Shen (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
shura
Charging...50%
Charging...50%

Post by shura » Fri Jul 28, 2006 19:09

dobiqwolf wrote: if you cancel the LDM from any move you wont get the gorilla animation and the LDM wont hit at all.
if gorilla animation= LDM hits+OTG
yes and it lose even its juggle prop

inuko
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by inuko » Tue Aug 08, 2006 04:53

Honestly, I just kind of skimmed through this topic real quickly to see if anyone mentioned anything about this.

Starting up his LDM (not cancelling it or anything) can be countered...

See, my friend had my Blue Mary cornered with his Shen, decided to LDM. I was aiming for dodge/grab move, but somehow...it ended up countering. The flames burst and everything but he got countered. >_>;;; It was so WTF that the guy who works there at a counter half way across the arcade had to come over and go "...whoa, did I see that right?!"

Just thought I'd point that out :(

Oh. Theoretically, this probably means you can LDM-counter back xD Haven't tried, I do plan on it though.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Kane317 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 08:38

inuko wrote:Honestly, I just kind of skimmed through this topic real quickly to see if anyone mentioned anything about this.

Starting up his LDM (not cancelling it or anything) can be countered...

See, my friend had my Blue Mary cornered with his Shen, decided to LDM. I was aiming for dodge/grab move, but somehow...it ended up countering. The flames burst and everything but he got countered. >_>;;; It was so WTF that the guy who works there at a counter half way across the arcade had to come over and go "...whoa, did I see that right?!"

Just thought I'd point that out :(

Oh. Theoretically, this probably means you can LDM-counter back xD Haven't tried, I do plan on it though.
LOL, I knomw what to do next if I'm using Oswald or Geese playing my friend's Shen (who happens to like to spam the LDM haphazardly =)

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Tue Oct 10, 2006 06:01

qcf*2+C seems to have a critical property. It isn't all that noticable by itself but at the end of a longish QS that random extra damage can make the super scale from 10%ish to 30% of the bottom of the bar.

dobiqwolf
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by dobiqwolf » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:47

Slapper Joe wrote:qcf*2+C seems to have a critical property. It isn't all that noticable by itself but at the end of a longish QS that random extra damage can make the super scale from 10%ish to 30% of the bottom of the bar.
I didnt know that, in fact I dont really use the shen woo punch DM that much, only if i am far and want to punish(with shen I am most of the time near my opponent).
When I think of shen fighting style I can understand why he will get critical property for some of his moves, I think some characters should get that bonus as well(ralf) like it was in '96
I believe there is much more to find in this game.

Makashi_Menace
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by Makashi_Menace » Tue Oct 10, 2006 16:47

Jump D, Stand C, Fwd+B, Qcf C, HEADBUTT DM works easily for loads of damage.

Note that you must use Qcf C instead of Qcf A, because Qcf C hits in deeper to allow the super-cancel into HEADBUTT DM to connnect.

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Wed Nov 08, 2006 06:41

I don't know if anyone has been using qcf/qcb+E that much, but I've found some decent uses for it in match with a friend.

- Responding to jump-ins. During our matches, whenever my friend would try a long distance jump in, I responeded with QCF+E. When timed right, Shen Woo moves and recovers at the same time (if not earlier).

- Responding to hops. By using qcf+E to move away from the opponent, Shen Woo moves to a fairly safe distance from them.

- Following up st.E, or following up knockdowns in the corner. After st.E, qcf+E puts you right next to the opponent, or qcb+E will move you into hop distance.

- Disrupting Rhythmn. By using qcb+E to interrupt a run, or after a hop/jump I found that the move becomes a wonderful tool for mind games.

Some of these may seem like common sense, but during most of the match videos I've seen I haven't really seen Shen Woo players really utilizing (to what I believe) is this moves full potential.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Wed Nov 08, 2006 06:58

I use it to empty cancel from a CD (E) attack. It CD gets blocked, qcb+E out..........

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Wed Nov 08, 2006 14:27

Yes if st.E is blocked, following up wit hqcb+E is a nice way to force a whiff. Also if you do qcf+E you should recover at the same time that your opponent is out of blockstun.

Nice little mind game setup:

st.E (blocked), qcf+E, hcb.f+C, xx DM.
st.E (blocked), qcf+E, hcb.f+C xx qcf*2+K, xxDC (CABC), st.C, f+B, qcf+C
st.E (blocked), qcb+E, opponent whiffs, qcf*2+P

I think I'll do some testing at some point to see how effective the followup punch is.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Nov 10, 2006 14:02

Hmm, I'm not sure about the effectiveness of the punch followup. On one hand, it's fairly safe on block. On the other hand, the hitbox is fairly small, and Shen gets knocked out of it easily.

I didn't get to do thorough testing, but from what I noticed, you can't seem to cancel into the dodge except by whiff canceling his standing E. I tried st.C > f+B > qcb+E and nothing came out. Was it just sloppy motioning on my part, or you can't cancel into it?

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Fri Nov 10, 2006 20:34

The former.

s.C> f+B> qcf+E> hcb, f+C is a standard Shen tick string.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Nov 10, 2006 21:19

OK, thanks.

Blastrezz

Post by Blastrezz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 09:49

I mentioned the assumption somewhere else already but yesterday evening I confirmed it myself to be VERY sure.

Shen's Sweep (c.D) is unblockable if you use it as a meaty against a knock-downed opponent! Just try to time it in the way that the opponent sprite kind of wakes up in Shen's leg animation.

Errr.... awkward description. I hope you understand. Just try a few times you'll get it.

--Blast

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:57

If you watch a character waking up in a crouching position there is a frame where they are actually standing before going right back down. If I remember right, you want to stick your foot out right before that frame and they will get knocked down right after that standing frame, basically a super late meaty.

It looks like you are knocking them down because of that standing frame. This is obviously not the real reason because it doesn't work for other characters where trying this ends up with the attack wiffing instead. This is the best way I can think of to visualize it. Best to just try yourself, it only takes a few attempts to get the timing down.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by SonicWaver » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35

Slapper Joe wrote:If you watch a character waking up in a crouching position there is a frame where they are actually standing before going right back down. If I remember right, you want to stick your foot out right before that frame and they will get knocked down right after that standing frame, basically a super late meaty.

It looks like you are knocking them down because of that standing frame. This is obviously not the real reason because it doesn't work for other characters where trying this ends up with the attack wiffing instead. This is the best way I can think of to visualize it. Best to just try yourself, it only takes a few attempts to get the timing down.
still not abusable (as Oswald´s df+A on incoming charas) because opponent could just safe roll out of it after the first c.D, right?