Malin (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Jan 13, 2006 09:39

Yes, Malin is quite a terror as Leader. Her LDM almost makes her other nerfings forgivable. Almost. I'm not upset with Malin getting nerfed. I'm upset with her getting nerfed and SNKP not changing her moves to better suit her new playing style. Instead, you'll most likely lose a few matches before you realize you're not supposed to use her the way you do in 2k3. Malin's fundamental playing style changed, which is why her nerfings is extremely noticable compared with Duo Lon. Duo Lon's been nerfed, but only people who abuse his infinite are really going to complain about it. Otherwise, you can still play him more or less like you did in 2k3, except he's poorer in air-to-air battles.

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by frionel » Fri Jan 13, 2006 14:50

The main problem about duolon's nerfing (without playing with the "infinite") is that the 3rd qcf P don't launch, so you loose all his crazy mindgames... Also that his teleport and command grab are weaker than before, and the lost of his air-to-air abilities.

Malin plays totaly different than she was on 2k3... she became a crazy offensive character, and I bet that she'll climb the tiers ranking very soon (in China they talks about Malin being an anti Gato...)

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Jan 13, 2006 17:33

Actually, I find Duo Lon's 3rd qcf+P not juggling having some advantage of its own, althoug it's also lost some advantages. Since it doesn't knock down, it also means you can keep up the pressure by poking opponent repeatedly, or setup his command throw.

Malin's saving grave in XI is damage and her insanely good LDM. She makes a poor defensive character or zoner now. So long as you can keep up the offensive pressure with her, she's strong. But once you lose momentum, you're going to have a hard time. Still, despite all the nerfings she's had, I'd gladly pick her any day over Athena. And her LDM makes her very nasty indeed. Unlike Athena where I'm forced to put her as leader just so it doesn't turn into a downright handicap match.

Yes, as you can guess, I utterly hate Athena in XI. She was nerfed enough in 2k3. I doubted SNKP could make her worse, but I guess I was wrong.

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Fri Jan 13, 2006 17:59

I don't see where the qcf P x 3 has an advantage in XI... In 2k3, even if it was a launcher, you could still pressure, after a mind game with the landing oponent, so it was even worse for him in any other way than KOF XI one...

For Malin, I think she still have defense possibilities with her two supers and her LDM... hard to attack her "just like that" when she gots power stock..

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Fri Jan 13, 2006 23:46

If I remember right her dp+ps are actually overheads. Might be useful info.

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Sat Jan 14, 2006 04:33

Also forgot to mention: Her qcf x2 k dms have better invulnerability this year, I think. I'm hit out of it far less often than I was in 2k3. I'm not sure if you can still connect a air qcf x 2 p DM if you're hit out of it like you could in 2k3, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could, even with the slower speed of her air dm.

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Sat Jan 14, 2006 16:07

You still can connect an air qcfx2 P super after a qcfx2 K that hits just a single hit...

I'll try if you can connect the LDM after it.... (I hope that we can't...)

_KC_
Charging...80%
Charging...80%

Post by _KC_ » Fri Feb 24, 2006 16:00

is her foward b an overhead?
her dp a/c cant be followed by directional AC?

her pokes are still good though and her jump c is somewhat strong...
i just dont get it why some say that malin is b tier even without her LDM...

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Fri Feb 24, 2006 16:36

- her forward B when used alone is an overhead
- her dp A/C can't followed by directional AC like 2k3

Malin is strong because she's really fast, good damage and stun damage from a safe on guard combo (but it can be avoided by using an on-guard roll)

Excellent Supers... perfect anti-air, and anti-move/fireball/dodge

Combo into super cancel from cr B

Good distance game by using her yoyos and her E attack/sliding

One of the best jump in the game (with Adelheid)

She can be with no problem B rank and A with her LDM

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Fri Feb 24, 2006 20:41

frionel wrote:(but it can be avoided by using an on-guard roll)
Not really. If Malin uses the B version of the Tazer, and you guard roll forward, she recovers faster and can stand C/D you again. Unless you meant rolling backwards... in which case she just forced you to waste a level from that awesome jump-in C of hers. Still good.

I agree with everything else. Malin is really good.

furix
I'm not a bot! :3
I'm not a bot! :3

Post by furix » Fri Feb 24, 2006 23:48

Malin rocks, her BnB is such an awesome way to quick shift, as her QCF+B leaves the opponent in stun for long enough, not to count that her BnB does excellent damage.

Ratix0
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by Ratix0 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 13:23

Any tricks to using her LDM?

Yeah I picked malin up today and i'm surprised at how fast she is... And how she can really rush down. I managed to beat someone with all 3 of their chars with just 1 malin by spamming her jump hit priority and her basic BnB lol.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:20

you can punish malin if you roll at the fwd B or her combo. i got counter hit by jazu's E and im sure other people can get a standing C combo.

and malin's jump attacks are overrated imo. jump E looks the shit for interrupting air to air, but does a half arsed job. Its more like a 50/50 gamble: will the opponent hit me first or not?

jump C is even worse. as a jump in, air to ground is good, but duck's jump D beats it clean. jump D, same thing, a little worse air to ground.

still, throwing a yoyo to bait kick super is so fun :)

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 20:31

WTF IK is playing Malin?! HAS HELL FROZEN OVER?!

Well that's cos I saw her being played in vids and noticed a COMPLETE 180 reversal of her playing style. Instead of pussy keepaway/space control like she had in 2k3, she's now forced to be in the guy's face to be effective.

So I just need to learn a few basics for her. Now that she no longer has the space control capabililties of her overpowered 2k3 self, what should she generally be doing at full, 3/4th, 1/2, and 1/4th screen? What do I use for antiair on the ground? What about air to air? Someone here mentioned her jump D sucks as air to air, so should I try use her jump A or B to stop people? What about her air qcf x 2 + P super?

What about her hop D? It used to be a ridiculously scrubby crossover button that required almost no strict timing or spacing to get it to crossover. The animation for it looks different? She doesn't seem to do a 270 degree swipe with her foot like she did before?

Thanks in advance. Her 0-1 frame LDM (lol Seth's qcf x 2 + P) would make her a horror in my team...

hanzo_wong
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by hanzo_wong » Tue Apr 04, 2006 19:07

well, tried with malin today...was trying for fun but did you guys know that after her qcfx2 air DM, you can actually LDM...kinda cute but not sure of the damage though... so perhaps you guys can try j C, s C, f B, qcf A, qcfx2 C, after DM animation finishes LDM opp on ground...