Syo Hayate

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:16

Forgot to add:

Seems that the Boomerang Throw can be followed with any special that doesn't involve a boomerang. DP+K and QCB+K work just fine for me. I'm also able to do the air rush, thought it might be because i haven't tried using him as leader.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Mon Mar 27, 2006 07:50

Point form rocks:

b+C -> Multirang was knocking down an average stamina full life bar by about 35-40%. Can't argue with that to be honest.

That corner qcb+K, (air) qcb+K, dp+K will work when they are all Ds. The mid-screen version of this (wiff air qcb+K) actually does better damage than I originally thought.

c.A, c.D looks like a one frame link. I'll be dropping it from my list of combos. qcb+K after the sweep will send Syo flying up, but it won't connect.

Magaki's pink sparkles don't reflect/negate boomerang, so I doubt anything does. Remember it'll also cancel out other fireballs and keep going. I'd like to see if it stops super fireballs.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Tue Mar 28, 2006 14:23

Daily post. Actually had vs CPU time today so I can add stuff!!!

Super Cancel time is actually stupidly strict on dp+k, will only come out on the first spin and the cancel has to be almost instantly after it. You simply can't mash the cancel out since there isn't enough time between motions. Can't be mashed out on the qcb+C either since thet'll trigger the followup instead. If you have the time don't even bother with the cancel just go straight into multirang.

c.B, close s.D seems to be the best general chain. close s.D, f+C if you have a guarenteed hit (I'm pretty sure you can add a s.B beforehand if really close.)

qcb+K keeps getting cooler and cooler. qcb+K, (air) qcb+k (hit), followup is very viable midscreen. Timed right you can still hit the ground first and get a dp+K out. But it is quite possible (and not all that hard) to drop a bit earlier, and hit them as they pass over your head behind you with kicks warped hitbox. This actually gives you plenty of time to land and do a qcb+C, qcb+C in the other direction (dp+k doesn't get full hits with this method, they end up a bit further away than if you drop down on the same side.) qcb+K, instant d+C (two hit version) also has you landing first, I'll have to see if the pirouet comes out in time.

What else... Syo's hitbox while kneeling down to do qcf+C boomerang is really small. Also someone right next to Syo can not be hit by the qcf+A boomerang (it starts well in front of Syo.) Same thing for homerang, and yeah this means anyone standing right next to him as he lets go of the super has to block the wrong way as it instantly returns to him. Could even be a juggle after this since there is a bit of float after the homerang hits.

s.A, c.D is another link, a few more frames to work with than the c.A version. I've also got to try and incorporate air b+C into something.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Tue Mar 28, 2006 18:15

Ah the boomerang keeps on going after negating a fireball, but it can't *hit* anymore. It only has one hit per throw (and zero hits on the return trip, even if it ate air on the way out).

I've been able to get the counter damage on Multi-rang by using it against full screen jump in's.

Despite its looks, far stand B is actually pretty bad as an anti-hop. Just gets outprioritised all over the shop. Stand A is better.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Tue Apr 04, 2006 14:39

Yeah, this was getting bogged too far down.

A certain other thread helped me remember that b+C against close people is an obvious (and pretty good) option-select between with dodge and throw. Once again doesn't help against spamable chars (I'm starting to think Kula vs Syo is one of the worst matchups in the game along with DuoLon/Momoko, Oswald/Momoko and Gato/Athena)

I should of covered ages ago that air boomerangs are thrown down at a 30 or so degree angle and also take forever to actually come out. So what happens is that more often that not it only gets thrown just before Syo lands and ends up travelling right through the bottom of the screen. Anyways it straightens out after a while and travels horizontal. I've had occasional luck doing one of these late throws and then jumping u/f. The boomerang seems to hit for a few frames while it's coming back (more vertical angle because of the jump.) So to cut a long story short you can throw a boomerang down off the bottom of the screen then get it to pop up right behind the other person for a single hit crossup. On the rare occasion you get the space to try it this setup isn't totally impractical.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Tue Apr 04, 2006 17:29

Hayate's air boomerang is a little slow, and I doubt he's the type of character you want to start crossups with.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Wed Apr 05, 2006 01:08

I guess I should of emphasised a bit more why it can be useful.

