Anti-character strategies

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
_KC_
Charging...80%
Charging...80%
Anti-character strategies

Post by _KC_ » Wed Mar 01, 2006 14:54

well, for the past month or so...ive been dealing with some nasty KGO teams...

i made this thread to get the players to share their tactics against a KGO team or any team that sports one of them...or share their weaknesses if you are a KGO user...

any random tips should be vital and well aprreciated.

K (ula)
- never make a "blind" jump towards her as she will dp c you...make your jumps unpredictable...
- look for her stand c 2-hit and counter roll if she likes doing qcf a after it or a hcb b...
- be sure to punish her if she miscued a df b, sometimes it goes out when you keep on rolling becuse of change in directions
- you can dp, DM, or any move with invincibility when they are standing B'ing you to death...

G (ato)
- as a tip, the most common strings gato players use are jump d, down bx2, down d...you can DM, blahblah them before their sweep appears...maybe you can hop towards them also(?)...
- pressure him with hops if he aint got DM stocks...hop attack, empty hop then grab, empty hop then low attack...
- jump b is a cross-up and is very fast, roll against it

O (swald)
- try counter rolling his sweep since most of the time they follow it up with a forward a
- same with G, pressure him if he aint got stocks...
- always look for his jump c since it is an easy cross-up, roll against it

peeps lets get on with this thread...i think this will be very helpful to a lot of players

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Wed Mar 01, 2006 18:38

Oswald:

Imo, the key to fighting Oswald is distance. Oswald has a very specific distance that he needs to be in to really get dangerous, and that's anywhere around and within 2/5 screen range, where he can use his two most dangerous moves to try to angle in a combo: hop C and down D. Personally, I try to stay outside that range unless he screwed up in some way that allows me to get in with a frame advantage.

I do quite okay with Terry, for example, who does pretty well with a constant stream of A Power Waves and runaway jump D's and spaced Knuckles and Shots.

With Duck, I zone with his slide and rolls until I find an opportune moment to rush with jump B/C/D. A warning. d.A>s.B>f+C> QCF+ A blocked string *can* be interrupted with Moon Slasher during the roll for counter damage. Very effin painful.

With Shen Woo I zone with stand C and stand D (watch out for his down D tho) which basically shuts down all air approaches that Oswald has. Shen Woo's hop D into hop C rush down is also pretty hard for Oswald to defend against cause of the huge hit sprite of the jump D.

Kula:

One thing I find most important: Never ever let her corner you. Control distance like against Oswald with the added awareness that you must never let her push you into the corner, don't give unnecessary ground, cause once you're there I swear she's 2X more dangerous.

christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by christensenray » Thu Mar 02, 2006 02:47

Gato users tend to spend a lot of time in the air with his qcbA/B moves and his jump attacks. Get a character with some decent air priority to combat him mid-air. Its slow going, but you'll beat him eventually. DONT jump in if he has stocks, as you're asking for a qcfx2+K in the face. G cant do anything at a distance, so if you're a fireball scrub, you might do ok. People over use his qcbA/B moves so much that if you're patient, you can see it coming and use an appropriate DM/LDM (both Kyo's DM's work well, Ossies qcf,hcb+P; anything that'll get full hits on an airborne opponent.)

Kula often does jA, land, jA, just to get that free hit when you crouch block waiting for a low combo. Be ready for it. Her sC is VERY vulnerable to rolls. She can be THROWN out of her LDM.

Oswald: Unbeatable (He's my main character. I'm NOT giving tips on how to beat him).

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Thu Mar 02, 2006 04:58

Edited the topic to broaden the range of the topic; Feel free to request/post advice on how to beat specific character X in this topic.

Hmm. I should probably do a post in the READ THIS FIRST topic linking to all the main topics of interest now that this forum has filled out with content nicely...

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Thu Mar 02, 2006 05:36

OK, then...can someone tell me exactly how to play against Eiji? it seems whatever I toss at him gets either reflected or outprioritised by whatever he throws out. It's even worse when he does that anti-air move which super cancels to fireball DM, knocking off a chunk of my lifebar.

I remember reading in the Eiji thread that he dies to rushdown, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about rushing him down if all my rush attempts are being outprioritised by his crap.

Characters I use: Terry (leader), Shen, K', Kasumi.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Mar 02, 2006 05:53

ShadowSonic wrote:OK, then...can someone tell me exactly how to play against Eiji? it seems whatever I toss at him gets either reflected or outprioritised by whatever he throws out. It's even worse when he does that anti-air move which super cancels to fireball DM, knocking off a chunk of my lifebar.

I remember reading in the Eiji thread that he dies to rushdown, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about rushing him down if all my rush attempts are being outprioritised by his crap.

Characters I use: Terry (leader), Shen, K', Kasumi.
Against Eiji, patience is very important. Eiji players thrive against opponents who hop/jump/fireball carelessly. My gameplan against Eiji in general is to push cautiously until he's in the corner, then jump in and pressure. The main reason you want to get him in the corner is so that he can't backhop> qcf+P you as an anti-air. Until you get him in the corner, you want to keep on hitting him out of the air, and only do shadow high jumps from mid distance, where even if he back hops, you'll still get him.

Once he's cornered, his anti-air options are very limited and you want to take advantage of this by going full-scale on your hop pressure. Good Eiji players will know this and try to teleport out of the corner, but if you anticipate this, you can still punish him for teleporting and keep the pressure on.

Eiji's ranbu can be used defensively, because its so friggin fast. However, its got very limited invulnerability, so if you think the opponent is gna use it, make sure you're sticking moves out. E.g., press the attack very early for your hops.

