Kyo (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Fri Dec 29, 2006 23:02

Do a move with a character that sets someone up to get flown high into the sky, quick shift out of it, then...

qcf + A (whiff), hcb + K (make sure the last frames of it hit.. make sure they land on the flame before they land on your fist), opponent goes flying, qcf + A (whiff), hcb + P (whiff), P

Yeah it's a stupid combo, but looks kinda cool at the same time. :smile:

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 05:19

At the request of the forum mods, I'm writing a very mini-ghetto-ass-faq for Kyo. Feel free to correct/add.

Using American notation.

The Moves
f + B (overhead)
df + D (can be 2-in-1'd into a special move with or without a preceding normal)

qcf + A (Aragami)
--> qcf + P
-----> P or K
-----> hcb + K
--> hcb + P
-----> P, B, or D
--> hcb + K

qcf + C (Dokugami)
--> hcb + P
----> f + P
-------> dp + P

dp + P (Oniyaki)
qcb + P (Yami Barai)
qcf + K, K (75 Shiki Kai)
rdp + K (R.E.D. Kick)

qcf x 2 + P (Shinken)
qcb, hcf + P (Orochinagi DOT COM)
hcb x 2 + E <LDM> (Kamikura)

Best pokes: far B, far D, qcf + A, qcb + P
B&B (outside corner): std C, df + D (1 hit), Dokugami chain or
std C, qcf + D, D, rdp + B
B&B (opponent cornered): std C, qcf + D, D, , qcf + A (Aragami once), qcf + A (Aragami twice), hcb + K, dp + C (SC into
Low combo: dB, dA, df + D (1 hit), Dokugami chain
Best jumpin: jB (ABUSE)
Best air to air: early j. C, early j. D
Best anti-air: dwn C or dp + C
Best quickshifting move: second hit of Dokugami chain

Basic strategy - As a Kyo player, your main goal is to cornerfuck the person. Kyo is meant to rape cornered opponents like no other. All his moves move forward, which naturally gives him the forward momentum required to do the damage he can do. hop B like a madman and take advantage of the XI stun to get combos in. Make them block pressure strings like std C, f + B, qcf + C. Take advantage of Kyo's hop speed, it's one of the faster hops in the game, and it's meant to be like that for a reason. Play high-low games with empty hops into his low B Dokugami chain combo.

Psych your opponent into sticking out a poke so that you can use the autoguard of the Aragami to punish them. Stay in the guy's face and be merciless. Don't let them get away from you - if they do, you always have the Yami Barai now to meet them at their game. Abuse his far B and learn to QS properly with him, he is an excellent person to quick shift and out of.

I'd write more but I ran out of "general" statements to write. :P

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Sun Dec 31, 2006 06:10

Iie-Kyo wrote:At the request of the forum mods, I'm writing a very mini-ghetto-ass-faq for Kyo. Feel free to correct/add.

Using American notation.

The Moves
f + B (overhead)
df + D (can be 2-in-1'd into a special move with or without a preceding normal)

qcf + A (Aragami)
--> qcf + P
-----> P or K
-----> hcb + K
--> hcb + P
-----> P, B, or D
--> hcb + K

qcf + C (Dokugami)
--> hcb + P
----> f + P
-------> dp + P

dp + P (Oniyaki)
qcb + P (Yami Barai)
qcf + K, K (75 Shiki Kai)
rdp + K (R.E.D. Kick)

qcf x 2 + P (Shinken)
qcb, hcf + P (Orochinagi DOT COM)
hcb x 2 + E <LDM> (Kamikura)

Best pokes: far B, far D, qcf + A, qcb + P
B&B (outside corner): std C, df + D (1 hit), Dokugami chain or
std C, qcf + D, D, rdp + B
B&B (opponent cornered): std C, qcf + D, D, , qcf + A (Aragami once), qcf + A (Aragami twice), hcb + K, dp + C (SC into
Low combo: dB, dA, df + D (1 hit), Dokugami chain
Best jumpin: jB (ABUSE)
Best air to air: early j. C, early j. D
Best anti-air: dwn C or dp + C
Best quickshifting move: second hit of Dokugami chain

Basic strategy - As a Kyo player, your main goal is to cornerfuck the person. Kyo is meant to rape cornered opponents like no other. All his moves move forward, which naturally gives him the forward momentum required to do the damage he can do. hop B like a madman and take advantage of the XI stun to get combos in. Make them block pressure strings like std C, f + B, qcf + C. Take advantage of Kyo's hop speed, it's one of the faster hops in the game, and it's meant to be like that for a reason. Play high-low games with empty hops into his low B Dokugami chain combo.

Psych your opponent into sticking out a poke so that you can use the autoguard of the Aragami to punish them. Stay in the guy's face and be merciless. Don't let them get away from you - if they do, you always have the Yami Barai now to meet them at their game. Abuse his far B and learn to QS properly with him, he is an excellent person to quick shift and out of.

I'd write more but I ran out of "general" statements to write. :P
good read,
if u are cornering the opponent, you can use down B to prevent your opponent forward rolling out of the corner after being swept off the ground.
stay in the range of ur stand B/C. if he rolls, Start combo with Stand C. Else, poke with stand B or abuse jump B as mentioned.

For style points: Jump D, Qcf D, D, run forward Dp C SC into Qcb, Hcf Punch DM =)

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sun Dec 31, 2006 18:45

Most people here don't really like to do down B, down A, Df D to Dokugami chain though.

They prefer to do down B, stand C, F+B instead.

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Sun Dec 31, 2006 19:09

Thanks Iie-Kyo, that's basically what I meant.

For other veterans who'd like to contribute - you don't have to list the moves if you don't want to, I know that's kinda troublesome and might be too low level for you guys.

Also another thing that might be nice to add is matches where said character has a particular advantage or vice versa, and tips that might help e.g. what to do with Kyo against a character with solid anti air options.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:55

Empyrian wrote:Most people here don't really like to do down B, down A, Df D to Dokugami chain though.

They prefer to do down B, stand C, F+B instead.
yeah, i pretty much do down b, stand c as well.....while the pros for using it are probably not very notable when compared with down b, down a, d/f d, they can turn the tide of a match. for instance, stand c has a better hitstun, and while it lets kyo recover slower than a crouching a, it pushes back, allowing more spacing mindgames. also, you're a lot more screwed if the opponent blocks and rolls through the down b, down a, d/f d chain.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 21:41

Good point, dwn B, std C, f+ B, qcf + C gives you like... 2 seconds worth of time to hit confirm, but I mentioend the low B low A combo because I know some players tend to like those tip tap tappy combos (I don't). Even if the dwn B, std C link gets blocked, you can still go forward up to the qcf + C and be completely safe.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sun Apr 08, 2007 17:36

Kyo's Far C is unSSable. Generally useless though. XD