Gai(XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Thu Sep 14, 2006 20:41

Can anyone post a comprehensive move list for Gai? I've been wanting to play him but don't kno any of his other commands.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Fri Sep 15, 2006 05:27

Considering I play this guy as much if not more than Sho I really should of posted some stuff. Check other places for a movelist, they are available, just remember he doesn't use his special moves in the typical way.

- I'm really torn between j.B and j.D. They are both better than Kyo's in theory but his terrible hop makes them mediocre on offence in actual play. He will win air-trades cleanly most of the time though (B does well even if he is the first to stick the limb out.) The B is the better QSin attack.

- Practice the timing on his MashDash (qcb+E, f+X*n.) This lets you get the timing down for pretty much anything, you'd just replace the dash with the move.

- You have to think ahead when doing MashDash->TriChoke. You get crossed up easy by a hop/roll when coming in and will end up doing the b+X instead. I tend to find the backfist better in this situation (can sometimes hit jumpers and has a better recovery.) So if you are 3 dashes away make sure that last dash is a punch.

- MD->TC is easy to wiff because of the set distance of the dashes. I'd say never try it from more than 2.5 dash distance away. Easier to see coming (and get you crossed up.) Plus it makes you look desperate.

- Backfist can be ducked in chains (not a big deal since if they do that you get free overhead options from moves and from QS) but it can also wiff on distance, so watch the pushback before hitting back.

- If you have the timing down from above, the same works on dodge->choke. You can get it out really fast once you practise (c.A, dodge, choke.) Works best if you let the stick hit neutral right after dodge and before grabbing. Once you have the combo down, practice the tick timing.

- Like I mentioned elsewhere, wiffing stuff builds meter like Gato.

- ALWAYS end combos that push near the corner with uf. Close D eats recovery rolls for breakfast. Free backturned combo after a 40-50% combo is the goods. Outside I guess the d is better (unless you are LDMed, then use uf and the tech below.) Damage is near identical.

- Standing B pressure is the fun. Especially once you can pick what is a close B and a far B. Cancel those close B's when you know the other guy is going to do something stupid. Sure beats just hitting those starting frames of the roll with another B.

- The LDM df+B is an awesome tech-catch (Tekken terminology ahoy!)

- Avoid a jump in with the dodge and the meaty after with a chained groundfall.

- Remember to waste all 5 levels of meter on his charge up when you are ahead on life.

- Unlike what other places are preaching, Clark isn't a particularly bad matchup for him. If you are at f+D distance then you are fine. If you are at Clark's optimum distance, do what every other character has to do. Calmly get out of it. There is no reason why his avoiding stuff should negate throws. That would be stupid.

- A lot of character's blocked combo distances are a nice spacing for Gai to throw out a f+D. Then b+D or go into chain depending on situation.

- Random s/c.A's are pretty good.

- Blocked chain->df dash->generic grab is good to use on people who can see the high/low and you have no meter to lame them out with a QS. You can't reliably mash out a roll escape like you can in most QS mixup situations.

- Regarding Rush. Do the f, f, b then just keep doing the df until you see it come out (a gut punch, first f of a normal chain) then do each motion after you see the previous attack come out (it is MashDash timing again.) Base ending hit on the stuff above.

- Super Shadow Gai is the best colour (E+A.)

- I've QSed out after a d in a chain and it hasn't knocked down a couple of times now. Not sure how that works, pretty sure it was actually hitting.

- Is it a triangle choke or just a armbar? Meh....

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sun Sep 17, 2006 14:02

Slapper Joe wrote: - Super Shadow Gai is the best colour (E+A.)
Word. Absolutely love that colour. Wish they'd put that colour scheme for the other charas too.

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Mon Sep 18, 2006 22:04

one thing to ad, the range of the f+D is awesome, learn it and your opponent wont feel secure until he is on the other end of the screen.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Wed Sep 20, 2006 01:17

Other stuff:

- During a string remember a QS overhead is quicker than the U.

- His anti-air standing A has to be one of the best in the game, shame there is no guaranteed damage after it.

