Malin (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
InFeCt|oN
Charging...99%
Charging...99%
Malin (XI)

Post by InFeCt|oN » Sat Jun 11, 2005 00:13

Reports say she's nerfed. I say in 2k3 she could do nothing but turtle and now they remove her ability to turtle. With the new time over system and her lowered effectiveness I expect her to be one of the low tiers/underused characters of the game, but that's just me. Everyone else is probably going "Turtling bitch! Die and burn in hell! Bwahahahaha!"

Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much
A.K.A.:BROsuke
Currently Playing:A lot of things
PSN:KagaminKyousuke

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Sat Jun 11, 2005 00:25

If her jumping D remains the same (or they didn't nerfed it a lot) Marin will still own the aerial space.

And yay @ her yoyos being slowed down.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sat Jun 11, 2005 07:29

But Malin is toptier!!!
At least she was in 2k3. :ppp

InFeCt|oN
Charging...99%
Charging...99%

Post by InFeCt|oN » Sat Jun 11, 2005 20:06

Kyosuke Kagami wrote:If her jumping D remains the same (or they didn't nerfed it a lot) Marin will still own the aerial space.

And yay @ her yoyos being slowed down.
That's like saying Chris can pwn as long as he can jump CD, which he probably can but it's going to be really really boring.

Vice Vecta
Almost there! ...74%
Almost there! ...74%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Vice Vecta » Thu Oct 20, 2005 19:27

According to this picture (one of the latest ones from the KOF XI official site)... she seems she got an upwards anti-air yo-yo move, pretty much like Kane's sparrow drop. Interesting stuff.

Monpochi
Cancel Combo Mode
A.K.A.:Credens Justitiam

Post by Monpochi » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:35

Gooooooooooood! More Malin cosmetic changes!

I'm wondering.. if this is an anti-air.. then her Suzume bachi (is that the air slashes move thingie?).... got slower? Oh no...

InFeCt|oN
Charging...99%
Charging...99%

Post by InFeCt|oN » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:48

Close C/D, 6B, 236B
Close C/D, 6B, 236236E

but dear god... she sucks arse

Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much
A.K.A.:BROsuke
Currently Playing:A lot of things
PSN:KagaminKyousuke

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Wed Nov 30, 2005 21:13

:O

My... Marin's sprite was toned up!

:( I'm so happy!

Monpochi
Cancel Combo Mode
A.K.A.:Credens Justitiam

Post by Monpochi » Thu Dec 01, 2005 06:18

That's a Swan transformation for you...

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sat Dec 31, 2005 05:27

I think Malin is still quite useable. She inflicts much more damage compared to 2k3.

Down b, Down a, qcf A, SC to Qcf*2 C takes off quite a bit.

LDM seems pretty invincible and fast too.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:35

Malin got nerfed big time. She can only have one yo-yo onscreen at a time, and all of her direction+AC moves are a lot slower than they did in 2k3. Quite frankly, I shove her to second place when I get her during roulettes. She isn't terrible, but most of the time, you'll be using her BnB combo, and chances are, you won't try to followup his dp+P because they come out so slowly now that if you mistimed it, you're begging to be walloped.

Duo Lon got nerfed, but he's still a high pressure character. Malin just got nerfed without any real compensations. Higher damage combos is good, but not if you can't score hits in the first place.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Sat Dec 31, 2005 20:21

Vice Vecta wrote:Image

According to this picture (one of the latest ones from the KOF XI official site)... she seems she got an upwards anti-air yo-yo move, pretty much like Kane's sparrow drop. Interesting stuff.
how is this move performed? I read the faq, but it doesnt seem to be listed.

f+B links to qcf B now.

Overall, her gameplay has changed.. just like athena..She can only air AC twice now GRRR... Although she can only throw 1 yo-yo, the B version is still very effective.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Sat Dec 31, 2005 23:52

It is the ending frames of her E

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Thu Jan 12, 2006 19:03

As per AcidicEnema's request...

Yes, Malin has changed quite a bit from her 2k3 incarnation. Then, she was the queen of run away - the highest jumps in the game, a triangle jump, her air suzume-bachi moves (any direction + 2 punches) covering huge swathes of distance at great priority, yoyos that stuck out forever, great air priority, and even an air super that could punish anyone who dared throwing any kind of fireball at her from a full screen away.

In XI, we find:

- Triangle jump removed
- Yoyo's stick out for lesser period of time, and you're limited to one on screen
- air super (qcf x2 p in air) slowed *dramatically*
- distance covered by air suzume bachi cut down *drastically*. Also, I think you can only change directions once.

In return, however, she's gained:
- a 0 frame (or close enough) LDM that takes a huge chunk of life, especially on counter hit.
- jump c, c, fwd b, qcf b combo that's good damage, safe on block, pretty safe on opponent guard cancelling roll, and offers decent guard crush potential. Also, qcf b can be super cancelled into her LDM.
- a stand E move that covers a large swathe in front and diagonally upwards from her.

The way to play her in XI, I find, isn't to try and salvage her run away / yoyo space control game that served her so well in 2k3, but simply to adapt a new strategy of rushing your opponent down. Hyper hop jump C is your friend - it's quick, covers a lot of space, stays out for quite a while, and is very good priority. From there, just keep doing her bread and butter c, fwd b, qcf b.

Other small tricks:
Launch a yoyo when your opponent's far away, then stand E. The yoyo basically encourages your opponent to try and jump and attack you. The stand E covers that.

Learn to use her slide well. Malin's *VERY* short while she's doing it, and it has pretty good range and is safe on block as long as you don't do it at or near point-blank distance.

Her a attacks are still very good pokes - fast, quick, and high priority.

Abuse her LDM. Put her last and use it to stuff people's moves/anti-air/inflict good combo damage off a c, fwd b. It's so fast that it'll hit Duck King as he's doing a down a, something that even Benimaru's LDM can't do. Her LDM doesn't seem to have any invulnerability at all, as I've very often been hit while doing it, but it's SO FAST that I've never at least traded hits. It also has a deceptive vertical range, which you can use to anti-air pretty nicely with.

That said, I find that without the threat of her LDM, she suffers quite a bit. Similiar to Athena, except that I find that with her rush down/guard crush possibilities, she offers something even when you don't have enough stocks to do a leader with impunity.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Jan 12, 2006 20:35

Even 'huge chunk of life' is a bit of an understatement. That thing does around 70% on counter... Along with its speed, I dare say its even better than, say, Mushiki in 2k3 was.