), Duck King, Duolon to

Duolon(L), Duck King, Malin for QS madness to

Duck king, Duolon, Ozwald(L)

If I want a safer team against jumping whores, i would go

Malin(L), Duolon, Ozwald. Having Malin with 5 stocks as last char is really "safe"
LOL.

ever since that nasty 75-80% QS combo with Duolon and Ozwald, I have changed my team to include both of them. haha.

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Wed Apr 05, 2006 05:08

What the...IMO Malin, Duolon and to a lesser extent Oswald are terrible against rushdown characters unless ur playing with average players only

When the randomiser gives me :

Whip, Tizoc , Athena : Uh oh.... (and this has happened several times already)

But my personal favorite team is Gai (over Kyo), Shen, Oswald (L)

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Wed Apr 05, 2006 08:07

J]-[UN wrote:What the...IMO Malin, Duolon and to a lesser extent Oswald are terrible against rushdown characters unless ur playing with average players only

When the randomiser gives me :

Whip, Tizoc , Athena : Uh oh.... (and this has happened several times already)

But my personal favorite team is Gai (over Kyo), Shen, Oswald (L)
hmm, never had that problem when I used them here (Perth) or when I was in SG.... jumping whores, pokes, what have you....Yah I know they are really bad at beating rushdown chars..but I am used to blocking rush down attacks and getting out of them...Come to think of it, Does your guard crush metre recover when you tag out?

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sat Apr 08, 2006 03:32

maxima more than makes up for his sluggish movement with his damage and QS'ability. his autoguard is still surprisingly useful as well

principal panda
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
XBL:BadoorSNK
PSN:BadoorSNK

Post by principal panda » Sat Apr 08, 2006 23:21

Gato(essential)
shingo
ryo
k'

leader-gato:
even though i dont know how to use gato's LDM on its own i mainly use it as to DC after his qcfx2 P DM(very effictive and damaging);

leader-shingo;
qcf+C SC LDM is my favorite combo,otherwise i use the LDM after qcfx2+P/dp+K
leader-ryo:
anti-air/hcb f+D SC qcfhcb+P DC LDM dizzy qcfhcb+P:
leader-K':
great BGM :D other than that i dont pick him as leader:

I tried to get the hang on Oswald but i didn't get much time with KOF xi yet, maybe when the PS2 port he can become part of my team.He is definatly fun to play with.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sun Apr 09, 2006 01:05

That's the Big Dilemma I have when I pick Kyo. If I pick him as a regular character, he's solid, but he loses an angle of attack that is "weird" for a character like him. I also don't get The Best Track in KoF XI if I don't pick him (Kyo was the reason why I picked him first in 98, because Esaka? > you). If I pick him as leader, sure I get a good LDM and The Track - Track 21 New Order, but that also means I can't put him as a frontrunner because of how good he is with his LDM...

Decisions decisions.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun Apr 09, 2006 09:19

Iie-Kyo wrote:That's the Big Dilemma I have when I pick Kyo. If I pick him as a regular character, he's solid, but he loses an angle of attack that is "weird" for a character like him. I also don't get The Best Track in KoF XI if I don't pick him (Kyo was the reason why I picked him first in 98, because Esaka? > you). If I pick him as leader, sure I get a good LDM and The Track - Track 21 New Order, but that also means I can't put him as a frontrunner because of how good he is with his LDM...

Decisions decisions.
The discourse in current literature suggests that a shift in assumptions undermining Leader-usage has occured in the last month or so. (whoops. Been studying too much. %@#$## research papers).

*resets*

Well like we were discussing in the team management thread, starting off with a leader is perfectly fine. Just play till you land your first/second Doku and QS into another character who's good at ending QS combos. Or if you're not getting in, then shift out, anyway, since there is something wrong with a match up where Kyo can't even land 1 Doku-chain.