- (blocked) f+D, qcb+E, f+X, hcf+E can work really well. If you mess up the timing then a generic grab is usually good. And if the timing on that is bad you will generally end up with a close attack that allows you to try the whole thing again.

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Wed Sep 20, 2006 16:36

Slapper Joe wrote: - Remember to waste all 5 levels of meter on his charge up when you are ahead on life.

- Is it a triangle choke or just a armbar? Meh....
what does his charge bc the damage doesnt really change, is there another use?
it is an armbar.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 03:42

dobiqwolf wrote:what does his charge bc the damage doesnt really change, is there another use?
Damage is increased by an alright amount but you waste the meter when you are going to win as a huge cocky taunt.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Thu Sep 21, 2006 07:41

Gai's DM doesn't power him up to such a significant degree the way Kensou or Shen's LDM do, but the damage difference is noticable in combos.

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Thu Sep 21, 2006 19:48

I can see the difference in damage, I was just wandering if they was another use.
thank you for the replies

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 17:50

i found another use for the power up DM, you need 4 stocks and 2 skills
activate LDM then in corner:
j.D>s.D>dwnfwd D> dp C>SC DM>dp A> SC DM> dp A

it is an infinite if you have infinite skill point and stock.

when LDM activated, qcb+D cover half the screen and cannot really be punish (need to confirm), it is a fast move and an overhaed.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Thu Sep 28, 2006 05:33

dobiqwolf wrote:j.D>s.D>dwnfwd D> dp C>SC DM>dp A> SC DM> dp A.
You can land knee into dp+c * 2 outside the corner or other useless stuff like d,d+A, u->qcf*2+P, qcb+E, b+P.

I've taken a habbit of doing E, qcb+E, b+P midscreen a lot. On CH the backfist comes out fast enough to hit. E is a lot faster than it looks and avoids lows pretty much on first frame. You can go into dodge super-fast after the E comes out :d+E, db, b+E (does negative edging work? should try...). Free anything on hit, safe on block, even repeatable against some characters. Plus 1/6 of a level on wiff, even more on block.

I've also been trying to work out his A tiering. Considering this game is about 60% mindfuck, 25% rushdown on offense, 10% zoning and 5% broken moves/game engine it sort of makes sense. It is pretty hard to pick a really wrong option with Gai in bad situations (high stamina, thin hitbox, good jabs, lack of mash'n'hope options.) To put it basically, it is hard to rape him.

Noisetank Crew
Charging...23%
Charging...23%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Noisetank Crew » Wed Oct 04, 2006 07:06

what the hell is dp+C??

I still dont see how gai ia A ranked.

I need help with Gai vs eiji, Gai vs Tizoc and Gai vs Gato. WHY is eiji so damn safe? ANyone one have any anti strats against these charcters? Or does anyone know which moves are punishable (gato, tizoc)

Tizo normals are so over powering :(

Ratix0
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by Ratix0 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 13:29

Hmm... Been using gai for a long time, but I still have problems with him. I generally ca ncatch people with Gai and rape their first few character suntil they get used to my gai's playstyle...

I am quite limited at what I can do... Get close do his basic BnB, spam dB, try to catch opponent with a QCFE QCBE... I hardly get a chance against someone who can pressure me like no tomorrow.

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:38

Ratix0 wrote:Hmm... Been using gai for a long time, but I still have problems with him. I generally can catch people with Gai and rape their first few character suntil they get used to my gai's playstyle...

I am quite limited at what I can do... Get close do his basic BnB, spam dB, try to catch opponent with a QCFE QCBE... I hardly get a chance against someone who can pressure me like no tomorrow.
dont forget to use 214+E>8+P/4+P, 8+P is an uppercut and 4+P is the backfist.
the stand A is a really good anti-air so if you opponent hop like crazy, a few stand A will make him stop; about gai grab, people are use to it so dont use it, what I mean is dont overdo it, people will expect it and will act a certain way to avoid it like jumping so what you do is the 214+E then any other move like the uppercut , the back hand or the overhead.

Ratix0
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by Ratix0 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:27

Hmm... I just reread the thread, it seems like u can continously chain his QCB+E, f+X... .... ...?
f+X any number of times then the move u want?

It seems quite useful when trying to pressure a foe...