Gato (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
7d3j
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
Gato (XI)

Post by 7d3j » Mon Jun 13, 2005 13:42

Wait... is he even in the game...?

Sorry, I just wanted to know if he is a babyface or a heel... he looks so nasty in 2003 and that was the first time I got to know this character... :mad:

Well? Help? :D

Xenogias
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Xenogias » Sat Jul 09, 2005 14:05

Sure, why not, I'll ask the first question -

Does he continue to play like he does in '03? Cause I still prefer him in Garou: Mark of the Wolves. Hese got some useless moves (air dash across the screen, wtf? This aint boyz in the hood, you dont hit and run!).

I mean, he may have more things in '03 than in Garou, but I still liked his little dp kick. And the moves he had in Garou are pretty much all that he needs. In the next KOF (that is, after XI) he'll probably get that move.

Plus his counter animation is now used for guard cancel attack which aint that bad but I prefer the counter itself (instead of wasting a whole bar for one). I still donno much about Gato in XI.

Moriya
Charging...99%
Charging...99%

Post by Moriya » Sat Jul 09, 2005 18:21

Gato is my favorite Garou character, yet I HATE KOF Gato. The main move I used was the dp + Kick, and he traded it for a bunch of useless moves. Not to mention how ugly his DMs look... I really wish they would return his dp + K and, now that they're in the Atomiswave, fix his DM effects (although the latter isn't that important).

Anti-K'
MOAR
Currently Playing:Persona 4, Melty Blood Actress Again, BlazBlue

Post by Anti-K' » Sat Jul 09, 2005 19:25

2003 Gato did suck. He wasn't even half as good as he was in MOTW. XI Gato better play like MOTW Gato, or at least closer to him.

Cascade
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by Cascade » Sat Jul 09, 2005 19:28

I must be the only guy who liked KOF Gato as much as MOTW Gato. To me, the important things were left intact. His heavy moves had a lot of hitstun, which in Garou I used to get myself some space and disorient the opponent. His fwd+b still is fast and damaging. He wasn't perfect though; some things should have been changed.
His kick super needs better start up or invincibility at the beginning, because it's his only real anti-air besides qcb+k, b. It could hit more times too, that would be nice.
I would have liked to see his dp+k move back as well, the Heaven Walk. I used that move very often, and was sad to see it go.
I DON'T want the new moves removed. I love them because from a distance, it gives Gato a great guessing game and makes him so much trickier than he was in Garou. I also happen to like his airdash. Few other characters can cross the screen almost instantly in mid air. It gives me a great method of escape when things get too hot and Gato is about to get cornered. I also happen to like his air throw from that move; it's great for surprise, similar to Akuma's SF Alpha and Third Strike dp+k jump, then throw.
Gato is very slow IMO, so they just need to up his damage and defense a little. I would like to see him stay a very tricky and difficult-to-use character, instead of being scrubby like MotW. In that game, he had damage, power and comboability, and a move that gave him a free cross-up. I feel that he was a bit too powerful, although not really that unbalanced. Here we see Gato become a different kind of character, who is maybe a little too weak. That could change if they just tweak his damage a little, in my opinion. He could be very dangerous.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sun Jul 10, 2005 05:11

Gato does not suck in 2k3. His running speed is among the fastest too.

His kick super is very good, but it needs to have more horizontal range.

His normal moves are actually one of the few more damaging ones.

Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much
A.K.A.:BROsuke
Currently Playing:A lot of things
PSN:KagaminKyousuke

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Sun Jul 10, 2005 07:55

Gato did not suck in 2k3. He could do some interesting mind games, and that's what I liked from him.

... his sprite, in the other hand, needs to be redrawn ASAP :|

Xenogias
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by Xenogias » Sun Jul 10, 2005 22:19

Well, I never said he sucked (though you were also incluting and speaking to everyone else that did say that).

I just thought Gato played better in Garou, just wanted to know if he would atleast he his dp+k back. Isn't there any info on Gato in KOFXI?

Monpochi
Cancel Combo Mode
A.K.A.:Credens Justitiam

Post by Monpochi » Mon Jul 11, 2005 04:35

I used him for a short time, and can't bear with the follow up moves. haha... Me no patient.. Me bad.

Is it me or is his reach short?.. O_o;

Persona
last rank
last rank
A.K.A.:BANNED
Currently Playing:BANNED

Post by Persona » Thu Jul 21, 2005 18:11

MOTW Gato is better cuz most of the MOTW roster is limited to stuff compared to him.

Put Gato in a game where others can compare to him in many ways and you got KOF Gato.

And IMO, Gato doesn't need his dp K ever in KOF. He's good enough just the way he is in 2003. Whether he has to be played differently from MOTW or not.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Sat Aug 13, 2005 04:03

Persona wrote:MOTW Gato is better cuz most of the MOTW roster is limited to stuff compared to him.

Put Gato in a game where others can compare to him in many ways and you got KOF Gato.

And IMO, Gato doesn't need his dp K ever in KOF. He's good enough just the way he is in 2003. Whether he has to be played differently from MOTW or not.
Yes, that's exactly the case; they changed the 'almost boring top tier' Garou Gato for a more interesting and fun to use Gato, that was the way to take.

I think that the only two things that 2003 got right where Gato and Shen Woo.

dipolartech
Is it a bot?

Post by dipolartech » Fri Sep 30, 2005 08:54

A major difference between KOF2k3 Gato and MOTW Gato is the priority and invincibility of his dm's. To be honest you can barely use them to punish laggy or unsafe moves 2k3. Like qcfx2+A might hit oh i dunno a Heat Drive but trades hits with a standing C. And for an anti air dm sucks period. Why? because its horrible at sticking to the oppenent and its ok safe once you touch ground much like Kyo's ldm but you could shove a Haoshokoken up his butt if you come of the dm after the first hit. So i don't use his supers nearly as much as other characters he's much more of a battery in Kof2k3 (or an episode of DBZ... CHARGE UP!) besides with all those wonderful mix up moves at his disposal your opponent should die of brain meltdown. I would like one or the other of the dms to be picked up to some symbalence of MotW power just give him the ability to really stand toe to toe ( or toe to face f+b) with the high damaging characters (like K' 2k3).

Burningfist
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Burningfist » Thu Oct 13, 2005 00:29

2003 Gato was waaay more fun to use than Garou Gato, only thing that made Garou Gato more interesting was just defends. 2003 Gato has much more of a Third Strike Gouki on crack thing going, Garou Gato plays like....everyone else in Garou who is insane.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat Oct 15, 2005 21:37

If you want damage from Gato in 2k3, learn to do his stand A*2> LDM/DM combos.

I'm a bit worried about how his roll> grab will be in XI. It was good in 2k3 because they cut so many of the grab invulnerable frames in the game. Even if they take out all the 'for free' grab opportunities, I hope its still useful.

Being able to attack off his air dash sounds *very* interesting.

I hope they keep the low recovery and fast cancebility of his qcf+A> f, f +A. f, f + A was very useful as a ghetto burning knuckle.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Oct 26, 2005 16:04

From the latest match vids:

The first hit of Gato's QCFx2+P DM can be Quick Shifted. In the vid you see Gato doing this, tagging to Kula, who does her Freeze Execution LDM. Since it knocks down on the first hit it might be fairly easy to follow up with a DM of your choice.