Whip

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer
Whip

Post by AcidicEnema » Tue Jan 31, 2006 17:51

Ack. Poor Whip doesn't even have a thread. Does anyone even play her?

I've been messing with her lately. IMO she's stronger than she was in 2k3, but still weak.

- DM isn't invulnerable.
- Boomerang shot has piss poor priority.
- Jump D has been weakened considerably. Used to have uber priority in 2k2. Gets beaten pretty easily now.
- Overall, she seems to have no way of competing in a hop vs hop battle. She's better off keeping the distance trying to land a jump CD and going for the cross up.
- LDM gets damaged scaled A LOT when the opponent is low on life. This pissed me off to no end.
- stand B*2> d.B> qcb,hcf+P DM misses randomly The DM seems to miss sometimes. Maybe I should be skipping a B?

I'm no Whip player. Maybe FCL could say something more. The last point was really annoying tho. Anyone knows a use for her new Red Genocide DM?

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Re: Whip

Post by Tel » Wed Feb 01, 2006 15:52

AcidicEnema wrote: - LDM gets damaged scaled A LOT when the opponent is low on life. This pissed me off to no end.
A lot of moves suffer serious damage scaling when opponent is nearly dead. Try Clark's LDM on Adel when he has less than 20% health. The thing does less than 10% damage!

But going back on topic, Whip is pretty poor in XI. I can't win jump-ins at all using her now, be it with C,D or E. And her new DM is poor, and only there as an option to Dream Cancel it.

I love kula
Charging...23%
Charging...23%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by I love kula » Fri Feb 03, 2006 22:16

I should be ashame for forgeting about whip, she is one of my favourites, yet playing with her is like wanting to loose...agains top players that is. What teir is she anyways? I thought she would be better, but all those tone downs made her even harder to play with...wish she gets better next time...

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sat Feb 04, 2006 17:29

well i always thought whip had too much priority in the older kofs.....good thing they toned that down :P :P

also is her new DM safe? if so, you might be able to have it blocked, then catch an opponent trying to retaliate with a second one....i dunno, but someone did this to be a few weeks back. thing is i blocked the whole thing. didnt try to retaliate after her DM since i had no idea on its recovery time

crossups are still good, although obviously not as good as pre-2k3

christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by christensenray » Wed Feb 15, 2006 04:23

I believe that if you block the first 2-3 hits of the DM, you can kick her arse while she still swings her whip around. So, yep, she completely sucks this time around. Shouldve kept Leona instead...

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Wed Feb 15, 2006 17:34

The good thing abt whip is that she sets up QS nicely this time around!! 3rd behind Gato/Ryo imho! That b b down+b, Sharu We Dansu? DM is a great set up for QS'! Ur in a big trouble knowing that ur opp gonna QS after N^th hit of that dm! I fought a great player who uses Whip/Kula/Ralf the other day and took 80%++ damage just by QSing to Leader ralf!! Ive never seen ne1 whiff that combo.. i think ppl tend to do that B B pretty fast so that it doesnt create a big push-back effect

christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by christensenray » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:39

^^ Did you say far C was cancellable now?

That's something good atleast...

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:25

Everything of her's except c.A and c.D can be cancelled to special/DM.

D`Cloud
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by D`Cloud » Sun Jul 16, 2006 13:42

overall she lost several good things that makes her decent in 2k3.

G-Product
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by G-Product » Sat Jul 22, 2006 00:04

will Whip has never been top tier in anything she's always been poor ms. bottom tier (will I dont think there's a Mr.???) but anyway

They needa bring back her one move she last had in NW & 2k2 where she drops down from the screen if you can cross-up opponent on wake-up back-n-forth then u have an immediate death for n00bs lol

She also needs her crouching C (2 hits) juggle with super like in 2k

Also for her swing they need make it knock the opponent away from her or something I mean she lands right next to them wtf lol.

Desert Eagle can combo omg :salute:

can juggle to hcf + P off of any AA standing normal so that is a plus

Standing Bx2, crouching B is a nice addition. Flexible and verifiable way to land a combo

Her throw bounces the opponent to about max sweep range so that's a plus. I mean she's Whip u want ppl far away...am I right lol

Jumping C is a cross-up. Not the best cross-up (oh fuck U Ken) but still works confusing since not many cross-up's include a whip

Her new super is pure garbage. Can only be comboed off of strong attacks which means no Bx2, crouching B to qcfx2 + P so fuck that super if ya ask me

Best zoning moves to me are

Crouching A, Neutral Jump C, standing C, f + A or jumping E is also decent

I believe you cannot juggle with anything after a crouching C (2 hits) except Desert Eagle but I maybe wrong so if it hits as anti-air go for
HCB + A (hits high)
HCB + C (hits low)
acceptable mix-up game

Lynko
Charging...85%
Charging...85%

Post by Lynko » Sat Jul 22, 2006 02:42

No, Whip was really good before 2k3 and after 99, but it didn't have to do with the wierd hyena screaming DP move, she was far from bottom tier.
Also, so THAT's how you land that new DM. I've given up trying to use the thing because it hardly ever connects, has no invince time at the beginning (I seriously miss this on all of her L/DMs, I loved using them as a sort of a counter) and you can easily hit her out of it =/

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Mon Jul 24, 2006 17:41

Turns out you can combo her hcbB anywhere in the screen after a deep crossup C, dwnC, fwdA x3.

The trick is to hold down the B button after hcbB and walk forward for a split second before releasing it...but it only works once because the opponent either gets pushed too far away or gets knocked down, so no Kim style 2k1 infinite :(

D`Cloud
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by D`Cloud » Tue Jul 25, 2006 02:54

her dm lost priority from 2k3 which really suckx. i wouldnt mind if it stayed like in 2k3 where she continues the move even though if it missed... as long as it has its invinciblity. but now, you are safe when you miss, but you couldnt counter anything with the DM if life depended on it.

G-Product
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by G-Product » Tue Jul 25, 2006 02:59

her DM had priority?

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:17

After playing against her extensively, and playing around with her myself--if used correctly, she can pretty competant and hold her own. Hence, I believe she's AT least a B/C rank, definitely not the E rank I keep seeing posted around the forums. Yay/nay?