Ash (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Xenogias
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Xenogias » Thu Jul 28, 2005 17:11

I actually like Ash how he is now.

One of my favorite combos (w/ enemy on corner)

j.HK or HP, (land) s.hp, b+lk, qcfx2+hk

It connects but its got to be like right at the start of his recovery from the back+lk. I have a timing for the super by doing a somewhat slow 360 motion which is easier than trying to look at what animation within Ash to perform that qcfx2+hk DM.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sat Jul 30, 2005 09:34

Well, as long as Ash can beat people with 3 moves alone, I don't think many people will subscribe to Persona's comment on tweaking his gameplay.

PaGaN 3l3m3nts
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by PaGaN 3l3m3nts » Sat Jul 30, 2005 09:45

I just hope the computer's AI is better against Ash this year... In 2003, 99% of the CPU characters would just stand there and wait to get hit by Ash's strong projectile. Fore the very few people that actually tried to jump over it or *gasp* BLOCK it, all you had to do was switch to the weak projectile, and immediately follow-up with his uppercut. It is FAR too easy to fly through the whole gam eon difficulty 8 with nothing but perfects as Ash... Then again, I can think back to '99 and remember how half the characters would eat Second Shots, and the other half would jump as soon as you did Ein Trigger, so a Second Shell was a guaranteed hit... So, I'm confident it'll be fixed. I hear his projectile takes longer now, so hopefully that'll play a part in it.
Ash seems destined to be one of the characters with worthless Dream Cancels... Unless you can do something insane... Like maybe his qcf, qcf + BD in the corner, then interrupt the last ground hit with Sans Culloted-blahs, and start wacking them with repeated d, u + B, juggling them a few times? However, that seems highly unlikely... Or maybe a Thermidor you insantly come out of by cancelling to San Cullodes, allowing you to wack them with more things than you'd normally be able to while it rides through them? However, the fact remains that even if you COULD do any of these things (which you probably can't), it wouldn't be worth all your SklS and PwrS... Not compared to what other chars could do with it. However, I do feel the only possible use of it with Ash, Shen, and Duo would be if it made their LDM occur in an instant, letting you skip both its start-up and any recovery time from the DM you cancelled from, so you can get an extra hit in... But with no stocks, still seems worthless to me. Bah.

PaGaN 3l3m3nts
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by PaGaN 3l3m3nts » Tue Sep 06, 2005 18:59

Well, based upon the new KoF XI video, we see that Ash was a new DM... You can see his PwrS decline by 1 when he does it at the video's end. He vanishes, a trail of emerald flames shoots across the floor at light speed, and then Ash appears at the end of them with his arms crossed in front of him. Friggin' awesome looking move. The video also shows Ash doing his hcf + C throw, then Super Cancelling into Sans Culitades (or whatever), which also hits the opponent, knocking them higher. He then hits them with his B uppercut, and seems to cancel it into his A projectile. Then, as the projectile is hitting, he performs the new DM, comboing. I suppose you can do the ol' Thermidor stun into the new DM as well... The juggle propery of Sans Culitades should also make his qcf, qcf + B or D Dream Cancel into it effectively...

-4n'Dant3-
Powering up...89%
Powering up...89%

Post by -4n'Dant3- » Tue Oct 18, 2005 14:51

yeah, so i got to this topic a little late.

remy in 3S is a handful because of his ES abilities. his charge times are very short - Light Of Justice has zero lag and Cold Blue Kick is an excellent pressure move. his standard attacks are useful, since LP and MP come out quickly and are very combo friendly. couching HP and flash kick = good damage. Also, he has long limbs that can nail his opponent from every direction. crouching HK is his greatest asset though, since it allows the player to charge safely (unless the opponent parries it, then that's a different story.) If Remy misses a throw, his lag is very short when compared to the shotos. Getting back to the ES, if used correctly will force the opponent to block low or parry which allows the player to close in on a throw. The mind games are also there, since the K+K version of Light of Justice must be blocked low. The parry timing in his ES moves are very hard to perfect - especially for the Flash Kick.

Remy's 1st super is 7 sonic booms thrown at the same time. VERY hard to parry, nice chip damage, and a sure hit if comboed from ES Sonic Boom. It also offers near zero recovery time. his 2nd super is like Ash's (ie the kicks,) and i choose not to use it because it is when blocked, or mistimed in a combo - extremely punishable. I don't like missing it and then getting pegged by a shin-shoryuken, deadly double combination, or shun goku satsu.

safe to say, remy is the most advanced charge character - in my books better than kain. Ash can never be a player friendly character unless SNK decides to at least shorten his recovery and charge times. the KOF engine is way too fast for a charge character to survive in; especially against more skillful players.