Don't:

- Throw fireballs carelessly. Its not the reflect you should be afraid of. Its the 7 foot chi blade that's gna slice into your balls.

- Hop in an open screen. back hop> qcf+P (counterwire)> Super = 40% anti-air.

Do's:

- Block and throw him if he does early jump B's for pressure (one of the Henvoke vids with a Kyo vs Eiji has a wonderful demonstration of this).

- Learn the range of your jumps.

- Bait his fireball super and reflect it if you're Oswald. (A.k.a, the Scruffy "Haha P'wned" Special)

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Thu Mar 02, 2006 06:03

AcidicEnema wrote:Eiji players thrive against opponents who hop/jump/fireball carelessly.
Blargh, that describes me pretty well >_>

Thanks for the tips.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Thu Mar 02, 2006 06:14

On a side note, Eiji tears K` limb by limb so try to not match them together. XD

Eiji's simplicity seems to work pretty well against Kula and Gato.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Fri Mar 03, 2006 14:29

oh, wow, eiji......his wakeup is pretty much limited to his ranbu (well that's all you should be scared of really, unless he's leader). I find if you get directly on top of him most of the time you can own him good (think about fighting doom in MVC2). Again, rushdown is great against eiji because he'll be almost forced to waste meter in the form of a baited super or a CD counter.

I have heaps of problem against people like gato especially due to the fact that none of my characters can match him air-to-air. Even if i keep him grounded and i anticipate palm super and roll before it hits me, he always seems to recover first. Beats me in the air, beats me on the ground. what on earth do i do? oh, and about shutting down his rushdown, easier said than done =/

but ash is one of the characters i have the most trouble against. Overprioritised jump D and E, and crouching A as well deserves a mention. For some reason i have the most success interrupting him with duolon's standing E to try to him him out of his air attacks, but more often than not i'll trade or even lose out.....

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 07:10

Could someone help me with some anti-Kensou strategies?

There's a lame arse at my arcade who's scrubbing his fireball and his little Burn Knuckle ripoff. I'm getting outzoned by him because I can't rush him down, and because the screen's so huge, it's downright impossible for me to get to him before he ends up reading me.

My normal team consists of Kyo, Ryo, and random.

What can I do to get past his attempts at zoning me away with the fireball and Burn Ripoff? If I try to jump him he either DMs (lol Shoto) or does his rdp + K, which seems to have gained priority.

Much appreciated for your help.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:20

Iie-Kyo wrote:Could someone help me with some anti-Kensou strategies?

There's a lame arse at my arcade who's scrubbing his fireball and his little Burn Knuckle ripoff. I'm getting outzoned by him because I can't rush him down, and because the screen's so huge, it's downright impossible for me to get to him before he ends up reading me.

My normal team consists of Kyo, Ryo, and random.

What can I do to get past his attempts at zoning me away with the fireball and Burn Ripoff? If I try to jump him he either DMs (lol Shoto) or does his rdp + K, which seems to have gained priority.

Much appreciated for your help.
as an avid Kensou user, all i can say is:

Kyo: Abuse qcf+A autoguard property (and hops)
Ryo abuse fwd. B+ any special

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 23:35

The problem with hopping over Kensou's fireball is...

It's very tricky to hop over it. It travels at the perfect speed and has the hitbox to require you to be VERY precise with your hop. Not even Athena's Psycho Ball is that good. What's worse is, Kensou kneels when he throws it, and it looks like the fireball appears from closer to his arm, which allows it to be a pretty decent antijump.

In either case, that's what I've been doing with okay success, but I was hoping for a more direct approach to getting through that keepaway bs. :D

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:11

Of course this is all theory fighter stuff. But the obvious answer is to try general walking and rolling forward, he should spam c.A into lunge punch or a meaty c.D into fireball, if not this should be your way in. The rdp+K has a bad habbit of hitting only once and not knocking down if the roll gets behind Kensou, and obviously fireballs don't do anything in this situation so if this is truely all he does then take him apart.

Also I'd be careful with the Kyo qcf+A's, I know I have a pretty good success rate with Kensou's hcf+B against people who telegraph it, the autoguard more often than not doesn't help in situations where you are trying to get close and not already close. But yeah if he isn't following the fireball in then you probably should just stay on the ground. And in the worst case scenario pick up another backup char who can specifically handle that type of play (Yuri/Jenet/K' instantly pop to mind.)

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Wed Mar 29, 2006 16:42

I've played this match up quite a few times. IMO Kyo has a slight advantage in the match up. If you time a hyper-jump (not hop) over a fireball correctly, you *can* combo him.

I'd recommend Yamibarai'ing psycho balls that you're not confident of jumping over, rather than the Aragami. Less timing required, just as effective. Feel free to use Yamibarai randomly from 3/4- full screen away, just to mix up with your rush down attempts. Main thing about this is to make him feel that throwing psycho balls is 'pointless', since you can nullify them with your own fireball.

rdp+ D from max range is good too. If blocked, dp+A catches d.D attempts, and stand B pokes/hop B rushes down effectively from there.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 19:46

Yeah, I figured as much. I'M STILL NOT USED TO KYO HAVING THE YAMI BARAI BACK.

The main problem I have here is the fact that he knows how to followup the psycho ball with something. I tried running and rolling the moment he threw it - I ended up eating a Burn Knuckle ripoff. Perhaps I rolled at the wrong time, eh?

So in general just do a hyper jump in reaction to him throwing a fireball? His C version fireball has less lag, can I still cap him from the recovery lag even if he throws this version?