In relevant situations (after a down, while opponent is on mobile phone, while opponent is fearing your standing boomerang)

a. Normal jump, throw boomerang at apex. It will finally come out about half a character's height from the ground.
b. Wait a bit
c. Normal jump on in (I find the guy's hop terrible)
d. Do a normal jump-in combo, if spaced and timed right the boomerang will hit them from behind just before your jump-in attack

Even if the boomerang gets blocked I'm sure the jump-in from the front would be an absolute pain to block in time.

70-80% impractical sure, but I have done this in competitive matches since I first noticed it can hit like that.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Wed Apr 05, 2006 02:39

Slapper Joe wrote:I guess I should of emphasised a bit more why it can be useful.

In relevant situations (after a down, while opponent is on mobile phone, while opponent is fearing your standing boomerang)
LOL, anyone who's playing KOF while on a mobile phone is gonna be open to anything you throw at them. But yeah, I noticed Hayate's boomerang can hit while it's starting its return path, for about 1/2 second after it fully arcs out. In short, Hayate's boomerang works a little like Basara's Sorasahi/Chisashi moves.

BTW, for his qcf,qcf+P move, does the homing boomerang disappear when Hayate gets hit?

I swear I'm getting sick of the word 'boomerang'. I utterly hated writing Hayate's move descriptions by the 3rd time I wrote the B-word.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat Apr 15, 2006 21:11

b+C> Multirang is seriously all around goodness, and seems to connect no matter what.

First, is the fact that it autohits anybody who saving shifts in.

Second is the fact that the b+C actually has a pretty huge hitbox. It seems to work as an anti-normal jump, without using the invulnerable frames. I've hit an oppoent who was behind me with b+C before too. Wierd, that.

Third, I'm getting the impression that b+C actually sets up a free juggle against aerial opponents, because against opponents jumping at me, b+C> Multirang always connects, even when I'm not getting the 'Counter' message, and I'm pretty sure that the Multirang *isn't* an all juggle move. If b+C does set up a free juggle, I'm sure there are some nasty QS combos just waiting to be done.

DP+B> Homerrang hits waaaay more often than it should. Next time, I'm gna try b+C> Homerrang to screw with people who block the b+C.

I really should get in the habit of Quick Shifting off every dp+B. Its safe if blocked + instant mindgame, and a combo if it wasn't. And considering that it's Syo, there should never be a want of skill stocks anyway.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:57

b+C > Multirang is punishable on HIT with a forward recovery roll. His one good thing gone. He is still better than Momoko and Athena though......

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Wed Apr 26, 2006 13:23

Slapper Joe wrote:b+C > Multirang is punishable on HIT with a forward recovery roll. His one good thing gone. He is still better than Momoko and Athena though......
actually, was it near the corner? i seriously can't remember, but for all of you wondering, DL's crouching A was the punisher

and yes, even I say multirang should be safe

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Wed Apr 26, 2006 16:29

Got to play him a little today. Here's what I found out:

-Multirang disappears if Hayate is hit. The thing has a weird hitbox, and only seems to hit at the start. I remember my opponent practically walking right into the boomerangs at a distance without getting hit. The boomerangs definitely can't hit while returning.

-Homerang doesn't disappear when Hayate is hit. I got hit by Clark's UABB while doing this, and the boomerang just kept hovering around Clark for about 3 seconds beofre disappaearing.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Thu Apr 27, 2006 00:23

Wasn't near corner. Since knockdown time and recovery roll distance appears constant I don't think it would matter anyway.

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Thu May 04, 2006 03:32

Has anyone encountered this bug before?

I can't remember what happened in the middle, but Sho and my character's move (I think it was Iori) both traded hits, after that when my opponent was running away to a corner, I did a jumpCD which got in and Sho flew OUT of the screen =.=;

I thought I downed the Sho because he had little life left...but then after 3 seconds we realised something was wrong because nobody was coming in.

Everything went back to normal as soon as his Sho jumped out of the corner again though (at least I think it did....I killed Sho as soon as he appeared again so he didn't have a chance to try again).

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Thu May 04, 2006 05:22

hmm, so what are his safe BnB combos?
Which moves are save to spam on block?

I have been reading down B, Stand C, df C, qcb B etc..

but all your comments don't seem to point in the same direction..

any input is greatly appreciated.

Ta