Shen (XI)

Post by Photon » Mon Jun 13, 2005 03:09

Doesn't need additional moves to kick your ass. :B

Xenogias
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Xenogias » Fri Jun 17, 2005 15:49

I still dont know much about Shen Woo in XI, but he is my newest "Favorite" character. I like how he plays even though hese lacking moves.

Does he have any new moves going for him? Im sure, SNKP must've realized this themselves... It'd be nice if he had some sort of button mash combo (no im not a button masher, I mean something like E.Honda's 100 Hand Slap or Vanessa's hcf+p aka "body upper" :P) atleast.

Actually I wouldn't mind if he played similar to Vanessa, atleast a bit more agressive. But Vanessa is a great rush down character, she does alot of chip damage if you got your enemy on the corner blocking (short jump, hk, hp, body upper x4/x5 repeat - not that effective if you know how to get out of it but its useful). Anyway, dont mean to go into Vanessa, but yeah. Im glad that she is also in this game.

EDIT: and yeah forgive my SF terminology while I throw out more specific notes like ehh... saying "Short Jump". but anyway yeah... I prefer that cause its simpler than anything else (I hate Tekken/GG Terminology btw... yah).

EDIT2: Actually I think I ment to say short jump forward into hk in mid air, then s.HP, body upper chip - but if you dont want to block it then I guess thats you :P).

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Jun 17, 2005 18:15

I heard somewhere he got a new move...supposedly an autocombo of some sort.

Monpochi
Cancel Combo Mode
A.K.A.:Credens Justitiam

Post by Monpochi » Fri Jun 17, 2005 20:29

Used Shen Woo out of curiosity a day earlier..... and i have to agree... even with the small movelist, he can still PWN someone. :P (Specially the Kagura sisters... LOL )

SS: Autocombo?.... What does that mean?..

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sat Jun 18, 2005 05:35

If there is an autocombo move, then bitchslap is redunant???

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Sat Jun 18, 2005 15:15

I heard that he got a grab move?

r3v3n4nT
Cancel Combo Mode
A.K.A.:YOUR DAD.
Currently Playing:YOUR ASS.

Post by r3v3n4nT » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:13

grab then auto combo? maybe?

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sun Jun 19, 2005 15:00

what shen really needs more is an anti-air, or some sort of high priority special. an uppercut would suit him heaps good

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Sat Aug 13, 2005 03:34

~!T.T!~ wrote:what shen really needs more is an anti-air, or some sort of high priority special. an uppercut would suit him heaps good
No he doesn't, 100% pure offensive and no true effective defense; that's what Shen is supposed to be, he doesn't need defensive moves, he needs more moves to keep him on the offensive side.

He is like the Nests team on 2002, but to the extreme

7d3j
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by 7d3j » Sat Aug 13, 2005 15:54

I can never understand how can such a character be so popular... :D

Find his all offensive style just a tad tiring to handle.

PaGaN 3l3m3nts
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by PaGaN 3l3m3nts » Thu Aug 25, 2005 18:16

Err... Is it just me, or in the new screenshots at the official KoF XI sight, is Shen cancelling Ash's projectile with his bitch slap move?

Mr1337
Charging...85%
Charging...85%
Currently Playing:Demigod (PC), Drakensang (PC), Team Fortress 2 (PC)
Location:In my secret volcano lair, plotting world domination.

Post by Mr1337 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 19:00

Yes, he is cancelling the projectile. I think he could do it in 2003. It also seems now if he does it successfully, it becomes an energy ball that is thrown away DBZ style.

dipolartech
Is it a bot?

Post by dipolartech » Fri Sep 30, 2005 08:45

To be honest the only thing on my wish list for Shen woo in KOFXI is if they gave him K''s standing D. That would give him anti air with out giving him upprcut crap and wouldn't alter the important stuff like headbutt punishment for daring to do any move with start up lag within its range. qcfx2+A anyone?

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Tue Oct 25, 2005 16:11

Okay.

My first comments go to my fav character in 2k3, Shen Woo, since he kicked so much butt for me (ask SS =P).

I think Shen got toned down.

His far B is redrawn and isn't as far as his 2k3 version, about 1/4th of a fullscreen. It is still a rather effective poke however.

A lot of his moves are redrawn, his close B, his far C, his far D, his close C, his crouching A and his close D. Of course he also got this new CD attack (or is it E attack?). Most of the normals just look slightly differently from 2k3.

Close B is the most changed of the lot. Think something like Benimari's close D but much weaker. Doesn't affect much on his gameplay.

Far D is still a good pre-emp anti-air even though he seems to kick higher than before, slightly. Crouching A can still link from a crouching B.

Close C is sorta instant. Think of a quick gut punch of sorts. It's...not as good as the 2k3 version. I'm not sure why. It just feels weird and halfway through playing him I did close D instead.

His CD attack is two straight punches at the same time. Not exactly the best CD attack since I never got to use it much. In the air it's pretty standard to me thus far.

I think Shen lost his f+D even though I saw the CPU did it once after a (what I assumed) f+B. It's prolly a different command.

Onto the command and special moves.

f+B (SHEN WOO KICK), it's here, but I never used it much. I never used it much in 2k3 either, so I can't really comment on this.

qcf+P (SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE), just pretty much the same as 2k3 even though I think Shen moves slower than before. I haven't tried to SC it yet.

qcb+A (SHEN WOO HAMMER THINGY), this thing lost a lot of range. At times I do jump D, close C, and then qcb+A, it sometimes misses when the opponent blocks. That's not supposed to happen in 2k3. Anyway, the good thing is that when it's blocked, Shen Woo gets pushed back a lot farther.

qcf+A after qcb+A (SHEN WOO FOLLOWUP), I only did it after the qcb+A hits. I didn't even bother doing it when qcb+A is blocked. I guess I'll try it out when qcb+A is blocked, but I guess that means a free hit since you're getting closer to the opponent after a blocked qcb+A (see above).

hcb,f+C (SHEN WOO AUTOCOMBO), new move. Think of it as a grab, instead of SHEN WOO BITCHSLAP you get this new move which seems to work like a grab, sorta like Ash's hcf+C. If it hits, Shen does two hits, and get pushed back about one character space apart. Then you can followup with something else, preferably a DM.

? (SHEN WOO BITCHSLAP), I only did this once by accident and never managed to do it again. Dunno why.

Onto the supers.

qcfx2+P (SHEN WOO PUNCH), actually looks much less impressive than the 2k3 version. I think it travels a bit slower too, maybe it's the game. Still has the wire damage when it counters, and you can follow up with SHEN WOO HEADBUTT. Not much is changed from what I see here, just that it looks unimpressive.

qcfx2+K (SHEN WOO HEADBUTT), horrible lag when it's blocked. So you can't do bs like SHEN WOO HEADBUTT x2 after the first one gets blocked. You must be careful with this DM.

C,A,B,C (SHEN WOO GOES SSJ), never bothered to use Shen as a leader yet.

Putting Shen Woo as the first guy isn't a good idea anymore since you do not start with any super meters. He still does pretty good damage, just that I think he got toned down.

Edit:

I just remembered one of the reasons I think Shen got toned down. Err he runs slower, unlike in 2k3 where he's pretty much the fastest runner.

7d3j
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by 7d3j » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:04

HOLY.

You got ALL that down after playing how many games?