Best Character Combinations

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Fri Feb 24, 2006 18:20

Any good first characters to recommend? I'm having Shen, and usually Kyo is my leader, but I don't like putting Kyo first since he's the leader and getting him killed early is bad. Any good first character which doesn't require much stocks to be effective?

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Fri Feb 24, 2006 20:26

Characters I would use as first, in my order of preference:

Ash, Iori (why would anyone *not* use either of them as first? Ash does well jump D'in and throwing fireballs all day, and Iori doesn't need meter to corner and hop C you to death. Not a coincidence that both are priority whores with easy non-super BnB's).

Duolon (doesn't really need stocks, one of the best QS starters.)

Duck (ditto. High stun means he doesn't need stocks to do serious damage either)

Terry (goodish battery with A Power Waves and spaced Crack Shots and A Burn Knuckles, decent QS starter with Power Charge, doesn't *need* stocks)

K' (yes, he's awesome with meter, but he does pretty well without it too. Jump CD takes the place of jump D this year for presssure. Ein Trigger is slow, but still good after back hops. Double that for Minute/Narrow Spike. Plus, he builds meter nicely.)

Other candidates:

(Kula and Gato are up there somewhere also, but... meh)

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by frionel » Fri Feb 24, 2006 23:48

Shen can also be a good strater, since he can press his oponent and has crazy mixup game that don't need any super meter

And with just one simple combo, he can call any other character into combo using super...

Add to this the fact that at the begining, oponent can't use saving shift, and has no power stock to use counter E or random supers... so it's totaly free for Shen...

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sat Feb 25, 2006 00:19

vanessa for me almost always is my starter. She can move in and out easily and if you can keep your opponent grounded, has a really, really good ground pressure game (but if you fight ash whoring hops, then it's a different story :P ).

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Sat Feb 25, 2006 02:40

I would definitely go with DuoLon or Duck despite having Duo Lon as leader. Since they are such high pressure chars, starting with no power stock for the opponent to counter E is ideal for them.

Besides, being able to do nasty combos and stun damage allows you to build you power bar a lot faster than most other chars. once the first skill stock is avaiable, you can set them up to tag other chars..I normally get at least 1 power stock by the time i get a skill stock... and with the above combination, Duolon combo tag into duck combo into duck DM, or duck combo into Duolon's 10 hit combo.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat Feb 25, 2006 04:46

Oh yeah. Speaking of the opponent not having stocks to blow you back, two others come to mind: Malin and Benimaru. Pretty self-explanatory really.

King is also pretty good for starting. One of the few characters in the game with an effective full screen keepaway. Awfully painful non-super BnB too :-(

Among the secret characters, Gai followed by Jazu are probably the best starters. (only one I haven't really seen played is Hayate).

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sun Feb 26, 2006 04:51

Most people should know by now but anyway...

The best QS starter/finisher characters imo should be Maxima and Malin. (Shen woo too?)

I don't know about you guys but I don't really mind if I have one character down. It seems to me that the game promotes 2 character style gameplay.

edit: The free stock and being able to hold 4 stocks are major plus factors. XD

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sun Mar 12, 2006 05:30

found out yesterday that Mailn's qcfX2 B/D super launches high enough so you can QS to Vanessa and start her infinite, which is why i put malin in my team now instead of shen sometimes......now i have 2 infinites ^^

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Mon Mar 20, 2006 04:57

For those who haven't been watching the Henvoke vids:

Maxima/Oswald can dizzy in a single 1 QS combo. (Maxima) Jump C> s.D> f+A> qcf+PX2> QS Oswald> Jump C> s.D> df+A> 3 hit ending with Spade

geist
Charging...35%
Charging...35%

Post by geist » Wed Mar 22, 2006 04:17

kula/ryo/anyone with a QS able launcher + vanessa/gato

corner=50-75%(gato) or one full character+full bar/judgement(vanessa)