Burningfist
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Burningfist » Tue Oct 18, 2005 15:23

Remy is nothing compared to Venom when it comes to playing "advanced". I like the guy but he's basically spamming fireball like Guile and using charge partitioning, something that everyone in Third Strike can use (though some may argue if it is half as effective with the other cast). I have to say Super 2 is way better than Super 1 against shorter characters, Super 1 has some serious issues comboing against the top tiers because most of them are short. Ash looks like he'll be a monster in KOF XI, and considering that he's a pretty decent character design; that's good news. :D

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Tue Oct 18, 2005 18:12

-4n'Dant3- wrote:the KOF engine is way too fast for a charge character to survive in; especially against more skillful players.
Leona and Heidern. :P
And possibly Choi.

Monpochi
Cancel Combo Mode
A.K.A.:Credens Justitiam

Post by Monpochi » Wed Oct 19, 2005 04:57

@ Pagan Elements

I just re-read the 3 Sacred Treasure Story, that new DM of Ash, might it be because he was able to get Chizuru's powers?...

Whatever it is though.. gameplay wise it looks much more dangerous than K's similar looking DM.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Wed Oct 19, 2005 06:06

-4n'Dant3- wrote:yeah, so i got to this topic a little late.

remy in 3S is a handful
hmmm, keep in mind he's also pretty much bottom tier.....crappy stun bar, low stamina and everything mean that if Akuma gets him in a big combo, kiss 3/4 of your life goodbye

but i'd agree with you on the fact that he's a complicated charge character, especially with the charge partition.....ash is the exact opposite, though......

back B
flash kick
projectile
ball super

Rinse 'n' Repeat

-4n'Dant3-
Powering up...89%
Powering up...89%

Post by -4n'Dant3- » Wed Oct 19, 2005 15:57

i dunno, guys..

i've played a lot of players and different characters and i'm almost always the one who comes out on top. true, remy might not be that great a character, but he's still really difficult to play against if you use him correctly and know how to change your gameplan for different opponents (granted, that takes at least a round.) The only characters who consistently give me problems are yun, Q and makoto. Yun's super 1 loop and overall speed, Q's DD Combination (2 frame startup mofo) and high stamina and makoto's zero start up kick super which i only realised today had to be blocked high. :(

Against ARK, i find their styles to be very predictable, considering the time and amount of games those shotos have been in. There's only actually been once where i was dumbfounded, and that's when the guy became the turtle :S . Akuma i find is easier to beat, since he takes damage like a pansy.

Leona, Heidern and Choi arent really like ash or remy... i guess what i meant to say was 'guile clone.' L and H have a few handy command moves and are good at close range fighting. Choi is just a little bitch... hahaha.

BUT... i definately am hoping that Ash will kickass this year. guile clones are my forte and i just don't find Ash that handy.

Burningfist
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Burningfist » Thu Oct 20, 2005 23:11

Remy is no doubt a very off the wall character, his resets aren't that great, but they are useful for the relative ease of use. Overall I'd say his biggest issues are the low stun bar and lack of real damage. He can build meter pretty well, and can run away better than any other "slow" character in the game. I agree Makoto is a very hard match unless you play a really defensive / poke the living crap out of your opponent Remy. Anyone who can stun very quickly can be a big problem for Remy, his ability to get the hell out of the way and recover his stun is a moot point against Makoto because of her insane Abare Tosanami (Super 2) and even against Alex, two mistakes is pretty much a free stun and another 40% tacked onto whatever got you.

Monpochi:

Interesting point, Ash did inherit some insane powers, I doubt these upgrades will be his last really crazy ones. I definately think Ash will be a good leader, unlike in 2K3 where his most useful combos as a leader were mostly a novelty.

Monpochi
Cancel Combo Mode

Post by Monpochi » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:31

Hmm.. in 2k3... his LDM hits the opponent right?... i tried it on practice mode.. and the LDM didn't hit even a pixel! O_o'

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Oct 21, 2005 14:46

Monpochi wrote:Hmm.. in 2k3... his LDM hits the opponent right?... i tried it on practice mode.. and the LDM didn't hit even a pixel! O_o'
It does connect, but for pitiful damage.

His new XI LDM is a followup from that "mode change" if you will. After the explosion, he rushes forward with a heat drive style attack. It can be dream cancelled off his QCFx2+K DM and still connect...scary.

Monpochi
Cancel Combo Mode

Post by Monpochi » Sat Oct 22, 2005 01:42

well... i saw in the vids that most of the demos show the opponent that's gonna be used the Dream Cancel at had less life... meaning that it wouldn't be that abused... (but then again, the turtling... gah.. )

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Wed Oct 26, 2005 14:08

I saw a bit of Ash, he's still pretty much the same except...

Weak attack into b+B doesn't seem to link.

C version of fireball tends to stay a bit longer than before. This is just what it seems like to me.

f+A is not omfg slow anymore by itself. It's a lot faster compared to before, and is a pretty good wakeup weapon.