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Sun Apr 09, 2006 14:40

My main team consists of Kyo (L), Shen Woo and either Ryo or K'. Against CPU I usually just go with the random order thing, but most of the time I'd start with Shen. He's a good QS starter and ender. QSing at SHEN WOO HEADBUTT, PUNCH Lite and whatever else makes him a very solid QS guy. Most of the time, when I do a QS, I switch to Kyo who proceeds to finish off the combo with something like a Dokugami chain or an ON combo, or a DC combo to establish some lead. That depends on how many skill stock Shen used, though.

Theoretically, if all goes well my Ryo doesn't get to come out at all. I only use him to stall the opponent, or need a counter character. Or just because I got pwned and Ryo's the last guy in my team. =P

Or, if K' is in my team I can start off with him since he does perform okay without stocks, and he can charge stocks for Shen Woo.

Most of the time however, I just get wiped out by Oswald/Kula teams. Also my staple characters also need to get close to be effective too.

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Sun Apr 09, 2006 18:56

After a couple months of practice under my belt (I still need to work on my QS comboes damnit), I'd have to say that my team has now changed to:

Ramon, Shen Woo, and Duck King.

--------

Ramon:

I usually put Ramon first to build meter (at least a meter and a half) and setup for QS comboes (dp+K x2, dd+P FTW), I've found that staying airborne with him and properly mixing up anti-air with his Tiger Load (qcb+K), j.C, or j.D. Although he has that badass combo with qcb+C still in, I'm unsure of the timing and just do st.C, df+B, qcb+A (or hcf+A). If I want to practice the timing or if it's a fun match I put Ramon as leader as well to set up (through QS) into his LDM.

Play Style: Tricky Mixup into bread and butters or command throws.
QS: dp+K x2, dd+P sets up both into and out of QS combos. If Leader can be QS'd in to hit j.D, st.C, dp+K x2, dd+P, LDM

--------

Duck King:

Duck King is the master of mixup and rush down (for my play style at least). His d.A has amazing range and priority and can easily combo into his st.B, f+C chain. Anything after the f+C is cake and sets up for a sick ass wake up game with Dunk Feint both air and ground. Break Spiral has ridiculous range and can be thrown out of no where provided you buffer it. When not chewing up meter through his Beat Rush and Break Spiral supers, Duck can generate massive amounts through his standard comboes. Due to Duck's difficulty into comboing his LDM, I usually leave Leader responsibilities to someone else.

Play Style: Pure Rushdown into wakeup mind games.
QS: Can combo into his Rush DM without need of a skill stock, allowing quite a long QS combo (details later).

--------

Shen Woo:

Shen Woo has now been one of my favorite characters since 2k3 and I'd have to say he's still as badass as ever. st.C is one of the best anti air and anti rush down normals out there. d.C is just as dangerous as an anti air. His rushdown style is brutal and heavy, only requiring a few hits to cause massive damage to the opponent. d.B, d.A, qcf+K x2 requires only a stock of meter and can set up into QS comboes or his LDM (which can cause massive damage). qcf+A is a great poke and Meaty E allows mixup with qcf+E. Shen Woo's command grab sets up perfectly for super cancels, QS or just enough damage to kill the opponent. LDM by itself has massive damage on counter hit and has insane invincibility. j.D, or j.C jump in mixup leads to quite nasty comboes on its own. Generally if it is a serious match I stick with Shen Woo with Leader because his LDM has combo and anti risuh down quality's. Plus landing combos while powered up will generally kill a character after two.

Play Style: Nasty foot games into hard hitting comboes.
QS: Shen Woo can set up into his head butt super, his head butt super sets up into QS as long as you have the stock.

currently I'm working on the following QS combo.

Shen Woo d.B, d.A, qcf+Kx2, QS Ramon j.C, st.C, dp+K, dp+K, dd+P, QS Duck King j.D, d.A, st.B, f+C, hcb,f+P. that should only cost 2 skill and 2 stock.